Marc Guehi

gdm

4 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

You can add:

F) their clubs are willing to sell them

G) they have no other clubs who are courting their signature that might be more attractive to them than NUFC

H) want to come and live in North East England

I) want to join a club that's only in it's 3rd year of trying to re-establish itself after 14 years of malaise

So now we're into the 'Guehi is the only player in the entire world we could have signed and made a positive impact' territory. :lol:

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Yeah, I agree with many on here. Why we haven’t switched approach to finding a young player, only needs to be better than Krafth (at his unfavoured position) and develop them.

Same for RW. Can’t be hard to find players with more potential than Murphy. Develop them, developing players is meant to be the thing EH is best at.

For the RW we did, but unfortunately the PSR rules killed that for now with us having to sell Minteh.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I read an article yesterday saying he was hoping for a Premier League move.

He was on 30k a week at Leipzig. If we pay him around a 100k he's staying in Europe.

Saudi will still be there for these guys to make some extra money later down the line. 

A lot of them would rather continue in Europe while they are still young.

Pure speculation

Maybe he went to Saudi because he's obsessed with learning how to drive dune buggies

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I can't agree that the point doesn't make sense. I don't necessarily agree but there's definitely logic to it. 

We're not at the point of being totally desperate for a CB, as useful as it would be right now. If we're taking our chances on getting the perfect person in the next transfer window rather than getting the 'wrong' one in now, I can live with that choice. 

I agree with this, as long as everybody at the club is on board and singing from the same hymn sheet. I'm not convinced they are though, only time will tell on that one.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

For the RW we did, but unfortunately the PSR rules killed that for now with us having to sell Minteh.

? Wasn’t the Minteh sale to satisfy last years accounts? Would still leave us with £££ for this season.

10 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I rate Guehi but the idea that our scouts couldn’t find anyone in the world of similar quality and profile is bizarre. If they couldn’t find suitable alternatives then they sacking off. This guy isn’t Nesta ffs.

I think it's plausibly tenable tbh.

If they don't want to sign just another body, they want to get a purple (apologies Froggy) - there aren't unlimited CB options available who are a) for sale, and are b) proven in the league.

Once you add in his age, growth potential and nationality (rightly or wrongly [emoji38]), his value is likely to hold or increase too.

I'm no PSR expert, but I can understand why spending near to the value reported on Guehi isn't the same pot of money available for a GK or a RW upgrade, for example. Given what happened with Minteh and Anderson, it's creating a future liability - so unless you had confidence what that player brought to the team would translate to on field success, you wouldn't create it speculatively on a signing like, for example, Diaby for Villa last summer.

I'm not saying this is what happened, and I'm not ITK on this, but I can see it.

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Silva then (who’s meant to be replacing him at Leipzig).

Diomande, already been offered out at less than his release.

I actually like Silva and would quite like that move for the long-term. BUT both the examples you have given here are players from a non-elite league. Portugal isn't quite the Netherlands in terms of its flop record but you do see a higher level of Portugal > Elite League flops than Elite > Elite. Also, Anotnio Silva is 20 which is extremely young for someone to go from a non-elite league to being better than Schar and/or Botman. A stepping stone move (which is what his move to RB Leipzig is) makes a lot of sense for him rather than jumping to somewhere elite straight away (which is what we'd need him to be.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Ngl, your transformation this summer has been a highlight 😂

I'm being fairly tongue in cheek you know ;)

I'll be fine once the window shuts. FFP/PSR and our weird strategy in the transfer market has put a fairly negative slant on things for me, but I can stop worrying about that for another year tomorrow and start enjoying football again (until VAR kicks in).

7 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

So now we're into the 'Guehi is the only player in the entire world we could have signed and made a positive impact' territory. :lol:

Not at all. That's 100% wasn't my point

I'm just trying to make people actually stop and think about how many variables have to align to make a transfer actually happen

Edited by bobbydazzla

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I read an article yesterday saying he was hoping for a Premier League move.

He was on 30k a week at Leipzig. If we pay him around a 100k he's staying in Europe.

Saudi will still be there for these guys to make some extra money later down the line. 

A lot of them would rather continue in Europe while they are still young.

I think you are probably overestimating our pull here. Osimhen has just gone to Saudi in exactly the scenario you've outlined - Chelsea made him a very good offer, he could have stayed in Europe but at the end of the day the money he has been offered in Saudi is so great he's gone there. 

3 minutes ago, stozo said:

I actually like Silva and would quite like that move for the long-term. BUT both the examples you have given here are players from a non-elite league. Portugal isn't quite the Netherlands in terms of its flop record but you do see a higher level of Portugal > Elite League flops than Elite > Elite. Also, Anotnio Silva is 20 which is extremely young for someone to go from a non-elite league to being better than Schar and/or Botman. A stepping stone move (which is what his move to RB Leipzig is) makes a lot of sense for him rather than jumping to somewhere elite straight away (which is what we'd need him to be.

We don't need a 20 year old CB to be better than Schar and Botman. We need them to be better than Krafth, with the potential to become as good as Schar.

We need to strengthen CB, GK & RW with top quality. With atleast £70m to spend it's madness to think we couldn't have landed a 'purple' for at least one of them. Trafford might turn out good but an elite keeper would transform us just as much as a CB.

Unless we strike a deal for Guehi today we've fucked up. I don't want people to be getting sacked or out but it's hard to be positive about the window.

