AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

26 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

I try to be even handed and not wear cherry-tinted specs all the time when talking about one of our matches but I'll be honest, I'm going to have to come back in a day or two to give our view things after what took place in injury time. I'm seething. Actually, way beyond that. Two absolute travesty of decisions. And anyone that tries to defend them, take off your equivalent of those specs...

I didn't see the Big Joe incident so can't comment on that. Seen a lot of people here say it should have been a red though.

From what I saw of the disallowed goal he scored straight off his arm, which is handball. Doesn't seem controversial to me. It was fairly high up the arm admittedly, but from replays it looked to hit him flush on the arm badge, which is certainly low enough down to be handball IMO.

Anyway, my summary of the game for some reason:

1. Started well for the first, what 15 mins or so? Isak looked dangerous. Gordon pushed higher up initially with Big Joe looking to cover on the LW though Gordon wasn't really on it. We were on the front foot for the most part.

2. Once they got in to the game they were on top for probably the next 50 minutes or so. Nobody was really playing well, we kept giving the ball away. Almost everyone on the team wanted to take 3 or 4 touches. Dilly Dally quotient way too high. When the game turns against us, our inability to just pass it about easily quickly and take the sting out of games just invites pressure on ourselves. Don't think we had a shot in this time.

3. I liked Howe's subs and they gave us a lot more attacking impetus for the last 20/25. Probably a case that some of the subs should have started. Harvey Barnes did some really good stuff. Barnes Isak and Gordon score a lot of goals as a three. Might be an idea to play our best players.

4. Last 10 could have gone either way, we had a couple of chances, they had a couple. Got a bit lucky with the handball [though it was correct decision as far as I can see].

Overall it's hard to say we deserved a point from that.

The only plus point I can see from this game is that we didn't lose.

Not surprised we've started the season slowly. After the international break we need to see a real step up in performances.

Edited by Mazzy

Been out so only seen the highlights now. I predicted a 2-1 loss and we seem to always be shite against them, especially away, so will take a draw all day.

Goal rightly disallowed as well, it clearly comes off his arm so it's not really controversial. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Tactical thoughts:

We are crap at passy passy when the opposition is set up. The 433 doesn't work with it. Bruno comes deep, has no-one to pass it forward to so goes back to the CBs, they pass along the line to the fullback who passes it up to a winger who is under pressure and loses it. And repeat. This was an issue most of last year as well, so I'm not putting it down to just rustiness. We rely on turnovers in a high press or from deeper counters. Howe needs to sort the posession bit out.

Looked better after the subs when we went to a 4231 with Big Joe and Bruno sitting deep & Willock further forward. A second deeper CM meant Bruno had a lot more freedom to get forward as there was cover, and the AM means Isak isn't so isolated. I'd like us to use 4231 in posession. That said it was also getting later in the game so there was more reason for them to sit back a bit with a lead.

Didn't really do much high pressing, when we set up high from goalkicks they just booted it up the field and seemed to win the second balls pretty easily.

Krafth, Longstaff and Murphy trying to pass the ball out down the right. Sweet Jeebus.

Edited by Checko

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

And it obviously wasn’t a red card. 

From behind it looks like one, from the front the arm clearly goes down over the chest not horizontally across the throat so a yellow feels right.

I'd still be raging if it happened to us mind.

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I’d take Murphy off, put Barnes on the left and switch Gordon to the right telling him he’s got 20 mins to show he wants to be here. 

I’d also replace Longstaff with Willock and tell them to get their fucking finger out in the middle. Too slow and not strong enough on the ball.

Glad Eddie read my HT thoughts. On a more serious note; trying Gordon on the right was way overdue and in most games we don’t need both Big Jo & Longstaff starting.

I think we’ve forgotten what Willock brings to the team.

Potentially a big week ahead, if we can get a starting CB in and move Miggy on, we’ll have done well.

