Darren Eales

Ronson333

7 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

If you've fucked up massively, the less you say the better. They'd be smart to lay low and hope Howe can overperform in the short term and deflect the heat.

I'm just amazed Eales has had such an easy ride until now. Since his arrival, the transfer policy has been hard to understand. All our best signings post-takeover were sorted before his tenure. I couldn't imagine any other club with serious ambitions in the Premier League taking someone as inexperienced as Eales as their CEO. It looked a brave/risky appointment at the time.

Agree he just needs to get on with it don’t want to hear PSR hampered us this window, changes to structure caused problems etc.

Just get on with it and prove you can do the fucking job starting with some news on the stadium, training ground and sponsorships.

I think there’s multiple things at play in the confused transfer strategy, but he’s in charge now bang heads and fucking sort it.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Agree he just needs to get on with it don’t want to hear PSR hampered us this window, changes to structure caused problems etc.

Just get on with it and prove you can do the fucking job starting with some news on the stadium, trading ground and sponsorships.

I think there’s multiple things at play in the confused transfer strategy, but he’s in charge now bang heads and fucking sort it.

That was kinda more point more than anything. We all just need to get on with it now. Just forget about it and hope lessons are learned. Chance to redeem themselves in January.

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

That was kinda more point more than anything. We all just need to get on with it now. Just forget about it and hope lessons are learned. Chance to redeem themselves in January.

Definitely no option, it’s to be hoped this summer is a watershed and hopefully PIF are also asking the right questions to stop this shambles happening again.

6 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

The most concerning part of these articles is that we seemed surprised in both January and June at the position we were in regarding PSR.

I see it slightly differently, they would have had a (operating and financial) plan set in early July that took in the summer window, projected performances based on said window, some new commercial income and a

little contingency.

its definitely fair to say it was a plan based on optimism.

we then had some shocks along the way, not getting at least EL football post Christmas, relatively poor cup runs, injuries making any outgoing in January difficult and probably finishing a couple of places lower in the league. All in £10-£15m revenue hit.

any plan can face shocks that knock you off course, that’s not the fault of management.

so the contingency - maybe 2 sales in Jam which we couldn’t do for whatever reason, then maybe someone triggering Bruno’s clause or selling Big Joe (injury probably put that to bed before any contract extension if it was for  pre June 30th. So the ultimate fallback was Minteh and Anderson, the accounts will show how much we needed both sales vs giving us some headroom for this year that we haven’t been able to exploit.

i don’t blame them for going for it in the summer, nor do i see January as a surprise, more the world conspired against us to render the plans redundant. There may even have been doubts on Howe in Jan that moved some options up or down the table.

Sometimes we have to look beyond the (retrospective) numbers to see the rational for actions leading to them.

i really don’t have a scooby on what the plan for this summer was or was leading to mind!

I've been a bit perplexed at the criticism of Eales on the various social media platform but the events of the last month or so do now have alarm bells ringing. For instance I find it astonishing that he may have been comfortable with the sale of Gordon to Liverpool. If so, then no wonder that player looks depressed at the moment.

I'm also a bit concerned that, if we do get a new stadium, then Eales will have a big say in what the design looks like. I do not want a brand new SJP looking like the Atlanta stadium or any of the family-friendly Yank superbowl-style efforts. It has to be a proper European bearpit. As has already been alluded to in this thread, rebuilding a big English club is nowhere near the same type of job as creating a start-up club in the USA.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I've been a bit perplexed at the criticism of Eales on the various social media platform but the events of the last month or so do now have alarm bells ringing. For instance I find it astonishing that he may have been comfortable with the sale of Gordon to Liverpool. If so, then no wonder that player looks depressed at the moment.

I'm also a bit concerned that, if we do get a new stadium, then Eales will have a big say in what the design looks like. I do not want a brand new SJP looking like the Atlanta stadium or any of the family-friendly Yank superbowl-style efforts. It has to be a proper European bearpit. As has already been alluded to in this thread, rebuilding a big English club is nowhere near the same type of job as creating a start-up club in the USA.

I was under the impression the only reason we were scrambling round to sell players in June was because we were scared of getting docked points. When it gets to that stage what other alternative do you have? I suppose questions should be asked why it got to that stage, but my impression was that was what led to Staveley and Mehrdad leaving.