I still think we can push for top 4 rven with our current squad, but it would be a lot simpler with another addition.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

It's batshit crazy for a club with our structure, which has been put in place precisely to avoid this sort of nonsense you would have thought.

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

Not at all. That's 100% wasn't my point

I'm just trying to make people actually stop and think about how many variables have to align to make a transfer actually happen

Which why it never made sense to put all of our eggs in one basket for the entirety of the window. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, I just can't accept that tbh. I'm sure Guehi represents a big step forward for the starting XI, but by not doing anything we're not only resigning ourselves to not making any step forward at all, but jeopardising the steps forward we've already made. 

Even at a basic level it doesn't just seem stubborn, but also a huge 'can't see the wood for the trees' situation in about 3 different ways. I can't believe he would be this daft. 

I wouldn't go too deep on it mate, we know Howe doesn't share a lot with the media, just saying an alternative thought that has some credibility to me. 

I think basically everyone's in agreement that overall our approach and handling of the situation has been poor, personally I'm willing to accept what's happened this time around as I think everyone involved wants the best for the club, and unlike some other people, I'm willing to allow people to make mistakes and fuck up sometimes, it happens. 

I think there's a massively unrealistic expectation on how quick deals should be done, what do people expect, if we offer someone £55 million for a player, we can't just offer £60 million 5 minutes later, it's likely they thought Parish was posturing and would cave at some point, seems they've badly misread that situation, and whilst they clearly will understand the intricacies of making a deal of this kind infinitely more than I do, personally I would've thought at some point you should tell the other club if we don't come to an agreement by x date we'll have to pull out and move on. God knows why we didn't see fit to do that, but as I say, I trust the intentions of everyone involved is genuine so they have a pass from me this time, rinse repeat the same situation next Summer and we should probably start worrying.

Just now, Shearergol said:

We don't need a 20 year old CB to be better than Schar and Botman. We need them to be better than Krafth, with the potential to become as good as Schar.

I think that's where your wrong. Schar is 32 years old. The reason we are rolling him on one-year contracts is because the average CB falls off a cliff performance wise as they approach their mid-30s. If you sign Silva, and it turns out Schar goes off the cliff before Silva is ready (which at 20, could be 2-3 years away) then you are in serious trouble. 

Just now, stozo said:

I think you are probably overestimating our pull here. Osimhen has just gone to Saudi in exactly the scenario you've outlined - Chelsea made him a very good offer, he could have stayed in Europe but at the end of the day the money he has been offered in Saudi is so great he's gone there. 

It's not the same for every player.

Osimhen has been holding out for Arsenal all summer, but they opted against the move.

He actually accepted the move to Chelsea, but their new wage structure is lower than even what he was getting at Napoli, and so he refused what was essentially a wage cut. He's a top tier striker and so won't agree to go down in money, and they wouldn't even match his Napoli wages.

Simakan was on 30k and so it's a completely different scenario.

Which why it never made sense to put all of our eggs in one basket for the entirety of the window. 

How do you know we've done that, are you in regular contact with the NUFC transfer committee ?

This window has been frustrating, no doubt about it.

But we might have tried to land 10 x target CB's and been knocked back each time, by the payer or their club. 

Unless the answer to my question above is "yes" then you (or anyone else on here) doesn't know what's actually happened that's caused our lack of incoming transfer activity. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

37 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I absolutely love Howe but the reasons he's given for potentially getting no one in don't make any sense like. 

They make absolutely zero sense, crying the poor tail when we’ve offered 70m for someone is fucking nuts :lol:

4 minutes ago, stozo said:

I think that's where your wrong. Schar is 32 years old. The reason we are rolling him on one-year contracts is because the average CB falls off a cliff performance wise as they approach their mid-30s. If you sign Silva, and it turns out Schar goes off the cliff before Silva is ready (which at 20, could be 2-3 years away) then you are in serious trouble. 

Signing nobody at all seems to be the biggest of the risks. Can't play £60m of banknotes at RCB can we?

To be very Frank, it’s quite clear that if we want to keep on improving the squad which obviously should be a priority for us we have to player trade like Villa are, we’ve shown an absolute refusal to do so and is the thing slowing our progress. 

Benitez made nothing stretch so fucking far, and he we are crying the poor tale whilst offering 70m for centre half’s. Literally mad. 

5 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

How do you know we've done that, are you in regular contact with the NUFC transfer committee ?

This window has been frustrating, no doubt about it.

But we might have tried to land 10 x target CB's and been knocked back each time, by the payer or their club. 

Unless the answer to my question above is "yes" then you (or anyone else on here) doesn't know what's actually happened that's caused our lack of incoming transfer activity. 

If Mitchell went for 10 CB’s and couldn’t get any of them interested, then maybe he’s not the man for us.

Whatever explanation we come up for for this window, there has been a failure somewhere down the line.

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can't agree that the point doesn't make sense. I don't necessarily agree with it but there's definitely logic to it. 

We're not at the point of being totally desperate for a CB, as useful as it would be right now. If we're taking our chances on getting the perfect person in the next transfer window rather than getting the 'wrong' one in now, I can live with that choice. 

What's the logic to it, do you think? 

I can't get my head around it at all that, on the face of it, the only position worth pursuing is CB and the only CB worth pursuing in that position is £70m Marc Guehi. 

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Guehi seems the type of bloke that will sign a new contract with a release clause and do an Olise to a Cartel Club.

Palace would have sold him if he had made it clear he wanted the move badly enough.