It’ll then be down to Eddie to get our “Intensity is our Identity” back. We’ve been far too passive so far.

5 minutes ago, arnonel said:

What was the Bournemouth foul count in the end? Must have been at least double ours

19 fouls compared to our 8

6 minutes ago, arnonel said:

What was the Bournemouth foul count in the end? Must have been at least double ours

We had 21 free kicks. They had 7 according to flash score. Might not be accurate like

Just seen the post above

Edited by jack j

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Glad Eddie read my HT thoughts. On a more serious note; trying Gordon on the right was way overdue and in most games we don’t need both Big Jo & Longstaff starting.

I think we’ve forgotten what Willock brings to the team.

Potentially a big week ahead, if we can get a starting CB in and move Miggy on, we’ll have done well.

It’ll then be down to Eddie to get our “Intensity is our Identity” back. We’ve been far too passive so far.

We’re screaming out for a RW. I’d prioritise that over a CB this window. 

Just now, Jordan said:

We’re screaming out for a RW. I’d prioritise that over a CB this window. 

I really don’t see why Gordon can’t play right and we play Barnes left. They train all week, he’s played there before and he showed today he can do it. 

Gordon may prefer the left but at this stage we can’t have a 35-40M Barnes sitting on the bench with Murphy/ Almiron starting.

It will change, but for now, let’s do what’s patently obvious. 

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Been out so only seen the highlights now. I predicted a 2-1 loss and we seem to always be shite against them, especially away, so will take a draw all day.

Goal rightly disallowed as well, it clearly comes off his arm so it's not really controversial. 

I don't know if this is obtuse or facetious from myself and I don't know if you are using this as an excuse (please say if you're not) but I'll never buy this as one. "We're usually shite against team x so it's acceptable/okay that we have been once again." 

Am probably just frustrated at another crap away performance but it's a little #worrying.

17 minutes ago, jack j said:

We had 21 free kicks. They had 7 according to flash score. Might not be accurate like

Just seen the post above

They got away with just as many as well. They are super physical when we have the ball and drop like fly when we challenge them. 

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't know if this is obtuse or facetious from myself and I don't know if you are using this as an excuse (please say if you're not) but I'll never buy this as one. "We're usually shite against team x so it's acceptable/okay that we have been once again." 

Am probably just frustrated at another crap away performance but it's a little #worrying.

These things are real, just with us alone we've been title condenders yet still always come up short against Southampton or Wimbledon away, then again just in London under SBR. I don't buy this idea that these records are meaningless when they're so ubiquitous.

I predicted a 2-1 loss because of that, because we were away and because Bournemouth are a decent side. So to come away with a 1-1, having an excuse doesn't come into it. We got a better result than I expected. Obviously if you predicted a Newcastle win then you're less happy with it. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We looked absolutely awful against Brighton in our 4th, as was noted. A positive spin was that we at least turned this into a draw when last season it surely was a very limp loss (albeit with much worse injury issues).

but the more reasonable spin is that it really feels like we are holding the line, but somehow still got 4 points. Very mixed, but a fantastic platform for improvement.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

12 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree with this mostly. History should have no bearing on a football match. If you suddenly whacked a World XI in a Newcastle kit you wouldn't think "ooo but it's Bournemouth though, they usually do us". 

I think it's more that the teams they've recently had counteract our squad, style and system. 

Think there is a bit of an overreaction to Joelinton's foul. He was clearly trying to stop play and just caught him slightly too high. Yellow card was the right call. 

Thought the handball was a bit harsh and if it was given, then we wouldn't have complained, but more so at the terrible defending leading up to it. 

A point more than we got here last season. Add that to the two additional points we got from Southampton vs their equivalent promoted club that was relegated (Luton), we’re conceivably 3 points off than the same games last season.

Just watching Liverpool playing Brentford and we are light years away from that type of domination.

I thought Bournemouth were ordinary but pressed well, we were worse than them except for two 10/15 minute spells...