Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

I seem to be in a minority but if it’s a choice between Guehi and a RW I’d choose Guehi. 

Getting back to the mean defence of the champions league placing season is a must. We scored more than enough goals last season. Think people’s at times brutal disdain for Almiron is swaying opinions, but we aren’t linked with a game changing RW (I’d take Madueke but he’s no great shakes so far).

Guehi/Botman potentially sorts us for years and years to come.

Looking like we may get both, thankfully.

We absolutely need another centre back as the priority though, agreed.

However, I think having a right winger that can threaten more is going to have a much bigger impact than many realise.

It will give us so much more balance and take some pressure off Gordon on the left. If it can also allow us to have more attacking threat and sustain more attacks, that will also push teams back more, and in turn means less pressure on our defence too.

Things breaking down on that right side when Almiron and Longstaff featured together, sometimes led to dangerous counters attacks against us and more last ditch defending.

A lot of people think we’re ‘overpaying’ - Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have all paid this sort of money for a centre back at least once (sometimes significantly more).  £65m is not overpaying for a first choice England international centre back.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

A lot of people think we’re ‘overpaying’ - Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have all paid this sort of money for a centre back at least once (sometimes significantly more).  £65m is not overpaying for a first choice England international centre back.  

Newcastle had fallen so far behind, we can't even imagine spending this kind of money on a defender.

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You can add me to that minority.  I think CB is more pressing than RW - though RW is the other obvious weak point. 

And me as Gordon can also play on the right (but I do think we'll get a RW as well). I think some of the desire to press for Guehi is the personality/character thing. Reading about him from various places....hes a leader, level headed, not a twat.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, madras said:

And me as Gordon can also play on the right (but I do think we'll get a RW as well). I think some of the desire to press for Guehi is the personality/character thing. Reading about him from various places....hes a leader, level headed, not a twat.

And probably now is the most opportunistic time when no-one else seems to be in for him.

1 minute ago, madras said:

If we get Guehi and a RW we’re looking in seriously good nic 

Just now, KaKa said:

Newcastle had fallen so far behind, we can't even imagine spending this kind of money on a defender.

I think that’s exactly it tbh.  This is the ‘going rate’.  And Ashley wouldn’t buy defenders - so we’ve got used to not stumping up big money.

In all honesty, I wish Keegan or Robson had spent big money on top centre backs - we’d have won trophies.  (Woodgate is the only one that came in during that period who was at that level).  A spine of Pope; Botman & Guehi; Bruno; Isak looks pretty damn good to me 

I don't think there is a wrong answer as to which is needed more out of a CB and a RW, both are needed and there are solid arguments to be had for both.

My opinion has swayed from a RW being more important, but I think that is because there has not been an obvious player seemingly available that will really transform us on the RW. If we could have got Olise then RW would have been more important than CB for me because he would have been a mega signing. 

If we can only get someone like a Madueke, who could well be a very good signing, then getting Guehi and improving a leaky defence from last season then feels more important to me. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Not whilst Bruno is here.

Keegan once talked about needing several captains in the dressing room to win trophies (when talking about why we didn’t win things).  I like how many leaders this squad has, and adding Guehi as another is sound thinking.  Who really cares who wears the armband?

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not whilst Bruno is here.

We can have several captains/leaders, but only one has the arm band.

Shearer was England's captain, was Adams any less a leader ?

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, madras said:

We can have several captains/leaders, but only one has the arm band.

Shearer was England's captain, was Adams any less a leader ?

DItto SBR's team - Shearer, Speed, Given, Lee etc

I mentioned a Paul Calf piece about the repetition of news and it's affect on one's empathy 😂

This transfers been a bit like this 👆

"NUFC target Guehi" 

"Yaaaay"....... 

2 weeks later..... 

"NUFC still in the hunt..."

"Fuck him he's NOT that good" 

3nins 38sec, if you're arsed

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

DItto SBR's team - Shearer, Speed, Given, Lee etc

The good BR side didn’t have enough of them, unfortunately.  Lee left relatively early In the 01/02 season.  That side was talented but patently lacking leadership

14 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I don’t see an issue paying 65m for an England international which means you’re effectively sorted at CB for the next 5-6 years or whatever (particularly with Botman coming back at some point)

Won't someone think of the spreadsheet though?

4th top scorers in the league last season. We need a RW obviously but our defence was definitely the issue. As well as lacking a target man up top to take the pressure off late on when we tired, we've hopefully fixed that with Osula.

We were only 8 points off of Villa in the end, keep our fitness issues to a minimum and we should be sound.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

36 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I find it hard to overlook the price personally, I know some will say it doesn’t matter and it’s not my money but ultimately we have to pay for this deal and it will have an impact on how much we have to spend elsewhere. 

65m is a really high price for us to pay for a centre back. 

I always look at the money because I know it will come back to bite us in the arse further down the line. Hence why I was for selling Trippier in January for £12-13m when most thought we should be looking for £20m+.

But I'm ok with spending a bit more on Guehi if it means we don't sign Gomez for £40m. The extra few million on a player under 25 is always better value long term provided we are convinced he is the player we want.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

4th top scorers in the league last season. We need a RW obviously but our defence was definitely the issue. As well as lacking a target man up top to take the pressure off late on when we tired, we've hopefully fixed that with Osula.

We were only 8 points off of Villa in the end, keep our fitness issues to a minimum and we should be sound.

We were only 6 points off Tottenham in 5th place as well, 5th should be CL this season. 

Stick by my original thoughts, that he's not as good as he's made out to be.

People convince themselves when there is a large fee involved, just had a decent tournament for England and therefore is being hyped by media, that we are getting one of the best defenders in the world. He isn't.

I think he is steady and will make the squad stronger, but he won't transform our fortunes. 

But for our record signing we sort of need more than that don't we? 

Happy to hold my hands up and be proved wrong if he helps fire us back into Champions league this season. 

I definitely thought he looked shaky at times in the Euros, but at the same time he made some brilliant interventions. 

Like I said before, statistically his closest matches are Saliba and Gabriel, so that's pretty good. Maybe not the best defenders in the world, but the best defenders in the league. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, alexf said:

People convince themselves when there is a large fee involved, just had a decent tournament for England and therefore is being hyped by media, that we are getting one of the best defenders in the world. He isn't.

Nobody thinks that? General consensus across the forum tends to be he's a very good CB but the price is over-inflated. 

He's at a great age & will likely play for us over multiple years. He's got pace at the back which we're in dire need of. By all accounts he's a leader, which we've lost a few of this summer. 

8 minutes ago, alexf said:

Stick by my original thoughts, that he's not as good as he's made out to be.

I think he is steady and will make the squad stronger, but he won't transform our fortunes. 

But for our record signing we sort of need more than that don't we? 

Happy to hold my hands up and be proved wrong if he helps fire us back into Champions league this season. 

Literally haven’t seen anyone say he’s one of the best defenders in the world