Staveley and Ghoudoussi are beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned. They rescued this club from Mike Ashley, made fans believe again and made everyone feel good about the club again. Can't say the same about Eales so far.

38 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Staveley and Ghoudoussi are beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned. They rescued this club from Mike Ashley, made fans believe again and made everyone feel good about the club again. Can't say the same about Eales so far.

loved them but they got us into the PSR mess (and then managed to get us out of it).

3 hours ago, ohmelads said:

If you've fucked up massively, the less you say the better. They'd be smart to lay low and hope Howe can overperform in the short term and deflect the heat.

I'm just amazed Eales has had such an easy ride until now. Since his arrival, the transfer policy has been hard to understand. All our best signings post-takeover were sorted before his tenure. I couldn't imagine any other club with serious ambitions in the Premier League taking someone as inexperienced as Eales as their CEO. It looked a brave/risky appointment at the time.

Would that be the same Darren Eales who has a hell of a lot more experience working in football than Amanda Staveley? He spent time working at West Brom (although in a legal counsel role) Spurs & Atalanta Utd.

who the hell is so closely involved in the conversations between Eales, Mitchell and Howe, and then is speaking openly to Craig Hope?

find it hard to believe.

Edited by huss9

Without wanting to get too involved in this discussion about Staveley and Ghodoussi getting us into the PSR mess, we got there because we bought players like Bruno, Isak, Gordon and Botman. If we don’t get those players we don’t have the success that we’ve had in the last few seasons. It’s clearly a massive tightrope and one where you’re constantly taking calculated risks that will result in having to sell decent assets at times 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Without wanting to get too involved in this discussion about Staveley and Ghodoussi getting us into the PSR mess, we got there because we bought players like Bruno, Isak, Gordon and Botman. If we don’t get those players we don’t have the success that we’ve had in the last few seasons. It’s clearly a massive tightrope and one where you’re constantly taking calculated risks that will result in having to sell decent assets at times 

i agree. was just making the point that others were getting the blame for the PSR situation.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The signings of Tonali, Livramento, Barnes are what caused the mess.  It doesn’t sound like they understood what the consequences were until late, rather than it being a calculated gamble

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The signings of Tonali, Livramento, Barnes are what caused the mess.  It doesn’t sound like they understood what the consequences were until late, rather than it being a calculated gamble

I think we must have planned some sales in the calculations... Which never happened 

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

I think we must have planned some sales in the calculations... Which never happened 

We are terrible sellers, mind.  Though if that Jamaal Lewis to Sao Paolo story is true, I’m happy to amend to that to poor sellers

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We are terrible sellers, mind.  Though if that Jamaal Lewis to Sao Paolo story is true, I’m happy to amend to that to poor sellers

are the likes of hayden, hendrick, lewis etc even champo level any more?

think it was more that previously we were terrible buyers.

53 minutes ago, huss9 said:

are the likes of hayden, hendrick, lewis etc even champo level any more?

think it was more that previously we were terrible buyers.

Agreed on that rabble (admittedly harsh on Hayden) - but we’ve also failed to offload some of those closer to the first team when either offers are made or we’ve been looking to sell (Almiron, Targett etc).  

Staveley and Ghodoussi may have "got us into the PSR mess" but as far as I'm concerned they got us out of it and all is forgiven in that regard. It wasn't ideal to lose Anderson and Minteh but we could have lost Gordon or Bruno, or both. Anderson was a young lad on the fringes of the first team and Minteh never kicked a ball for us so we did alright to sort the mess out and keep our best players. Had they still been here we'd have had a far better transfer window too and we'd all be buzzing for the season (I still am btw) without this negativity. I genuinely don't have a single bad word to say about either of them.

Edited by Decky

I don't actually blame the club for not being able to sell all the dross. Its Ashley's rein that gave them all stupidly high wages on long term contracts, and all to the type of players who are happty to sit on their arses, get splinters and a pay cheque.

I mean really, who would you buy if you were an aspiring champo club out of our 'bomb squad'? 

Now, of the names in your head, how many of them do you see accepting a pay cut to go and further their footballing career?

Very few names left I suspect.

We will be rid of them when their contracts all expire, until then I think were fucked.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah. You have to remember that last summer everyone in football thought that the only penalty a club would face is a fine, which no one would care about. It wasn’t until towards Christmas time that Everton got their 1st points deduction, then in the new year when Forest got theirs, end Everton got their 2nd.