Marc Guehi

gdm

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

That's a better deal for us. 

Means we can go and get a right winger with the spare money we'd of had to pay for guehi. 

Strongly disagree. 

23 minutes ago, andycap said:

That's a better deal for us. 

Means we can go and get a right winger with the spare money we'd of had to pay for guehi. 

So you are happy for a downgrade in quality, yes?

You won't be one of the ones whinging when Gomez is sitting on the bench behind Schar in 6 months and saying it was a bad (un-needed) transfer?

I'm not saying you've done that in that past but other have with Barnes etc.

Personally I'd rather we signed quality, doesn't have to be Guehi but Gomez, along with Chalobah, is just another decent player who doesn't take us any further than we already are.

Edited by STM

3 minutes ago, STM said:

You won't be one of the ones whinging when Gomez is sitting on the bench behind Schar in 6 months and saying it was a bad (un-needed) transfer?

Personally I'd rather we signed quality, doesn't have to be Guehi but Gomez, along with Chalobah, is just another decent player who doesn't take us any further than we already are.

It could keep us the same level after injuries and suspensions or allow player rotation without massively impacting the team.

Rather then last season when a Dummett or a Ritchie had to play or take a place on the bench

1 hour ago, andycap said:

It's not the end of the world lad. plus I'd be expecting gomes to be a lot cheaper. 

They want £45m and he's 27 as opposed to £65m for a 24 yr old Guehi.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

They want £45m and he's 27 as opposed to £65m for a 24 yr old Guehi.

You're acting like 65 million has been accepted by Palace. When they could want a lot more to part ways with. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I never twist about players that get used as bench players. 

I just don't know why your so certain Guehi is miles better than gomez or chalobah? 

Until this year he was never mentioned by majority of us as a player we'd want at the back. 

To replace lascelles. 

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Fuck them. I hope our players absolutely get into all of them on the pitch too - More Big Jow and BDB clattering. I'm sick of us walking on egg shells tbh. Fucking get into their faces. 

Spoiler

IMG_9104.jpeg.60e4eb933519d3a7237cb3589e0e4362.jpeg

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

31 minutes ago, andycap said:

I never twist about players that get used as bench players. 

I just don't know why your so certain Guehi is miles better than gomez or chalobah? 

Until this year he was never mentioned by majority of us as a player we'd want at the back. 

To replace lascelles. 

How much is this down to overpaying for a player who had a good innternational tournament? 

He was good in a ultra defensive England that had the easiest path to a final imaginable. 

Maybe he was good at Crystal Palace. I don't watch Crystal Palace.

42 minutes ago, andycap said:

Gomez is a good solid centreback can play across the back four aswell. Injuries have have hampered him in his earlier years but I've always rated him. 

If Gomez isn’t good enough for Liverpool he isn’t good enough for us!!

For some reason, at this point I think there's a much better chance of us buying some young off-the-radar prospect for  £15 -  £25 million instead of paying  £40 million for a 27-year-old Gomez.

Edited by Bellars

Just now, Bellars said:

For some reason, at this point I think there's a much better chance of us buying some young off-the-radar prospect for  £15 -  £25 million instead of paying  £40 million for a 27-year-old Gomez.

Fingers crossed

3 minutes ago, Bellars said:

Until given a reason to think otherwise I'm just assuming recent Gomez links are just a lazy continuation of what may have been discussed in late June when we were in extreme panic mode. He's more like Vlachodimos than a real target (I hope).

11 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

If Gomez isn’t good enough for Liverpool he isn’t good enough for us!!

You don't believe that surely. 

Liverpool are still way ahead of us on playing squads. 

7 minutes ago, andycap said:

You don't believe that surely. 

Liverpool are still way ahead of us on playing squads. 

The Liverpool squad is indeed better than ours overall, as you say, but we should not BUY anyone who is deemed specifically not good enough for them.

So, FloydianMag is correct, from that perspective.

A scenario where we spunk 40 million on Gomez and Liverpool use the money to replace him with Guehi, should be unpalatable to every supporter who has any self respect and thinks we are capable of challenging the top 6.

40 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

How much is this down to overpaying for a player who had a good innternational tournament? 

He was good in a ultra defensive England that had the easiest path to a final imaginable. 

Maybe he was good at Crystal Palace. I don't watch Crystal Palace.

In which case surely you have to accept that those in charge know better?

I’d imagine the overhype you correctly identify is both the cause of the price and the fact he’s gettable. Palace may not have been minded to sell had he not played, because they’d not get such a big price and because another year in the PL under a better manager would be a reasonable basis to predict higher sale value in a year. That he’s done so well arguably leads to them concluding “let’s do it now while his value is over-inflated”. Newcastle will know this and have set bargaining confines accordingly. Time is unfortunately on Palace’s side.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

In which case surely you have to accept that those in charge know better?

I’d imagine the overhype you correctly identify is both the cause of the price and the fact he’s gettable. Palace may not have been minded to sell had he not played, because they’d not get such a big price and because another year in the PL under a better manager would be a reasonable basis to predict higher sale value in a year. That he’s done so well arguably leads to them concluding “let’s do it now while his value is over-inflated”. Newcastle will know this and have set bargaining confines accordingly. Time is unfortunately on Palace’s side.

Sure.  

By all accounts they have made some mistakes that lead to the summer PSR scramble. Had that not happened, I'd have 100% confidence in any decision.

4 hours ago, Upthemags said:

You think Palace wouldn't leak to the public if there were other interested bidders? Same way they've been leaking our interest, bid-by-bid, the past three weeks?

I would love to play you at poker ........ and I don't even play poker.

I really wouldn't put it past Palace to deliberately string us along with no intention to sell just to run down the clock and stop us finding an alternative.  They may well see us as direct competitors for Premier League places and, if they are ambitious, even a European spot.  Finishing above is and getting a European spot, even in the lesser competitions would be worth about £15 million.

2 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I really wouldn't put it past Palace to deliberately string us along with no intention to sell just to run down the clock and stop us finding an alternative.  They may well see us as direct competitors for Premier League places and, if they are ambitious, even a European spot.  Finishing above is and getting a European spot, even in the lesser competitions would be worth about £15 million.

What you on about?  We will finish second or third this season.  Pep knows.  Did you see his comments?