Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Deserves no shade at all today. Positionally and physically very good and played some nice passes.

won 8/9 duels so far (Joelinton meanwhile has won 2/8). Sometimes I’m not sure what people are watching :lol:.

It’s irritating he’s on a yellow, mind.

Edited by Smal

Decent half. I've got an international feed on with that mackem in commentary, but Spurs haven't been as good as he claims. Only one of their shots was inside the penalty area, including the blocked ones. They look like a team who needs a center forward.

With no Solanke, Spurs look vulnerable at set pieces like last season, so I hope we keep sticking the ball in.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. There’s no footballing ability at the back either. Not seen Tino on it yet this season either. 

Tino looks fine to me, generally good on the ball as is amazing one vs one. He’s actually really good going forwards and overlapping too but our whole game being transition based means he doesn’t get much chance to show it :lol:

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Still doesn’t look fully fit. He’ll either sign a new contract this season or be sold I think. 

I’ve always laughed at body language experts but he seems to lack some enthusiasm and emotion compared to last season, never smiles either.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Well off the top of my head he was there to rebuild the move for the goal after the corner, and switched one absolute raker out to Barnes on the wing.

The switch of play was nice yea, but the following 45 min of him were not impressive in the least. Just no technical ability on the ball. Working hard at least I suppose.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Well off the top of my head he was there to rebuild the move for the goal after the corner, and switched one absolute raker out to Barnes on the wing.

Aye that was a pinger, he’s generally ponderous on the ball though (and has been once or twice in that half)

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

The bar is extremely low there. Both have been pretty poor. 

Joelinton is trying to play his way through the press and he's got caught a couple of times. Longstaff knows he's not good enough so just passes it backwards.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I hate that midfield 3. There’s just no ball retention and 2 out of 3 of them need an extra touch. Can’t afford that. Tonali moonwalks into the team tbh.

Excited for when it’s Tonali / Bruno / Willock. 

Just now, Smal said:

won 8/9 duels so far (Joelinton meanwhile has won 2/8). Sometimes I’m not sure what people are watching :lol:.

It’s irritating he’s on a yellow, mind.

Yeah, frustrating and harsh too. Pretty sure it was his first foul and given that it wasn't hard, think he deserved a bit of grace off the ref.

Kelly has been out best player today, comfortable on the ball, solid defensively and a decent assist, really impressed by him today.

Think Isak and Gordon look well off the pace, Bruno has been invisible and Joelinton just charging around like a headless chicken.

Happy we are in front but we just need to turn it up a notch if we want the 3pts, hopefully Edward gets that out of them.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Deserves no shade at all today. Positionally and physically very good and played some nice passes.

Tend to agree, based on assessing it on his own standard he's had a good game :lol: He's still limiting our way of play, especially by being so slow/unable to turn with the ball quick enough to find a pass forwards thus ends up playing backwards 85% of the time.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

The bar is extremely low there. Both have been pretty poor. 

Thought Joelinton has had a good game bar the couple over the top challenges and bad positioning while at left back.

Much better first half than the last 3 games, without Botman and Schar in the back we're never gonna build up well, but we've defended well limiting them to shots from outside the area and close a few times to getting in behind.

Tonali will get his time and Spurs will start to push harder to get back in this, we will get opportunities to break, just need to take them.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Tino looks fine to me, generally good on the ball as is amazing one vs one. He’s actually really good going forwards and overlapping too but our whole game being transition based means he doesn’t get much chance to show it :lol:

Solid defensively but not sure where his attacking pressure has gone like. He pushed forward with such ease last season in space. Harboring an injury maybe?

Just now, BoSelecta said:

Might as well put Hall on for big Jow if Joe is gonna be playing left wing back out of possession. 

Could put Livramento at left back and Trippier at RB surely