Marc Guehi

gdm

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

What's the logic to it, do you think? 

I can't get my head around it at all that, on the face of it, the only position worth pursuing is CB and the only CB worth pursuing in that position is £70m Marc Guehi. 

It’s nonsense and you’ve actually summed it up perfectly. 

We aren’t in the market to sign forever players; and if this is mentally we have we are fucked. Yes we need players to improve us but that isn’t difficult is it? We need players who are of a profile that can be sold on down the line to buy us headroom. 

Im really concerned we have no plan to move forward to be frank, he was asked what would you learn from this and the answer was basically nothing to learn :lol:

he speaks well you course but when you scratch the surface of what’s been said it’s hilariously poor. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't get my head around it at all that, on the face of it, the only position worth pursuing is CB and the only CB worth pursuing in that position is £70m Marc Guehi. 

Reframe it differently and it's plausible IMO. The only position worth creating a future liability of that size for is a 24 year old, PL proven, English CB with a high probability of retaining his resale value, who can make an immediate difference to the first team and allow us to control possession.

Just now, Beren said:

Reframe it differently and it's plausible IMO. The only position worth creating a future liability of that size for is a 24 year old, PL proven, English CB with a high probability of retaining his resale value, who can make an immediate difference to the first team and allow us to control possession.

This isn’t true though beren, we never get back 70m on mark Guehi, it’s a massive overpay it’s obvious we are the only people in the running at those kind of numbers. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

It’s nonsense and you’ve actually summed it up perfectly. 

We aren’t in the market to sign forever players; and if this is mentally we have we are fucked. Yes we need players to improve us but that isn’t difficult is it? We need players who are of a profile that can be sold on down the line to buy us headroom. 

Im really concerned we have no plan to move forward to be frank, he was asked what would you learn from this and the answer was basically nothing to learn :lol:

he speaks well you course but when you scratch the surface of what’s been said it’s hilariously poor. 

It can only be Howe wanted Guehi and Mitchell put all his eggs in that basket. I presume that's not how he usually works but it can't ever happen again. We can maybe put this one down to a new man trying to fit in, but Mitchell was hired to do a job, and next time round he needs to earn his money. We can't have two directors of football.

16 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

If Mitchell went for 10 CB’s and couldn’t get any of them interested, then maybe he’s not the man for us.

Whatever explanation we come up for for this window, there has been a failure somewhere down the line.

Agree, if I was CEO and had asked the transfer team to improve the squad this window, I'd be grilling them about what was going wrong in our identification of players who were both suitable and landable.

But the point I was replying to was that we'd only pursued Guehi and no-one else. Maybe we did, maybe we didn't, but no-one outside of the NUFC transfer team and some other clubs / agents can possibly know

And to be fair to Mitchell he's only been in the job a few weeks so if I was CEO he wouldn't be the one I'd be concerned about yet, if we plan our targets properly over the mid-term like has been suggested, then I imagine his involvement this window has been limited

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, r0cafella said:

This isn’t true though beren, we never get back 70m on mark Guehi, it’s a massive overpay it’s obvious we are the only people in the running at those kind of numbers. 

Perhaps. He isn't yet in the prime of his career, and if the club really believes in his talent and potential - they may accept him as part of the recycling of purples (recognising we realistically can't have unlimited purples).

So maybe Bruno goes, for example, but we retain a spine of Guehi, Gordon, Isak, Tonali.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:
27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can't agree that the point doesn't make sense. I don't necessarily agree with it but there's definitely logic to it. 

We're not at the point of being totally desperate for a CB, as useful as it would be right now. If we're taking our chances on getting the perfect person in the next transfer window rather than getting the 'wrong' one in now, I can live with that choice. 

I'd just be repeating what I already said in the post you quoted. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It can only be Howe wanted Guehi and Mitchell put all his eggs in that basket. I presume that's not how he usually works but it can't ever happen again. We can maybe put this one down to a new man trying to fit in, but Mitchell was hired to do a job, and next time round he needs to earn his money. We can't have two directors of football.

It’s not about that though, he’s gone and done exactly what I expected and mocked he’s gone crying about FFP whilst shopping in the most expensive possible market and failing

it’s basically a bullshit response. 

It’s an unusually unsavvy response from Howe, who is normally impeccable in pressers.

The logic in what he’s said is deeply flawed.  You can’t be making club record bids and then claiming PSR has fucked you and we haven’t got the money to improve.

i completely understand why he’d want Guehi, who would instantly make us a better side.  But he’s not the only centre back out there - and for those sort of numbers, all but a handful of current centre backs might have been bought. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hypothetical scenario (dates may be out but it's irrelevant):

Mid July - Howe & Co - Let's go get Guehi, circa 60m should do it

Around same time Todibo is going to West Ham, Howe & Co consider trying to hijack that deal and get him instead:

a) Maybe he would rather move to London than Newcastle
b) We think Guehi is much better and believe we can get him 

Could list c, d and e etc reasons re attitude etc to elaborate further reasons why Guehi>>>>Todibo

End of July -  Negotiations with Parish for Guehi not going fully as expected, Parish seems to want to play hardball, our perception is we can come up a little and 1-2 weeks time we'll get this done 

Rinse repeat Todibo scenario with some other potential options

Mid August - Howe & Co starting to worry, surely Parish will sell him in the end though, and if we have to pay slightly over what we deem fair value so be it.

