Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Romero has to be one of the most overrated players of all time btw. He’s constantly responsible for conceding goals - both were mostly his fault on Sunday. Proper fraud.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I wonder whether playing without Trippier and Schar has contributed towards this. We’ve been reliant on their out balls, and perhaps calming influence, to build our attacks and maintain possession for a couple of seasons. Are we still discovering, and thus far getting away with, a new system? 

It will have played a massive part, IMO.  It is noticeable how much we keep going back to Pope.  Despite him being so dreadful at kicking, due to not having the long diagonal from Schar or the pass between the lines along the deck that Trippier is so good at. 

I also think the right hand side of the pitch has been lacking real quality on the ball, to go with the issues at the back.  I think I'm right in saying.  That since Schar got sent off.  It was Krafth, Tino, Longstaff and Murphy.  Then the same again from the start against Bournemouth for 55-60 minutes or so.  You're not building much in possession down that flank, that's for sure. 

On 02/09/2024 at 08:39, Lush Vlad said:

First game we played with 10 for an hour. Bournemouth seemed a bit more even possession wise? But we were sloppy on the ball, still. Would we ever have decent passing against Spurs? When the gameplan is usually play on the counter and a lot of clearances into space?

Krafth and Burn at CB. A GK that is terrible with the ball at feet. Kelly, who looks far more comfortable on the ball at CB regularly playing LB, no Trippier from

the start. Who is arguably our best passer of the ball. Then Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield. Neither are particularly good or consistent with their passing. 

Concerning numbers. But I’m not surprised by them at all. 

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It will have played a massive part, IMO.  It is noticeable how much we keep going back to Pope.  Despite him being so dreadful at kicking, due to not having the long diagonal from Schar or the pass between the lines along the deck that Trippier is so good at. 

I also think the right hand side of the pitch has been lacking real quality on the ball, to go with the issues at the back.  I think I'm right in saying.  That since Schar got sent off.  It was Krafth, Tino, Longstaff and Murphy.  Then the same again from the start against Bournemouth for 55-60 minutes or so.  You're not building much in possession down that flank, that's for sure. 

Its mainly the CB's taking to long to release meaning the CM's are closed down more quickly and have less space.  Or not having the vision of say Schar or Botman.

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

You have to hate when you win because you have better players.

Also if a defence that has Krafth at CB is better than your defence and you're supposedly challenging for Europe :lol: 

I can't even celebrate mate.

3 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

They "won the passing"

Decent article at the Athletic about Joelinton's role in the win.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739125/2024/09/02/joelinton-newcastle-tottenham-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

see, this is where I find the most positives so far this season — executing this plan. I really can’t be arsed with how we play in the first 3-5 matches as the summer schedules of various key players can really impact the style of play. 

2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

I can't help it, I know it's petty but, this is their little bit they call White Hart Lane

image.thumb.png.8fa54c3c3eb4ce98a847c0aa16eb6e26.png

Wonder how long until they notice 

image.thumb.png.d64cb1a767f8314705884b2a8401831c.png

I love this! The level of commitment to banter reminds of the Janitor from Scrubs. Great work!

2 hours ago, Smal said:

Romero has to be one of the most overrated players of all time btw. He’s constantly responsible for conceding goals - both were mostly his fault on Sunday. Proper fraud.

Always thought that in a back five he is one of the best centre backs in the league and in a back four he is a complete liability. He can be wild when he has two other centre backs behind him to cover but you can't do that in a four. 

On 03/09/2024 at 08:21, gazza ladra said:

They "won the passing"

Decent article at the Athletic about Joelinton's role in the win.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739125/2024/09/02/joelinton-newcastle-tottenham-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

Eddie is the Napoleon of football management. He fights the battle that he's got today - not the one that he'd like to have or the one he had last week.

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

Were people singing 1 -0 to the Saudi boys? Or I misheard. Was it something to do with their fans.

I wish we wouldn't do it, but it's in response to away fans. They sing 'no noise from the Saudi boys' and we reply with that. 

Still stupid like.

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Were people singing 1 -0 to the Saudi boys? Or I misheard. Was it something to do with their fans.

Yep, I was in the leazes corner and witnessed it from several thick cunts in the Milburn. It makes us look like absolute dickheads or, worse, Chelsea fans. It did stop almost immediately but it did definitely happen and it was fairly loud.

The fucking idiocy of it

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I wish we wouldn't do it, but it's in response to away fans. They sing 'no noise from the Saudi boys' and we reply with that. 

Still stupid like.

It’s even worse if they think they’re being witty. Cunts. Like we’re ‘owning’ the issues with our owners. Just fuck off.

(not you, them.)

Edited by Hovagod

38 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

That's not a new thing like, happened almost every home game I was at last season :lol:

Agree it's embarrassing, oneupmanship is all that seems to matter to some fans though. 

Tbf it only ever happens in response to the ‘no noise from the Saudi boys’ away fans chant (which in itself is a shite chant). Not saying I’m a fan of it either, but it’s always reactive rather than organic.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Wouldn't "1-0 to the Geordie boys" be a simple and better alternative?

Yeah, but (at least in the opinion of those that chant it) would that be delivering as big a ‘fuck you’ in response to the initial chant?

Lets face it, most chanting at football grounds is fairly juvenile and unimaginative, bar the odd exception, it’s rare folk give to much thought to what they come out with.

On 03/09/2024 at 10:09, Bimpy474 said:

I can't help it, I know it's petty but, this is their little bit they call White Hart Lane

image.thumb.png.8fa54c3c3eb4ce98a847c0aa16eb6e26.png

Wonder how long until they notice 

image.thumb.png.d64cb1a767f8314705884b2a8401831c.png

Get in [emoji38]

6 hours ago, SteV said:

Tbf it only ever happens in response to the ‘no noise from the Saudi boys’ away fans chant (which in itself is a shite chant). Not saying I’m a fan of it either, but it’s always reactive rather than organic.

This.

Not even worth getting annoyed about. No one cares in reality.