Steve Bruce Toon Heartache

Skirge

Lee Ryder nails it  :clap:

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2010/11/face-it-brucey---derby-day-ham-1.html

Face it Brucey - derby day hammering from NUFC was in the post

By Lee Ryder on Nov 5, 10 08:58 AM

Steve Bruce

On the day that Newcastle United released a commemorative "Derby Demolition" mug, Steve Bruce promised the Magpies a frosty reception when the two teams line up their soldiers again for the battle at the Stadium of Light in January.

Bruce was still fuming by United's decision to blare out Daydream Believer at the end of the derby win.

He said: "Fortunately I didn't hear it because I was inside, but others did,

"'I hope we can repeat the same dosage when they come to our place.

"It was typical of their etiquette."

That is the pot calling the kettle that after the way Sunderland went on after the mere 2-1 win they scraped for the first time in three decades!

He then said: "Seventy-one days, not that I'm counting, but that's a motivating force."

It may not have dawned on Brucey, but the scenes at the end of Sunderland's win over Newcastle were far from a wee bit of derby mocking.

Medieval is a better way of describing them.

The hatred that whistled round the Stadium of Light that day was incredible as fans poured on to the pitch to charge at Newcastle fans - some of them families with youngsters too.

It was a throwback to the ugly side of football that ruled the roost in the 1970s and 1980s that day, and while there were Newcastle fans who were guilty of invading the pitch as well, I can't recall the FA acting upon it and Sunderland appeared to get away with it Scot free.

That as they say is history.

As is Sunderland dancing on Newcastle graves in May 2009, as is Phil Brown and his microphone, as is heralding getting Oasis and Take That to the Stadium of Light as an achievement and as is the short stint of Sunderland being North-East's top dogs, the competition that only sees the light of day when Newcastle aren't top of the pile!

Sunderland fans have been swanning round as if they'd won the Champions League ever since May 2009 - until last Sunday that is.

But order has been very much restored.

For me Bruce's body language appeared to change in his post-Newcastle Press conference.

Where did the laid back smug "We're the North-East top dogs man" outlook on life go to?

Rightly or wrongly, Newcastle's fall from the Premier League occured because of serious misunderstanding of how the club should be ran and the fact that four managers took charge of the team during the 08/09 campaign.

That damage has been partially repaired by Chris Hughton.

Sunderland never became the only team in the Premier League due to footballing greatness, they scraped up and stayed up because Newcastle were so feeble and players were so disillusioned in the second half of the season two terms ago.

That's football as they say.

But keep it real Brucey, the 5-1 pasting was in the post and judging by the hunger within the Newcastle camp at the moment, they'd play Sunderland in Tesco's car park tomorrow night at midnight if they were asked to.

I love it. He is losing the mind games which proves the derby is too big for him, I mean would Hughton have came out with any bullshit if the scoreline was the other way round? His days are numbered at Sunderland.

Hopefully not.

Guest Stephen927

This makes the win even better, knowing just how much it got under his skin.

The mackems would have done similar if it was at SoL and they beat us 5-1. If anything they'd have been rubbing it in way more than we did. It's called a rivalry, if you can't rub it in the oppositions face then the derby would mean nothing.

have to say its a clever bit of deflection by bruce though, sunderland fans love a chance to proclaim themselves our betters in any which way you can think of so rather than discuss how terrible his team and tactics were they know go those classless mag bastards blah blah blah etc etc

But he knows that for many fans, sickened by last Sunday’s humiliation, he will not be forgiven easily.

“I will have to live with it forever,” he said. “There is no hiding place.’’

That should go on his gravestone. Except of course he'll be dead then, so living with it might be tricky.

I cannot believe what I'm reading here :lol:

[smbWell winning trophies is off the agenda for good for Newcastle, so they need to cling on to something, and beating us on the odd occasion is that something.....[/smb]

You couldn't make it up

The stupidity around there is starting to hurt my brain a bit

The best thing is there's not going to be a thing else they talk about for the next '71 days', not that they're counting. Save for a 2 page match thread on the day of all their matches in between, it's solely going to be able how they're going to 'hammer' us. The irony is fantastic.

Guest firetotheworks

If we lack class, and they live their lives in our shadow, constantly comparing everything they do to us, and talking about us on RTG endlessly, then what does that make them?

Guest Heneage

Be really difficult for him to ever be forgiven for this as it wasn't just a loss.

Our positions had totally changed, ignore the 'top dogs' title that the media band about. Their fans believed they had a much stronger squad than our own, something to a degree they were right to think as most of our team had been relegated the season prior. I'm not condoning their arrogance or claims they'd destroy us, but I did believe it would be a tight game partly due to just reading some of their results.

In many ways it's almost like their illusion is shattered, as someone so fantastically put it, the result torpedoed the club from top to bottom. They might want to make out like all our goals were luck or misfortune on their part but really our goals highlighted all of the teams flaws and weaknesses. The team bares resemblances to our relegation side, decent defenders, good attackers but nothing in the shape of midfielders. El Mohammady seems a bit like their Jonas, a strong runner but little to nothing in the shape of end product. Of Henderson, Malbranque, Wellbeck and Cattermole there is only one who can attempt to tackle and even then he rarely gets it right.

The problem Bruce has now is, where does he go from here? A weak midfield, a £13m pound striker that doesn't fit his system meaning he has to revert to 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 if he wants to include him. I'd personally rule out 4-3-3 as that means using Wellbeck who right now just seems a bit of a headless chicken positionally. The other problem is, their midfield was very much bypassed on Sunday not entirely by long balls from us, sometimes we just passed it through them. You can't play a midfield three with the quality they have as most of them struggle to keep possession.

However before Bruce kicks away the chair in his hotel room he does have one thing going for him, it's Stoke. They won't look to get it down and pass, especially after Sunday, I'd be amazed if Pulis did anything other than two big strikers up top and lots of long balls from the back, something which will be harder when you consider Sunderland might have to use 5'8 Paulo Da Silva. I think they'll lose again, but at least Stoke will play to Sunderland's strengths.