Steve Bruce Toon Heartache

Skirge

Be really difficult for him to ever be forgiven for this as it wasn't just a loss.

Our positions had totally changed, ignore the 'top dogs' title that the media band about. Their fans believed they had a much stronger squad than our own, something to a degree they were right to think as most of our team had been relegated the season prior. I'm not condoning their arrogance or claims they'd destroy us, but I did believe it would be a tight game partly due to just reading some of their results.

In many ways it's almost like their illusion is shattered, as someone so fantastically put it, the result torpedoed the club from top to bottom. They might want to make out like all our goals were luck or misfortune on their part but really our goals highlighted all of the teams flaws and weaknesses. The team bares resemblances to our relegation side, decent defenders, good attackers but nothing in the shape of midfielders. El Mohammady seems a bit like their Jonas, a strong runner but little to nothing in the shape of end product. Of Henderson, Malbranque, Wellbeck and Cattermole there is only one who can attempt to tackle and even then he rarely gets it right.

The problem Bruce has now is, where does he go from here? A weak midfield, a £13m pound striker that doesn't fit his system meaning he has to revert to 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 if he wants to include him. I'd personally rule out 4-3-3 as that means using Wellbeck who right now just seems a bit of a headless chicken positionally. The other problem is, their midfield was very much bypassed on Sunday not entirely by long balls from us, sometimes we just passed it through them. You can't play a midfield three with the quality they have as most of them struggle to keep possession.

However before Bruce kicks away the chair in his hotel room he does have one thing going for him, it's Stoke. They won't look to get it down and pass, especially after Sunday, I'd be amazed if Pulis did anything other than two big strikers up top and lots of long balls from the back, something which will be harder when you consider Sunderland might have to use 5'8 Paulo Da Silva. I think they'll lose again, but at least Stoke will play to Sunderland's strengths.

I appreciate that this is probably not what the majority think BUT upto the first goal either team could have won the game on Sunday.

I think the occasion had them struggling before the game and gave us a massive psychological advantage. The fact that we got the first goal meant they rolled over.

Simple as that.

They'll continue to nick wins this season and won't go down. They'll not pull up any trees either.

It depends on what Bruce is being judged against - if Quinn, or rather Short, has said that the target is Europe for example then he may well get the heave ho.

If they're happy to plod along and finish 14th every year then he'll probably be ok.

Given the money they've allowed him to spend though you'd think they're striving for more than 'same as before' in which case the pressure may be ramped up which would intensify the significance of a derby day mauling.

The way I see it is Sunderland fans are still in a state of disbelief. At first I didn't think they were wrong to suggest they could finish in the top half - not because they have a great squad but that everything from 7th-8th down is open in terms of the season's length. However, their limitations were brutally exposed last Sunday and when you look at it, they have big issues.

I think it would be wrong to suggest their defence is as bad as what they were against you. Granted, it was absolutely atrocious defending for frankly every single one of your 5 goals in one way or another, but up until Sunday they hadn't been easy to score past. Bramble has been solid at the heart of the defence and Mignolet has impressed from what I've seen of him.

But that is where the praise stops because the real answer to why they had conceded so few is, in my opinion, their main problem. The thing is, they've been pretty hard to break down because of a lack of offensive quality or cohesion in their midfield. Cattermole, when he's actually on the pitch, plays little to no part going forward. Elmohamady and Malbranque on either wing are not what I'd call bombarding wingers - the former does have a great burst of pace but he seems to have been told his main job is to help the defence; and the latter is inconsistent, nay, mediocre. This leaves Henderson, a promising but inexperienced player and the hopelessly ineffective Welbeck to make an impact and frankly, that's just not good enough to be doing anything above average at best in this league. And with this lack of creativity in midfield let alone quality to execute it, Bent becomes isolated. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because he has shown he can play the lone frontman role very well and play off 'scraps' but there comes a point where even he can't save them.

So Bruce finds himself in a hole, as Nixon has said. He has a £13m striker unable to effectively play with their most important player, an average midfield and a defence trying to pick itself up from the crushing blow of Sunday.

Sunderland have only looked remotely good this year when they've surrendered territory and possession to the opposition and tried to 'grind it out'. That's all good and well up to a point, but the time will come where penalties and own goals will dry up and if they don't address their problems, starting with a total reliance on Bent, they will find themselves not just not progressing, but going backwards.

The way I see it is Sunderland fans are still in a state of disbelief. At first I didn't think they were wrong to suggest they could finish in the top half - not because they have a great squad but that everything from 7th-8th down is open in terms of the season's length. However, their limitations were brutally exposed last Sunday and when you look at it, they have big issues.