End of August - Howe & Co realise Parish clearly isn't bluffing, Anderson has unexpectably been sold, another CB of Palace has been injured, so Parish deems fit to increase the price multiple time, this has now gone to shit and we've basically fucked it up....

And here we are!

Now everyone's welcome to criticise their approach, but a lot of the criticism seems results orientated which I personally would look to avoid as it's all well and good with hindsight, but I'd rather try to judge the situation on what I deem to be a fairer basis than that. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s an unusually unsavvy response from Howe, who is normally impeccable in pressers.

The logic in what he’s said is deeply flawed.  You can’t be making club record bids and then claiming PSR has fucked you and we haven’t got the money to improve.

i completely understand why he’d want Guehi, who would instantly make us a better side.  But he’s not the only centre back out there - and for those sort of numbers, all but a handful of current centre backs might have been bought. 

I think the point around PSR is that we cab no longer afford to sign duds that we have to shift at a loss after a season or two. Signings have to be near enough a perfect fit to maximize value; PL experience falls into that 'fit', which invariably drives the price up. 

21 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Signing nobody at all seems to be the biggest of the risks. Can't play £60m of banknotes at RCB can we?

It's 100% a risk but with PSR the biggest risk is actually getting a signing wrong. In the next 2-3 years we have virtually no room for error. If an expensive inbound transfer goes wrong then we won't have the ability to just cut our losses and sign another player. Or rather, the only way we'll be able to sign another player is by cashing in on someone we don't want to sell (which likely means Bruno, Isak or Gordon). Do I like this? No. Is this the reality we face with PSR? Sadly Yes. 

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can't agree that the point doesn't make sense. I don't necessarily agree with it but there's definitely logic to it. 

We're not at the point of being totally desperate for a CB, as useful as it would be right now. If we're taking our chances on getting the perfect person in the next transfer window rather than getting the 'wrong' one in now, I can live with that choice. 

It's not that uncommon either. For example, Arsenal need a striker, they really wanted Sesko who decided to sign a new contract with Leipzig so they didn't bother.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He wasn't saying that though. He was saying we can spend the money but because of PSR it must improve us.

Whether you agree with the way they've gone about it is a different matter of course.

Having to work off a lot of incomplete information and speculation but it does all feel a bit weird, I rate Guehi and he'd definitely improve us overnight but it feels extremely obvious and hard to see where the value proposition is/was. Given we are supposedly targeting players who come available at the right price point, it's hard to reconcile that with the apparent exclusive prioritisation of one player for the last few weeks. 

I don't think we're particularly screwed barring another injury crisis and I think we can overachieve with less games and lower expectations but the transfer strategy is very confusing to me.

Just now, DahnSahf said:

He wasn't saying that though. He was saying we can spend the money but because of PSR it must improve us.

Whether you agree with the way they've gone about it is a different matter of course.

Yeah, I see that - but if Howe and Mitchell between them can’t come up with better centre back options than Burn and Krafth (and Schar tbh) with £65m then that would be truly worrying.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I see that - but if Howe and Mitchell between them can’t come up with better centre back options than Burn and Krafth (and Schar tbh) with £65m then that would be truly worrying.  

Add Murphy/Almiron to the list please

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's not that uncommon either. For example, Arsenal need a striker, they really wanted Sesko who decided to sign a new contract with Leipzig so they didn't bother.

We aren’t Arsenal though, they aren’t starting Emil Krafh or Jacob Murphy. 

We can’t take the approach they do because our situations are not the same, or we just parrot what they do how will we catch them?

Just now, stozo said:

It's 100% a risk but with PSR the biggest risk is actually getting a signing wrong. In the next 2-3 years we have virtually no room for error. If an expensive inbound transfer goes wrong then we won't have the ability to just cut our losses and sign another player. Or rather, the only way we'll be able to sign another player is by cashing in on someone we don't want to sell (which likely means Bruno, Isak or Gordon). Do I like this? No. Is this the reality we face with PSR? Sadly Yes. 

Even with signing Guehi we'd have to cash in on someone next year. This place is gonna go mental next year when we're trying to sign a new CB, RW AND striker.

We don't need expensive transfers, we need improvements on squad players, IMO. We saw last season with the injuries to key players just how poor the options were coming in. We're already seeing that now after 1 game where we've had to rely on Krafth for 3 games.

So let's say hypothetically Guehi comes in. He'll start right? So Schar down to the bench? What happens next season? Looks like we probably need a replacement for Schar, right? So we're a year behind where we could be by bringing in a young player to learn from him now. The way we're leaving things right now, we need a new starting RCB next summer and a backup. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Wonder if there's Gooners on a forum screaming bloody murder at each other about why Arsenal haven't forced us to sell Isak to them after Sesko stayed at Leipzig

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We aren’t Arsenal though, they aren’t starting Emil Krafh or Jacob Murphy. 

We can’t take the approach they do because our situations are not the same, or we just parrot what they do how will we catch them?

Christ, I'm just pointing out it isn't exclusive to us, it isn't an endorsement of our transfer window.

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They also wanted Mudryk and got Trossard instead. Is Guehi really a 'him or no one' defender?