Marc Guehi

gdm

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think we know it's close, just depends what Palace's appetite for risk is. 

If it’s close, I just can’t see them risking missing out on 60 odd million for him to get injured.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely the plan is for him to succeed Schar. 

I agree, but why buy now at his absolute peak if we are letting him replace Schar who is going to be solid this season.

Again I dont think its a bad signing, but we are buying a guy at his absolute peak based of an international tournament. Just doesn't seem overly smart.

Just now, TRC said:

I agree, but why buy now at his absolute peak if we are letting him replace Schar who is going to be solid this season.

Again I dont think its a bad signing, but we are buying a guy at his absolute peak based of an international tournament. Just doesn't seem overly smart.

Not sure he’s at his absolute peak, he’s only 24.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

He’s not at his peak. He’s an investment for the future and insurance for now and will immediately strengthen us as we rampage the league for a UCL finish.

:howe:

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

He’s not at his peak. He’s an investment for the future and insurance for now and will immediately strengthen us as we rampage the league for a UCL finish.

:howe:

Peak value at palace is what I meant. We could come back in Jan for 45m when Palace are mid table and not pushing for Europe or going down.

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

Peak value at palace is what I meant. We could come back in Jan for 45m when Palace are mid table and not pushing for Europe or going down.

They don’t want to risk loosing him. He’s our No1 target. I’m trusting the process. We could “get by” with our RW. I hope we upgrade there but if we have an injury to Schär or Burn we’re fooked at the back.

48 minutes ago, TRC said:

Still not fully understanding this transfer. I get the need for a CB, but a RW is much bigger need. I dont think its opportunistic either was we are paying a club record fee for someone if Botman was fit wouldnt start for us imo.

I suppose the thinking is we scored a shitload of goals last season but our defence was often pretty poor.

16 minutes ago, TRC said:

Someone else would likely buy him soon.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

I suppose the thinking is we scored a shitload of goals last season but our defence was often pretty poor.

We also have the option of playing Barnes - Isak - Gordon. Plus Howe has previously championed having Joelinton LW in certain fixtures which would push Gordon or Barnes to the right.

Absolutely agree that we could do with a quality RW but we aren't bereft of options even if you take Almiron & Murphy out of the equation. 

3 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

This was due to lack of legs in midfield imo.

23 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If you thought four bids was a lot...

Embedding a none related tweet when we're all gasping for a meaningful update. 

Fuck you the prophet. 

Edited by Wilson

7 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

We did, although I don’t think we will score as many this season. Games last season were chaotic and led to some mental games. Ideally we have much more control this season.

27 minutes ago, TRC said:

He will be replacing Botman for most of this season. He won't be seen til about Christmas time with his injury. Then it means he doesn't need to be rushed back again. Schar is out of contract next summer and he'll be 33 by then

16 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

And having someone who has pace as well as being good on the ball means we can push up a bit and close that gap between midfield and defence which killed us at times last season (together with Pope being out who helps with that too). He can also go up against quick strikers which is a weakness of ours too though Kelly and Tino help with this. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

He will be replacing Botman for most of this season. He won't be seen til about Christmas time with his injury. Then it means he doesn't need to be rushed back again. Schar is out of contract next summer and he'll be 33 by then

We have Kelly and Burn who can play LCB, Guehi is better than both but not a required upgrade imo.

Botman will not be back this season imo. Mings did his 12 months ago and isn't ready yet. 

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We did, although I don’t think we will score as many this season. Games last season were chaotic and led to some mental games. Ideally we have much more control this season.

More control, more goals.

:tobey:

1 minute ago, TRC said:

We have Kelly and Burn who can play LCB, Guehi is better than both but not a required upgrade imo.

Botman will not be back this season imo. Mings did his 12 months ago and isn't ready yet. 

Guehi is absolutely a required upgrade. We scored 100+ goals last season with a defence significantly poorer than the season prior.