Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Newcastle United: 15/09/24 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Depends on Howes game plan. If it's to ride an early storm from a Wolves (Longstaff will be fresher than Tonali, Murphy works harder off the ball than Barnes) that will be desperate to bounce back from the trashing they got against Chelsea, and put on more quality players when Wolves are tired late in the game then it kinda makes sense.

Or due to other considerations....prefer to not cry like so many on here and trust that Howe has this in the bag.

Personally I'd rather have Tonali/Barnes for 65min against fully-fit opposition than 25mins against potentially tired opposition (or fully-fit substitutes)

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

I absolutely wish Barnes and Tonali were starting here, don't get me wrong. But I trust Howe to have made the choices for better reasons than "Jacob and Sean are good lads"

Yeah I think the armchair lot are getting a bit overly excited but the proof will be in the pudding in terms of performance. 

Just now, Mazzy said:

So that means we'll do the same? Or atleast a certain win for us right? Is that how it works in football? Okay I'll get the bet on that right now, I'm blaming you if it doesn't come in.

No but you wouldn't be going there with a defensive setup. When you know they can be got at. 

Eddie gets it right more often than not, but I am very surprised at Murphy/Longstaff over Tonali/Barnes.

We never seem to see our most technical  players on the same pitch together and it is highly frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I am going to guess somewhere between 20% and 30% possession but a W and up to 3rd in the league

2nd in the league.  Spurs will equalise.

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Don't disagree with that and I absolutely expected Longstaff to start. But competitive games is what Tonali needed to get himself back up to speed. He's had two of those in the last week and a bit, that can't now ALSO be used as a reason not to start him. 

Is he rusty and not match sharp enough? or is he now overtired from playing those matches to gain sharpness? 

It's a matter of balancing it though, which I imagine is what Howe has done here. The body needs restitution after playing games regardless of match fitness, maybe even more so when it's been so long since he last played football. Tonali will get ~30 minutes today and I'm 99% sure he will start on Saturday against Fulham.

1 minute ago, Boey_Jarton said:

Eddie gets it right more often than not, but I am very surprised at Murphy/Longstaff over Tonali/Barnes.

We never seem to see our most technical  players on the same pitch together and it is highly frustrating. 

Not away from home for a while tbf.

17 minutes ago, midds said:

Sorry like but Longstaff over Tonali is ridiculous. The difference between the 2 of them is insane. Half a Tonali is still better than twice a Longstaff

People are giving grief to Howe for last season's injury crisis but can't stand it when he tries to spread the fatigue. Tonali playing 180 minutes for Italy while Longstaff didn't play at all means playing Longstaff simply makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Personally I'd rather have Tonali/Barnes for 65min against fully-fit opposition than 25mins against potentially tired opposition (or fully-fit substitutes)

I don't disagree. That's probably what I'd do as well if I was in charge, but I'm not and I trust Howe and his team has made a plan and picked a team based on wanting to give us the best chance of winning.

2 minutes ago, Boey_Jarton said:

At home he does , not away 

Let’s hope we win anyway and tonali comes on and scores 

Just now, PRL said:

Somewhat fearful of another shit first 45 mins, being a goal down and relying on changes to drag us back in. Hope I’m wrong though. 

Nailed onto to be a repeat of the Bournemouth match. Hopefully we’re just as lucky this time.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

People are giving grief to Howe for last season's injury crisis but can't stand it when he tries to spread the fatigue. Tonali playing 180 minutes for Italy while Longstaff didn't play at all means playing Longstaff simply makes sense. 

The fatigue argument would possibly make sense if we were in February or whatever but we're a handful of games into the season and he's had a year off. No one will convince me Longstaff over Tonali is the best choice for today. It's like leaving the Bentley in the garage and getting the bus to work instead

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Explain Gordon.

2 minutes ago, PRL said:

Somewhat fearful of another shit first 45 mins, being a goal down and relying on changes to drag us back in. Hope I’m wrong though. 

Can see this happening too.