Birmingham City 2-2 Newcastle FAC 3rd Round Post Match Thread

Yorkie

Alan Oliver:

But I thought Oba Martins' contribution in the last half-hour was poor, and I don't just mean the fact that he dallied far too long and missed an absolute sitter on the hour.

For me, he was out of the game for long periods.

Just like he was at Blackburn before Christmas.

And, as in the case at Ewood Park, when United also faced 10 men, the home back four were able to bring the ball forward because Martins did not put them under any pressure.

Brum's Northumbrian substitute Martin Taylor is one of the slowest central defenders around, but Martins never even looked like cashing in on this as he went four games without a goal.

So because of their failings at both ends of the field - there was nothing wrong in midfield - United now have a replay they most certainly did not want.

What a load of shite!

Thought Martins was good, should have scored but he scared the hell out of their defence. Pattison was awful, how he can say there was 'nothing wrong' with that is beyond me.

just got back from the game.coach 3 was very slow.thought the toon were crap 1st half then looked lively the 2nd and thought they would pull something off it.we pressed them a good bit the 2nd and should have wrapped it up.but we didnt.thought defense was quiet awful today aswell.credit to the brummie fans who were crap.hahaha.toon travelling support was great just shame they didnt pull a result off.felt sorry for the lad on bus 3 that got nicked before the game not sure why but  missed the game and also the bus home.

Aye coach 3 was the last one 2 get there i think, the driver took the long way to birmingham to use up a bit of his time.  The whole place is a total shithole went to that St. Andrews Taven or whatever it was called, notice outside saying home fans only, then went to that cricketers pub, probably the worst pub ive ever been to and ive been in some hovvels in my time, there was only one bloke behind the bar so just crossed the road to morrisons to buy some cans as the brummie lot did next to us and brought them back into the bar!

Aye The Cricketer's Arms was scruffy as owt like.

Guest Immsy7

I went to the game saturday.

Lets get the bad out the way first...

Pattison, Huntington and Sibierski were shite. Edgar didn't look too great either. Our biggest problems though, was our final ball and the fact that Dyer, Martins and not know when to shoot or release the ball what so ever.

Martins had bags of ability and complete shit the Birmigham defence up with his pace and effectively got a man sent off but the man has less brains than Bramble.

Our defence is in need of some new players, we need an experienced head.

However...

we were the better team through out the game, some shaky moments but were the better team overall.

Milner-Dyer-Martins linked up well in attack and scared Birmigham many times but like i say the final ability and lack of shooting was a major downfall.

I also felt that Butt had a really good game defending, attacking he was about as useful as i would have been* but got stuck in none the less.

We also had a stonewall penalty turned down late on in the game.

*I'm not very good at football  :winking:

Alan Oliver:

But I thought Oba Martins' contribution in the last half-hour was poor, and I don't just mean the fact that he dallied far too long and missed an absolute sitter on the hour.

And, as in the case at Ewood Park, when United also faced 10 men, the home back four were able to bring the ball forward because Martins did not put them under any pressure.

Brum's Northumbrian substitute Martin Taylor is one of the slowest central defenders around, but Martins never even looked like cashing in on this as he went four games without a goal.

So because of their failings at both ends of the field - there was nothing wrong in midfield - United now have a replay they most certainly did not want.

What a load of shite!

Thought Martins was good, should have scored but he scared the hell out of their defence. Pattison was awful, how he can say there was 'nothing wrong' with that is beyond me.

martins must've refused him an interview then...

felt sorry for the lad on bus 3 that got nicked before the game not sure why but  missed the game and also the bus home.

Just after we got patted down we were walking towards the stand with a small group of lads, all singing.  We stopped for a second but one lad kept going.  Two coppers sidled up to him, took an arm each and frog marched him into a door.  Thought it was harsh, although he did seem a bit pissed as they led him off.  After he'd gone we started a brief chant of "Free The Geordie One" but they didn't  bluecry.gif

Alan Oliver:

What a load of shite!

We've not heard much Oliver shite of late, but he's back on form with that one. Love the "didn't once use his pace to capitalise". Must have gone for his half time piss when Martins went past Jaidi like an F1 car and got rugby tackled.

The whole team acknowledged us, but the majority of them just did a little clap about waist height, then put their head down and walked off.

Don't think they were feeling too good about themselves after losing the goal right before the game ended. If I were playing, I wouldn't be feeling happy as well and my thoughts would be regarding the goal, not the fans. I'm sure if they scored earlier, the feelings of the fans and the players wouldn't be so bad. Gutted we didn't win, especially losing a goal right at the death.

The whole team acknowledged us, but the majority of them just did a little clap about waist height, then put their head down and walked off.

Don't think they were feeling too good about themselves after losing the goal right before the game ended. If I were playing, I wouldn't be feeling happy as well and my thoughts would be regarding the goal, not the fans. I'm sure if they scored earlier, the feelings of the fans and the players wouldn't be so bad. Gutted we didn't win, especially losing a goal right at the death.

Regardless of the late goal they still should have acknowleged us.

Our support was nowt special to be honest, yes we took a lot but at 1-0 down we were fucking shit, just when we were needed to get behind the lads. Made a lot of noise at times but only when we were winning.