Marc Guehi

gdm

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We were talking about captain as in wearing the armband. However you are spot on about leaders and we definitely need more if Tripps is going. Guehi would help fill that void.

Trippier leaving certainly makes this deal a lot more valuable.

One positive with this deal if it does go through, is that he should form a good partnership with Schar really quickly. He’s been playing with Andersen who is pretty much a Schar clone for a few years now.

27 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Anybody in Kiribati? Nearly tomorrow there. 

Fun fact - Kiribati lies in all 4 hemispheres (N, S, E & W)

Christ we need a signing :lol:

53 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

One positive with this deal if it does go through, is that he should form a good partnership with Schar really quickly. He’s been playing with Andersen who is pretty much a Schar clone for a few years now.

They are both pretty poor in the air? BDB required if they both play. 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Keegan once talked about needing several captains in the dressing room to win trophies (when talking about why we didn’t win things).  I like how many leaders this squad has, and adding Guehi as another is sound thinking.  Who really cares who wears the armband?

I think the character element is the most persuasive part of getting him in. Everything I've heard about him is incredibly positive on that side.

I do wonder if we have enough credit in the bank on that side of things to afford ourselves one dickhead to help bridge the gap at RW for a couple of seasons, though.

9 minutes ago, UpTheToon said:

Poor is harsh. Can't remember any game I've came out if and thought "Schar was dominated in the air there" and those stats it's based on need nuance.

I don't see it as a major issue, however I think Howe will. He liked having Burn at LB for his extra height even with Botman playing CB so I can see him wanting to play Kelly at LB at least against certain opposition that are a bit more physical.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

i wonder if it helps our PSR if we offered £10m more rather than the £5m reported but over a longer repyament schedule.

or does it not work like that?

I'm unclear on how conditional elements of fees work, too.

If (let's say) £10m is based on us qualifying for the CL at least once during his first 5 years with us, and we didn't do that until year 3, how is that handled?

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Poor is harsh. Can't remember any game I've came out if and thought "Schar was dominated in the air there" and those stats it's based on need nuance.

"poor" may be over the top but I'm sure I saw they were ranked next to each other in 70 odd place for defenders heading ability in the prem.  Agree that Schar doesn't appear to lose many in a match but is that because of match ups and we have someone else against the oppositions better header?  not sure.

20 minutes ago, UpTheToon said:

Is this really a problem? We got height in the team from other positions on set pieces.

Guehi is replacing Schar. It would be Guehi + Botman / BDB and Schar on bench.

Surprised that now the deal is 60m worth. If that’s the real price that it’s fine to me

Edited by Zero

2 minutes ago, UpTheToon said:

"poor" may be over the top but I'm sure I saw they were ranked next to each other in 70 odd place for defenders heading ability in the prem.  Agree that Schar doesn't appear to lose many in a match but is that because of match ups and we have someone else against the oppositions better header?  not sure.

image.thumb.png.60aad0037739439959b2cda82f6c8fdb.png

3 hours ago, alexf said:

Stick by my original thoughts, that he's not as good as he's made out to be.

People convince themselves when there is a large fee involved, just had a decent tournament for England and therefore is being hyped by media, that we are getting one of the best defenders in the world. He isn't.

I think he is steady and will make the squad stronger, but he won't transform our fortunes. 

But for our record signing we sort of need more than that don't we? 

Happy to hold my hands up and be proved wrong if he helps fire us back into Champions league this season. 

Basically where I’ve been from day one. Only reason I want us to get HIM is he’s is who EH wants it seems and I back his judgement.

Anything over £52m is an overpay and will be used against us down the line in negotiations for other players which just makes the deal even more expensive. 

If there’s no major update by tomorrow lunchtime I’ll be surprised.

Trust the process though either way 👍🏻

I see twitter is full of Man Utd fans mocking the price we're paying for this and saying how Ashworth is a genius etc - have the morons forgot some of the prices they've paid recently?!

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

I see twitter is full of Man Utd fans mocking the price we're paying for this and saying how Ashworth is a genius etc - have the morons forgot some of the prices they've paid recently?!

Harry Maguire for starters …

8 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Can this guy play CDM? Glasner played him there for one game. 

Wouldn’t get in there for us ahead of Schar.

7 minutes ago, Paully said:

Just read a tweet from a Man United fan saying Livramento, Hall, Gordon, Isak, Botman and Bruno weren't 'smart' buys. Everyone of those players would be sold now for more than we paid [emoji38]

6 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

Just read a tweet from a Man United fan saying Livramento, Hall, Gordon, Isak, Botman and Bruno weren't 'smart' buys. Everyone of those players would be sold now for more than we paid [emoji38]

I don’t think we’d get more than we paid for Livramento or Hall just yet tbh

18 minutes ago, Paully said:

It's Twitter, what do you expect?