Marc Guehi

gdm

For twitter/X accounts posting filler stuff like that is their raison d'etre, especially if employed to do it, but the raison d'etre of twitter/x is just publicising brain farts it seems to me

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yes, I'm citing the video Downie put out last night where he said his feeling was that this would get wrapped up quickly. 

Until another bid is on the table though they have to treat him as their player. If we suddenly changed targets and they didn't do the "welcome back" tweet for him, it would look a bit cack on their part

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

FWIW, I work in web content in a marketing department and it's perfectly rational - if you're going to tweet something out, you'll probably make sure what you put out isn't going to age like warm sick. :lol:

It's likely just a 'business as usual' message in the midst of speculation, which is probably the most sensible way to operate in football given how volatile it is. Not sharing a welcome back photo (such is the custom of club's social media accounts) would have an air of resignation about it, when of course the Guehi transfer could easily fall through for numerous reasons.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Marketing team that they're part of will know whether they're clear to post something like that without it immediately coming back on them and causing reputational damage. Unless they're incompetent anyway. 

I agree they will/ought to be relatively well integrated into the goings on at the club. They won't be as cut off from other club operations as some appear to think.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

On a serious note, it should close about a couple of weeks before the season starts. Ridiculous to not know who your team is going to be by this stage. 

100% agree. I'm against transfer windows altogether, but if they're going to exist, having them end weeks into a new season is totally stupid and unnecessary.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Again, positive it's gone quiet again.

You usually have loads of nonsense filling the void by now.

Aye I think we’d be hearing that a deal is on the rocks due to valuations etc by now.  This is going to potentially be a record deal so it will be payments schedules, agents fees, legal stuff now

The clubs were in talks before the first offer went in, so I imagine the offer was in the ballpark, or why bother making it. If those initial talks had been miles apart they’d have moved onto other targets.

My guess is there’s some back and forth. “We want more upfront” rather than a straight “no” with the revised offer to be more of a “How about £x more upfront plus £y after 50 appearances” etc etc, but it’s close. 

Palace take their time. It was the same with Bayern closing the Olise deal, even though there was a release clause.

Apparently the way they structure contracts, there's certain protocols that need to be followed when trying to sign their players.

No news is good news. Even regarding other clubs possibly being interested and coming in, they'd have to go through the same process, and we are much further down the line already.

Edited by KaKa

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Palace take their time. It was the same with Bayern closing the Olise deal, even though there was a release clause.

Apparently the way they structure contracts, there's certain protocols that need to be followed when trying to sign their players.

No news is good news. Even regarding other clubs possibly being interested and coming in, they'd have to go through the same process, and we are much further down the line already.

What’s so special about Palace’s protocols that means clubs have to take their time signing their players?

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

What’s so special about Palace’s protocols that means clubs have to take their time signing their players?

Expensive and slow lawyers with the paperwork.

15 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

There were various reports touching on it. Can't remember where I read them all now. Article below touched on one of the things that held it up with Bayern.

https://insidefutbol.com/2024/06/28/bayern-munich-left-shocked-by-terms-of-michael-olises-release-clause/650066/

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

There were various reports touching on it. Can't remember where I read them all now. Article below touched on one of the things that held it up with Bayern.

https://insidefutbol.com/2024/06/28/bayern-munich-left-shocked-by-terms-of-michael-olises-release-clause/650066/

That seems to be surrounding a release clause which Guehi doesn’t have. End of the day it’s just a tiny club trying to protect itself. Also thinking some of the delay is being caused by Palace wanting a replacement 100% confirmed before PL KO. 

Edited by Joelinton7