Marc Guehi

gdm

I seem to be in a minority but if it’s a choice between Guehi and a RW I’d choose Guehi. 

Getting back to the mean defence of the champions league placing season is a must. We scored more than enough goals last season. Think people’s at times brutal disdain for Almiron is swaying opinions, but we aren’t linked with a game changing RW (I’d take Madueke but he’s no great shakes so far).

Guehi/Botman potentially sorts us for years and years to come.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

I think a lot of people probably feel like this due to the ‘saga’ nature of how it’s played out.

Had it just came out as ‘done’ in the way Isak kinda did, people would be a lot more excited, regardless of price.

I find it hard to overlook the price personally, I know some will say it doesn’t matter and it’s not my money but ultimately we have to pay for this deal and it will have an impact on how much we have to spend elsewhere. 

65m is a really high price for us to pay for a centre back. 

Just now, Crimson Cardigan said:

I seem to be in a minority but if it’s a choice between Guehi and a RW I’d choose Guehi. 

Getting back to the mean defence of the champions league placing season is a must. We scored more than enough goals last season. Think people’s at times brutal disdain for Almiron is swaying opinions, but we aren’t linked with a game changing RW (I’d take Madueke but he’s no great shakes so far).

You can add me to that minority.  I think CB is more pressing than RW - though RW is the other obvious weak point. 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hard transfer to know how I feel. Think we’re paying too much and harming ourselves later down the line or even in this window (for the RW position). I really like Guehi, fantastic attitude and would be able to nail the position down for the rest of his peak years. Despise Parish and how he’s carried on. I’d personally look elsewhere and prioritise the RW signing. Not going to be ecstatic or disappointed if Guehi signs, just somewhere in the middle 

Aye, personally would have thought that a younger CB to potentially sit behind Schar for the year would have made sense.

RW is the more glaring weakness for me.

Hopefully we have something sexy lined up, be it a loan to buy or maybe we'll be able to offload a couple of squad options and get a permanent deal done for a quality option.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You can add me to that minority.  I think CB is more pressing than RW - though RW is the other obvious weak point. 

Same. If Schar picks up an injury we're knackered.

I remember Howe talking a fair bit about having great leadership and character around the place, and how much that kept standards up and impacted the younger players day to day.

He spoke of this in regards to Dummet and Ritchie, and was the reason why had we qualified for Europe he would have kept them on.

I think it's a big part of why he is so keen on Guehi, and willing to go so high, especially with both Dummet and Ritchie leaving. Would have also been a big attraction for getting Kelly in too, who also captained Bournemouth.

Also looks like Guehi already has a really good friendship with Gordon, which would just be another bonus, especially with Liverpool trying to unsettle him.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Our defence was poor for long spells last season - not helped by having Dubravka behind them, admittedly - but I think Guehi would be a transformative signing.  He is head and shoulders above all the other centre half options we have fit at the moment, and him and Botman could be solid pairing for many years to come 

Exactly this , we need a new right winger everyone knows that but scoring goals last season was never an issue and it won't be this season , we conceded a boat load of goals and that's what hampered us .

4 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

Good point re: goals.

Despite all the injuries and extra games last season we scored 85 league goals.

4th behind City (96), Arsenal (91) and Liverpool (86)

Conceding 62 was our problem..

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I find it hard to overlook the price personally, I know some will say it doesn’t matter and it’s not my money but ultimately we have to pay for this deal and it will have an impact on how much we have to spend elsewhere. 

65m is a really high price for us to pay for a centre back. 

It is, but it somehow feels more because every step of the negotiations has played out in public, so it’s created the perception that we’re stretching ourselves to meet (hopefully) whatever the final price is. 

If we didn’t know about all the bids/negotiations and we just heard ‘X price agreed’, I reckon we’d feel less concerned about it.

Just now, gbandit said:

Dubravka and Jow being out were bigger factors than our defence last season 

Dubravka was a nightmare, but the lack of anything resembling pace at centre half was a massive problem - I think a Botman/Guehi partnership is immediately one of the best in the division.  And we’re not getting anywhere if we’re shipping the number of goals we did last season.  The defence needed fixing. 

You can sign Boumsong for free, mate.

Ok, but how about £8m. Will you accept £8m for him?

I said ... wait, yeah, ok. Idiot. 

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

For £65M, he better be the generational superstar that Parish claims he is. 

Well he know he isn't, CBs don't generally become generational superstars. But he could still be a very good player for us. 

3 minutes ago, JP said:

Good point re: goals.

Despite all the injuries and extra games last season we scored 85 league goals.

4th behind City (96), Arsenal (91) and Liverpool (86)

Conceding 62 was our problem..

Yet some people on here still don't get it?

Just now, SteV said:

It is, but it somehow feels more because every step of the negotiations has played out in public, so it’s created the perception that we’re stretching ourselves to meet (hopefully) whatever the final price is. 

If we didn’t know about all the bids/negotiations and we just heard ‘X price agreed’, I reckon we’d feel less concerned about it.

I hear you, but my alarm bells have been ringing since the moment these figures were mentioned which is a shame as he’s a good player. 

As mentioned before, the fee plus the wages will cost us around 20m per year, that’s a huge hole to fill. 

Idk man, it just feels we could use that money better at RW Schar is a much better Cb than Murphy or Miggy are a right wing. 

let me put into some hopium and say let’s get both a top class rw and Cb and not fall foul of psr haha