AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

A point more than we got here last season. Add that to the two additional points we got from Southampton vs their equivalent promoted club that was relegated (Luton), we’re conceivably 3 points off than the same games last season.

FWIW, we're sixth in the table, despite playing pretty terribly for about three quarters of those two games.

Didn't mind the result today. Bournemouth are a decent side and will cause plenty of problems to teams this season. That's a good point.

Performance wasn't great and the game was largely transitions. 4 points and playing poorly? I'd gladly take that to start the season.

Squad does need a refresh so we've got a big few days coming up. First half especially I thought the issues were tactical. 4-4-2 just wasn't working.

10 minutes ago, bigfella said:

FWIW, we're sixth in the table, despite playing pretty terribly for about three quarters of those two games.

2 indifferent performances.. 4 points...as daft as it sounds I find that quite positive..

Just now, Geordie_once_removed said:

Watch Krafth shit himself when passed back to under mild pressure at around the 70th minute mark and see of you still agree.

Its quite obvious we need both a CB and a RW. Its up to the transfer team to figure out how to make it happen. They've had long enough now.

1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Watch Krafth shit himself when passed back to under mild pressure at around the 70th minute mark and see of you still agree.

For all the stick I gave Kelly I think Kelly over Krafth makes sense next game. Wonder if Howe will give it a go.

19 minutes ago, CPL said:

Think there is a bit of an overreaction to Joelinton's foul. He was clearly trying to stop play and just caught him slightly too high. Yellow card was the right call. 

Thought the handball was a bit harsh and if it was given, then we wouldn't have complained, but more so at the terrible defending leading up to it. 

See the same thing happen by the Sky 6 game in game out, Liverpool actually being the worst offender. It usually goes unpunished.

It’s not a red card, and I thought the Schar red last week was the correct call.

Just now, Stifler said:

See the same thing happen by the Sky 6 game in game out, Liverpool actually being the worst offender. It usually goes unpunished.

It’s not a red card, and I thought the Schar red last week was the correct call.

How is Brereton Diaz initiating contact with Schar's head then going down like a sack of shit resulting in a red card for Schar the correct call?

Not a great game - we played OK in parts, but haven't really clicked into gear yet and so in general I'm pleased with the points on the board so far.

I do think a lot of our problems start at the back. Defence sat a lot further back when Dubravka was playing last season, with no Pope to come out and sweep up and so we lost a lot of our previous shape.

Even with him back, I don't see us pushing much further forward and I think that may be due to the personnel playing in the back 4.

Which is why I think a comfortable ball playing CB is the most important position to strengthen in - for cover, and for the balance of the team. RW would be great too obviously, but that would be my order of upgrading.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

How is Brereton Diaz initiating contact with Schar's head then going down like a sack of shit resulting in a red card for Schar the correct call?

Like it or not Schar reacted and moved his head towards Diaz’s as well. By the letter of the law it was a red card. I’m not surprised that it hasn’t been overturned.

Just now, Stifler said:

Like it or not Schar reacted and moved his head towards Diaz’s as well. By the letter of the law it was a red card. I’m not surprised that it hasn’t been overturned.

That wasn't what I asked you. How was the fact the violent conduct came from Brereton Diaz resulting in a red card for the non-violent party the correct call?

The goal was quite rightly ruled out for handball like. It goes directly in off his arm. It’s not rocket science.

Joe should probably have been sent off. Not convinced he was intending to clothesline him as such, but it was dangerous for sure.

The rest of the game was an odd one. Started well, then they dominated (which a team will always do at some point). Overall, poor first half.

Started second half well, and then they grew into it again. After the subs though (around 55 mins ish), I thought we played some good stuff… certainly enough chances to deserve something from the game. And altogether we just looked far more commanding with Willock and Trippier on the pitch.

Overall, a fair result, unbeaten, and a result we wouldn’t have ground out last season. Much to improve, but I’d prefer to look at the positives.

15 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

2 indifferent performances.. 4 points...as daft as it sounds I find that quite positive..

This is where I'm at. Good teams get results when not playing well.

Seperately, how we can't play out from an opposition press when we must do loads of training work the other way and so our defenders get loads of reps is becoming slightly baffling to me, and it isn't just on Pope or anyone else individually.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

That wasn't what I asked you. How was the fact the violent conduct came from Brereton Diaz resulting in a red card for the non-violent party the correct call?

It doesn’t make a difference what Diaz did. Schar putting his head as a reaction is all that matters for us.

Just now, Stifler said:

It doesn’t make a difference what Diaz did. Schar putting his head as a reaction is all that matters for us.

You're talking complete horse shit.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Agreed but it was harsh. 

From a neutral's point of view, he bought the bait. He gave the referee a decision to make by leaning in with his head.

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

The goal was quite rightly ruled out for handball like. It goes directly in off his arm. It’s not rocket science.

Joe should probably have been sent off. Not convinced he was intending to clothesline him as such, but it was dangerous for sure.

The rest of the game was an odd one. Started well, then they dominated (which a team will always do at some point). Overall, poor first half.

Started second half well, and then they grew into it again. After the subs though (around 55 mins ish), I thought we played some good stuff… certainly enough chances to deserve something from the game. And altogether we just looked far more commanding with Willock and Trippier on the pitch.

Overall, a fair result, unbeaten, and a result we wouldn’t have ground out last season. Much to improve, but I’d prefer to look at the positives.

Any news. Asking for desperate friends [emoji38]

9 minutes ago, Kilcline said:

Seperately, how we can't play out from an opposition press when we must do loads of training work the other way and so our defenders get loads of reps is becoming slightly baffling to me, and it isn't just on Pope or anyone else individually.

If you want to be forgiving about any aspect of our performance then you can point to our two first choice CBs being out. I like Krafth and especially Burn - but combine them with Popey and you've got a triumvirate of doom in terms of building play. Throw in a scruffy Joelinton performance and you can forget it. We resorted to punting long which was rarely better.