Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Because bemoaning PSR and attempting to spend £70m on one defender aren't incompatible but they're about as close as it gets.

But he's not saying that we can't spend anything, he's saying it's absolutely crucial to spend it right in the era of PSR.

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know not everyone will like what we've done but that seems a sensible and honest response. Hardly a suggestion of an internal power struggle between Mitchell and Howe, either. 

It does seem that they may well be in agreement on who they go after i.e. a few they think will be difference makers, and Mitchell is backing Eddie on that.

However, I really hope we can evolve past this going forward because it is only slowing down our progress.

Could maybe still see this happening once Palace confirm the centre backs they are bringing in.

4 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

My understanding of what he was saying about PSR was just that it's the reason we daren't make a mistake.

We could have bought a £15m defender from Europe on OK wages, and once our top target is secured in the next couple  of windows sell him on. Least that way we're not playing kraft at cb or praying schar doesn't go down injured 24 times a game.

It's complete bollocks. Fair play to Eddie for towing the party line and not spitting his dummy, but he must be seething he's saying shit like this.

2 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Maybe he was referring to the longer term effects, and Howe doesn't think an alternative option who he's less sure on that costs £40-50 million is a risk worth taking when it effects how much we can spend in future windows. 

Honestly, I just can't accept that tbh. I'm sure Guehi represents a big step forward for the starting XI, but by not doing anything we're not only resigning ourselves to not making any step forward at all, but jeopardising the steps forward we've already made. 

Even at a basic level it doesn't just seem stubborn, but also a huge 'can't see the wood for the trees' situation in about 3 different ways. I can't believe he would be this daft. 

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Are there loads of players out there that A) fit the player profile, B) fit the price structure, C) fit the wage structure, D) fit the no dick head policy, and E) are happy to join with no European football?

Maybe not loads, but definitely more than Guehi. Do you genuinely believe there are no other players out there we could have gotten to improve the squad. (At a more reasonable price as well).

6 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

He’s absolutely right… and precisely why people on here including myself can’t stand the excessive over the top negativity. When this club and its supporters are aligned, we’re incredible. If we tear them to shreds over a poor transfer window, that just leads to negative vibes, upheaval, abuse on social media (already started)… it achieves nothing and contributes far more to a poor season than the thing people are moaning about.

You’re not wrong boss, I completely get it 

I’m just tired and wanted us to make a splash

I rate Guehi but the idea that our scouts couldn’t find anyone in the world of similar quality and profile is bizarre. If they couldn’t find suitable alternatives then they need sacking off. This guy isn’t Nesta ffs.

Edited by Kimbo

Yeah, I agree with many on here. Why we haven’t switched approach to finding a young player, only needs to be better than Krafth (at his unfavoured position) and develop them.

Same for RW. Can’t be hard to find players with more potential than Murphy. Develop them, developing players is meant to be the thing EH is best at.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

But he's not saying that we can't spend anything, he's saying it's absolutely crucial to spend it right in the era of PSR.

Yeah and spending it right can't just mean only having one £70m target centre back and all else is a waste of time. I just can't accept that, there's too much countering it for it to be a point that makes any sense. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Are there loads of players out there that A) fit the player profile, B) fit the price structure, C) fit the wage structure, D) fit the no dick head policy, and E) are happy to join with no European football?

You can add:

F) their clubs are willing to sell them

G) they have no other clubs who are courting their signature that might be more attractive to them than NUFC

H) want to come and live in North East England

I) want to join a club that's only in it's 3rd year of trying to re-establish itself after 14 years of malaise

4 minutes ago, stozo said:

Who is going to Al Nassr and will presumably be paid somewhere north of £250k pw. So a total non-starter. 

Silva then (who’s meant to be replacing him at Leipzig).

Diomande, already been offered out at less than his release.

2 minutes ago, stozo said:

Who is going to Al Nassr and will presumably be paid somewhere north of £250k pw. So a total non-starter. 

I read an article yesterday saying he was hoping for a Premier League move.

He was on 30k a week at Leipzig. If we pay him around a 100k he's staying in Europe.

Saudi will still be there for these guys to make some extra money later down the line. 

A lot of them would rather continue in Europe while they are still young.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

We're proper fucked next summer when Guehi goes to Liverpool. The pool of centre backs we can sign who can improve us goes from one to zero.

Ngl, your transformation this summer has been a highlight 😂

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah and spending it right can't just mean only having one £70m target centre back and all else is a waste of time. I just can't accept that, there's too much countering it for it to be a point that makes any sense. 

While Eddie is right in what he's said, I do agree our scouted options appear to be far too limited a list. English, PL experience, young and a top talent is a very small and extremely expensive market. You'd hope we have seen the next Schar at a snip somewhere. That's what we have to unearth.

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Yeah, I agree with many on here. Why we haven’t switched approach to finding a young player, only needs to be better than Krafth (at his unfavoured position) and develop them.

Same for RW. Can’t be hard to find players with more potential than Murphy. Develop them, developing players is meant to be the thing EH is best at.

This is what I think we should have done.

Get a major young talent to sit behind Schar and be brought along. Give Schar a one year extension.

This insistence on a game changer for the first team is so strange.

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

You can add:

F) their clubs are willing to sell them

G) they have no other clubs who are courting their signature that might be more attractive to them than NUFC

H) want to come and live in North East England

I) want to join a club that's only in it's 3rd year of trying to re-establish itself after 14 years of malaise

You're right. We can never get any better players with all those constraints. Let's sign nobody ever.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

If we had 70m to spend, you cant just say we have one target and one target only. Spend it right of course, but there needs to be other options instead of one player who is clearly out of reach. 

Unless of course, they've all made a decision whereby they're happy with the squad and Guehi was the only player that'd improve it, but its clear as day we're weak in several areas. 

Palace have played the club for absolute fools tbh

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We're proper fucked next summer when Guehi goes to Liverpool. The pool of centre backs we can sign who can improve us goes from one to zero.

[emoji38]

Edited by Sean

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I read an article yesterday saying he was hoping for a Premier League move.

He was on 30k a week at Leipzig. If we pay him around a 100k he's staying in Europe.

Saudi will still be there for these guys to make some extra money later down the line. 

A lot of them would rather continue in Europe while they are still young.

We should have been in there far earlier instead of hanging everything on Guehi. Don't tell me Al Nassr have a better recruiting dept than we do.

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't agree that the point doesn't make sense. I don't necessarily agree with it but there's definitely logic to it. 

We're not at the point of being totally desperate for a CB, as useful as it would be right now. If we're taking our chances on getting the perfect person in the next transfer window rather than getting the 'wrong' one in now, I can live with that choice.