Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Deserved win is the strangest take of the day. We dug deep but were very jammy there

Could have got well beaten tbh. I reckon Howe will be honest enough to say we weren't good as well, at least in guarded language, as he never likes to be too critical of the players.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

You'd hope so, but I'd also argue that the growing concern (not toxicity) isn't limited to the fans either.

Today was an opportunity to draw a line under an absolutely minging late August (despite results). It was an opportunity to change the agenda and they've taken it. 

Absolutely enormous result, very poor performance in possession. Out of possession we were better but I have no idea what we’re trying to do with the ball. Have we turned into a counter attacking side? Why can’t anyone string passes together

Just now, gbandit said:

In fairness, I was in the leazes so couldn’t see that but Hall is so much better on the ball than Kelly 

It's a real tricky one. Both have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think starting Kelly and using Hall as an attacking sub, is the best way forward.

16 minutes ago, M1tche said:

How we got anything out of that, let alone 3 points is beyond me. 

So many awful performances, some were decent, 1 stand out. 

Decent:

Bruno

Joelinton

Kelly

Hall

Barnes

Tonali

Standout:

Tino

Not mentioning Krafth in this when he was the best player on the pitch is insane.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Today was an opportunity to draw a line under an absolutely minging late August (despite results). It was an opportunity to change the agenda and they've taken it. 

I think that would have needed a performance rather than just a result to say for certain, but hopefully you're right.

Our inability to keep a hold of the ball is very worrying. Hoping Schar coming back next game will help us bring it out from the back. 

Thought Burn or Tino was our best player today. Baffling why Pope decided he wasnt catching the ball today and choosing to parry everything. Gordon looks a shadow of last season and I was surprised it was Barnes taken off and not him. Said it before today’s game and his performance today again confirms it for me, Lewis Hall is not a left back. We should be converting him to a CM or a winger. 

Think we just about deserved to win that.

Had a really terrible spell after their goal (which in itself seemed soft) but IMO it was the fragile confidence that emerged and not because Spurs were better. 

Always thought we could get a second, although obviously they could too. 

Massive win in the end, great start to the season points-wise. 

Obviously we're not playing great at the moment, be that as a team or individual performances, which could be worrying. However, its 4 matches unbeaten (incl. cup) so theres clearly a resilience to the team/squad. But we dont want to ride our luck, we have to start improving performamces soon.

HWTL!!!

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Pope - 6. 

Livramento - 6 (but got better)

Krafth - 6. 

Burn - 7. 

Kelly - 7. 

Bruno - 6.

Joelinton - 6.

Longstaff - 7.

Barnes - 7.

Isak - 6 (saved a dire performance)

Gordon - 5.

In the ground we all had Krafth MOTM. Wouldn’t argue with any of the others. 

Only caught the last 40 minutes due to circumstances.

From what I saw: good result and valour, and commitment as usual. Thought Krafth has got a good kicking on here lately but seemed really tenacious and dutiful.

Pope was pretty careless on the goal I thought. A lot of possession given up cheaply in our own half.

The side seems to be a bit of a confidence team. When they've got a bit of belief, they can play the ball well and break the press - when they're a bit low, they make unforced 10 yard passes to the opposition. Very streaky.

Isak looked cut adrift for long spells. Got a goal on a plate, some nice hold up moments - but on balance continue to be both under-utilised and misused IMO. Bruno's leadership and energy was appreciated, but not the smartest game from him - seems to be in quite bad form IMO.

Loved Tino as usual, but he did try to beat a fifth Spurs player near our box, for no reason.

Overall Howe seems to place a heavy reliance on our success on fitness. Doesn't feel very sustainable for that to be our edge, especially when you coach a style where Isak admits they won't have the ball. Again, I find myself hoping Tonali and first choice CBs are the silver bullet to this issue.

Delighted for the 3 points, but didn't feel deserved and Spurs looked way better coached. Onwards.

2 minutes ago, KennyUtd said:

I thought Kelly was really decent. Made the goal after all. Good squad addition imo. Love Tino but still think Tripps should start. Tough one though.

Kind of think this myself but considering Son was on the left today I think Tino was the right call, horses for courses.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

In the ground we all had Krafth MOTM. Wouldn’t argue with any of the others. 

Fair enough, he's done great lately, especially considering he's out of possession.