I think it would be wrong to suggest their defence is as bad as what they were against you. Granted, it was absolutely atrocious defending for frankly every single one of your 5 goals in one way or another, but up until Sunday they hadn't been easy to score past. Bramble has been solid at the heart of the defence and Mignolet has impressed from what I've seen of him.

But that is where the praise stops because the real answer to why they had conceded so few is, in my opinion, their main problem. The thing is, they've been pretty hard to break down because of a lack of offensive quality or cohesion in their midfield. Cattermole, when he's actually on the pitch, plays little to no part going forward. Elmohamady and Malbranque on either wing are not what I'd call bombarding wingers - the former does have a great burst of pace but he seems to have been told his main job is to help the defence; and the latter is inconsistent, nay, mediocre. This leaves Henderson, a promising but inexperienced player and the hopelessly ineffective Welbeck to make an impact and frankly, that's just not good enough to be doing anything above average at best in this league. And with this lack of creativity in midfield let alone quality to execute it, Bent becomes isolated. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because he has shown he can play the lone frontman role very well and play off 'scraps' but there comes a point where even he can't save them.

So Bruce finds himself in a hole, as Nixon has said. He has a £13m striker unable to effectively play with their most important player, an average midfield and a defence trying to pick itself up from the crushing blow of Sunday.

Sunderland have only looked remotely good this year when they've surrendered territory and possession to the opposition and tried to 'grind it out'. That's all good and well up to a point, but the time will come where penalties and own goals will dry up and if they don't address their problems, starting with a total reliance on Bent, they will find themselves not just not progressing, but going backwards.

There is no question - I'd rather have our side than theirs.

Our weaknesses are far easier to address.

Bent is their biggest asset and one of their biggest problems. That's the conundrum they're gonna have to face.

Love how he complains about how low class a move it was, and then says he hopes to do the same to us in return. :lol:

That is what I thought when I read it on the way to work. He is looking through CD collection now for the track to piss us off

There is no question - I'd rather have our side than theirs.

Our weaknesses are far easier to address.

Bent is their biggest asset and one of their biggest problems. That's the conundrum they're gonna have to face.

That's the key imo, and we've not had the money (under this new era) to put it right yet, but they've had tens of millions and its still a weak team with very little resale value. Next Sunderland manager has got a hell of a job and I think we'll see one before the end of the season.

Can't remember where I read it, on here I expect but it might have been elsewhere, someone made a good point that actually them keeping Bent fit might be a good thing, rather than us hoping for him to crock himself, in case they stumble across a more effective way of playing and scoring. The way they play at the moment is so unbelievably one-dimensional that they're never going to achieve anything, no matter how many results they scrape against the big guns at home.

Can't remember where I read it, on here I expect but it might have been elsewhere, someone made a good point that actually them keeping Bent fit might be a good thing, rather than us hoping for him to crock himself, in case they stumble across a more effective way of playing and scoring. The way they play at the moment is so unbelievably one-dimensional that they're never going to achieve anything, no matter how many results they scrape against the big guns at home.

good point.

I disagree. They are completely screwed without Bent and a long-term injury to him will kill any hopes they have of progressing this season, and more than likely will see them go backwards. They're not going to magically start playing good football and passing it through the midfield - their personnel won't change much, barring a highly ambitious January window. And they're not exactly an attractive proposition.

I disagree. They are completely screwed without Bent. They're not going to magically start playing good football and passing it through the midfield - their personnel won't change much, barring a highly ambitious January window.

Dunno like Gyan is obviously a decent player so I'd don't think they'd be royally screwed, taking the pressure off their 5 man midfield and its lack of ability by hoying 2 up top might beneift them although i don't know who else they have who can play up top apart from Wellbeck (shite) and Campbell (hahahaha)

Campbell's injured for most of the season isn't he? And yeah, the thought of Welbeck starting regularly for them is amusing, mind it could well happen if the speculation around the terms of the loan deal is true. Gyan's by no means a bad player but I think they will be considerably weaker without Bent.

I'm not so sure about that. Sunderland have on the whole defended quite well against some pretty decent teams, the problem they had with us was numbers don't make much difference when you have two twin battering rams like Shola and Carroll coming at you on the ground and in the air. They couldn't cope with it on the day but they won't come up against that every week. Hope I'm wrong like, nothing would make me happier than to see them sink like a stone.

They really don't see the difference between us bringing out a DVD for beating them 5-1, or videos of Man U 5-0 & Barcelona 3-2, and them bringing one out after a scrappy 2-1. :lol:

They're never having a go are they :facepalm:

They really don't see the difference between us bringing out a DVD for beating them 5-1, or videos of Man U 5-0 & Barcelona 3-2, and them bringing one out after a scrappy 2-1. :lol:

I do. Three of those games are worthy of rewatching multiple times and thus worthy of a DVD, one isn't.