Greatest 'almost' goal?

Mike

Might be misremembering how far out it was, but I seem to remember Merino hitting an absolute rocket against the bar at home to Everton from miles out.

edit - it was post not bar, but was from a long way out like:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11169603/newcastle-0-1-everton-wayne-rooney-sinks-magpies-after-karl-darlow-blunder

Edited by SteV

14 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Tiote scored another 30 yard screamer against Man City, that was disallowed for someone being offside in the keepers eye line. I 

I remember this one well. It was in the net before Joe Hart managed to take a breath. One of the most outrageous decisions in the history of the game to disallow that after it actually went in 

2 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Tiote scored another 30 yard screamer against Man City, that was disallowed for someone being offside in the keepers eye line. I 

It's amazing how mad I still am about this. :lol:

6 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Colo hit the post/bar from outside of the box with a header? Or am I imagining that. 

Was just about to post the same. :lol: Bullett header from outside the box direct from a corner. Wasn't sure if I was remembering correct, as I cannot say when it was or who it was against but if more people remember it...

Edit: I think we tried this a few times as a corner routine. Found this on youtube, but I'm sure this isn't the one I am thinking about as I'm sure it was further out, the opposite side of goal and that the ball hit the crossbar

Edited by Conjo

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Also remember Ginola hitting the underside of the bar before scoring an even better one vs Ferancvaros

Yes I think that was a left foot as well? Smashed it from lefthand side of the box? 

David Batty against Manchester United in the 5-0. 

Iirc Beardsley typically scampered back to win the ball, Ginola got it on the left and skinned Neville before floating a cross in that Ferdinand deftly headed into the path of Batty who chipped Schmiechel but it fell just wide of the post. If he'd toe-poked it or blasted it, it might well have been a goal but think he knew what a beautiful goal it would be to finish it in style and went for it.   Was great play all round and vintage Beardsley, Ginola, Ferdinand.

Rob Lee of course came to mind like everyone has mentioned. Seemed such killjoy officialdom to disallow it, even annoyed at the season video pointing out Venison calling for a foul - some season videos (scousers) didn't even show the oppositions goals nevermind minutia like that. Duncan mackem Woodhead doing the report revelling in it I suspect.

20 minutes ago, Paully said:

The Ginola shot on this! One of the hottest I’ve been at an away match! 

Was just about to post 'Since they've been mentioned (Didn't check page2) - Ginola's Nelinho at Bolton, Albert's volley at Stoke narrowly missing the angle of bar/post, John Bez with a volley from a corner in the 92/93 promotion season'

Its my go to memory for a hot summers night. Was at the Platinum club for that and they ran out of beer at half-time, windows were open but was hotter outside than in.

but any of those chances against Man United in 95/96 not just for title purposes but just to experience a goal reaction in that atmosphere would have been something else, remember thinking at the time that there would have to be a mini-earthquake or something, cant imagine it would ever have been matched.

Edited by Jonas

3 hours ago, aussiemag said:

It was Gouffran who was judged to be impeding in an offside position...  one of the (many) miscarriages of justice dealt out to us in recent years!

Slightly controversial in some ways but, in Miggy's debut match for us he was put clean through on the goal.  His shot (with his left foot inevitably) was struck perfectly but, came back off the post....  I often wonder whether if that had gone in whether he would have gone so bloody long before he actually did manage to score a goal....

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Rob Lee vs Brentford is the only answer an NUFC fan can give - those of us who were there are still pissed off 30 years later :) 

edit: in thinking about it, you were asking for nearly goals as in coming close ... still, happy for Rob Lee's fifty yard volley on his other foot to be in here :) 

Who's meant to be offside here?

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Batty is underrated.  

He really is. 'Backpass Batty' was his nickname with us I seem to remember. If you watch the 5-0 he's by far the best player on the pitch imo, absolutely sterl thi sher

22 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Who's meant to be offside here?

Allen Nielsen - who you can see closing their keeper before he miss-kicks to Lee

This is back when the offside law was different - but it was clear as owt that Nielsen wasn’t the intended recipient of a forward pass

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Allen Nielsen - who you can see closing their keeper before he miss-kicks to Lee

This is back when the offside law was different - but it was clear as owt that Nielsen wasn’t the intended recipient of a forward pass

It becomes more and more outrageous on repeat viewings.

27 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He really is. 'Backpass Batty' was his nickname with us I seem to remember. If you watch the 5-0 he's by far the best player on the pitch imo, absolutely sterl thi sher

Yeah, so many good attacks in that period would involve a raking pass from him. From what I remember anyway. 

Pragmatic rather than negative player I would say, didn't care about being fancy but did take advantage of opportunities when they came along. 

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nar it was Brentford player - Barry Venison appealed! Even more outrageous!