AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Something isn’t right mind, we look like such an average side. 

I'll keep beating this drum to death.

People really underestimate how ordinary Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron are. And they play on the same side to combine for a real horror show.

Without Trippier to take all the responsibility going forward today, it was even worse!!!

Newcastle winger Anthony Gordon speaking to Sky Sports: 
"This place is really, really difficult. It is a really hard place to come so it was important that we maintained some consistency in that today.

They are very good in the duels and second balls and we had to adapt to that in the second half."

On his goal: 
"Harvey Barnes cuts in and delivers a lovely ball and you can get a lot of goals in a season getting to the back post and a draw is better than a loss."

On the start to the season: 
"The past two games we have shown so much character. We are showing great signs but we have got to maintain it."

Be great if they showed more intensity and lived up to their ability, but character is fine until they get their collective shit together. :lol:  You forget how annoying Bournemouth are until you play them. They bullied us on and off the ball, need to do better against these scrappy teams in that regard. 

No idea why anyone's questioning their disallowed goal. 

Clearly hit the red line on his sleeve which, unless he'd rolled the cunt up to keep his tabs in, lies in the middle of his upper arm. 

VAR good

Jamie Redknapp csn go and fuck himself

Shit game.

Everyone poor.

Subs made a fist of it.Tripps should start.

Hall should start. 

Tonali back

Edited by Groundhog63

Just now, El Prontonise said:

1-1 a fair result but we got lucky imo with that decision at the end.

I think it was one of those that if it hit his head first then same part of arm/shoulder they possibly give it. However the arm was the only part of the body it touch and also the only part of his body ahead of Burn so can see why they made the call they did.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I still think Livramento is very raw tbh - the lad has talent, but I honestly don’t think he’s looked at the level either second half of last season or so far this one.  Doesn’t mean he won’t be, but our back line looks weaker with him than with Trippier atm for me

I'd say only looks weaker when Hall isn't playing. Hall offers on left what Trip can on right with the ball retention, just you also need a good wingers and CMs. Purple season Almiron helped loads for Trippier too.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

I think it was one of those that if it hit his head first then same part of arm/shoulder they possibly give it. However the arm was the only part of the body it touch and also the only part of his body ahead of Burn so can see why they made the call they did.

I understand under the current rules why they given it, but I think those rules are shite.

Edited by El Prontonise

Just now, KaKa said:

People really underestimate how ordinary Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron are. And they play on the same side to combine for a real horror show.

Without Trippier to take all the responsibility going forward today, it was even worse!!!

The most telling image of the match today was poor Tripps with his face in his hands unable to watch the horror show on the pitch. Let Murphy and Longstaff start cup matches and sit on the bench only to come on when we're trying to see out a match. 

Pope - 7. Important saves, problematic with the ball

Tino - 6. Mopped up well

Krafth - 6. Solid enough

Burn - 6. Solid, ropey with the ball

Kelly - 5. Unimpressive 

Bruno - 7. MOTM 

Longstaff - 6. Clumsy 

Joelinton - 5. Sloppy

Murphy - 6. Ineffective

Gordon - 7. Anonymous, until he wasn't

Isak - 7. Dangerous

Just now, Sibierski said:

I'd say only looks weaker when Hall isn't playing. Hall offers on left what Trip can on right with the ball retention, just you also need a good wingers and CMs. Purple season Almiron helped loads for Trippier too.

It does, and Longstaff having a poor game exposed the RB under this system.  But I still think Livramento has had a lot of 6/10 matches. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I still think Livramento is very raw tbh - the lad has talent, but I honestly don’t think he’s looked at the level either second half of last season or so far this one.  Doesn’t mean he won’t be, but our back line looks weaker with him than with Trippier atm for me

He's not as gifted as Trippier with the ball.

However, he can be devastating on the overlap.

Playing with that pair on his side though, they were incapable of any kind of possession or play to then allow him to get forward.

And so if Howe is going to keep using that pair, then Trippier absolutely has to start without question.

Frustrating watch with many passes going wrong.Lack of pace with both centre backs from the off was telling with Krafth nearly done by Evanilson,Ref called a foul.Our press suffers without speed at the back

We need a centre half with pace

Edited by Steve Charlton

Was very noticeable how much more fluid our attacking play was when Trippier was on the pitch and how much better we where in possession, he loves to Overlap where as Tino likes to come inside, adds a completely different dimension to our play, and as much as I love Tino, and think he's going to be a great player, Trips still needs to be number one starting right back imo.

What a surprise, Hall gives us a different dynamic down the left - and defends well too. For gods sake, give him that starting birth and let him be. If we’re playing Real Madrid away, ok, shore it up with Kelly, but ffs give the lad a proper run. Kelly fwiw offered less defensive protection than Hall. Hr looks to be a good squad player, but shouldn’t be starting, certainly not at LB. 

The adulation that Joelinton gets means his poor decisions & technical ability get over looked. Again, great player to have in the squad and makes a massive difference in games like last weekend when backs are against the wall and needing to defend. Trying to get hold of the ball and dominate the game with quick passing? I don’t think he’s you’re man. His ambling around looking at the ref is something he can rectify either way. 

I hope Longstaff is given time out the side now - just like Joelinton, he’s not a player who’s going to help dominate the ball and play sharp, quick passing. Having those two at the same time really inbihits our ability to get a grip on the game. Need Tonali up to speed asap and one of the Mileys bedded in asap. 

What a shock, Gordon can actually play on the right. Said a million times, to not have Barnes, Isak & Gordon as a front 3 is frankly ridiculous and shooting yourself in the foot. Stop being so rigid on where players seemingly must play every single game. Gordon’s game is just as suited to RW as LW (potentially more so imo) and Barnes will give you technical ability coming in from the left (add Hall to that left and you’re talking). 

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

The most telling image of the match today was poor Tripps with his face in his hands unable to watch the horror show on the pitch. Let Murphy and Longstaff start cup matches and sit on the bench only to come on when we're trying to see out a match. 

And even then, when they do feature, please not on the same side!

4 minutes ago, midds said:

Could easily have lost that right at the end there but don't forget about all of the chances at the other end too. Neto pulled off a few really good, point blank saves that kept them in it too. We didn't play well at all but we're still unbeaten and can only get better from here, it's not all doom and gloom. 

Yep, Neto made a lot more saves than Pope

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Longstaff, Murphy (and Almiron) stick out like sore thumbs. It doesn’t help when the other lads were stinking the place out too.

Meh. Defence looked flaky - but with 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice CB out, can’t be too harsh.

Thought Tino and Kelly were poor, better with Hall and Tripps - although appreciate Hall was poor last week.

Despite the goal, thought Gordon was average - alright, but he could do with a rest. 

Tonali for Longstaff will make a huge difference. Didn’t think Murphy was that bad to be honest - he’s rarely going to be the best player on the pitch; but equally far from the worst.

Bruno/Isak still looked class in my eyes, and Joey Linton just had one to forget. 

Also encouraging that our bench options with Willock and Barnes looked good.

Think we’re looking like a decent top 6 side after two games - that’s the difference between top 6 and top 4 - top 4 look good most of the time - top 6 can look pretty poor at times - see Chelsea last year: