Birmingham City 2-2 Newcastle FAC 3rd Round Post Match Thread

Yorkie

Guest Bellers

By the way our midfield got totally dominated today by a Championship side (when they had eleven men), whose fault was that?

I've been led to believe that our midfield is always excellent when Scott Parker doesn't play.

I think people were making the point our best midfield was a combination of Butt and Emre rather than either of the two being paired with Parker...

We were dominated because Butt is average going forward and Pattison is no better than a Champioship player himself...

Pattison was on the left first half, he can't hold responsibility for the domination of central midfield.

I think people have a good point when they talk about a stronger midfield with Emre and Butt, but it's got to a stage now where when we lose with Parker, we get a thread about how shit he is and how much worse we are with him, when we win without him, we get exactly the same and when we do well with him, he gets blamed for a goal or anything that'll make him look bad (last week against Man Utd being a perfect example).

Our problems go a lot deeper than Scott Parker, but some people would have you believe otherwise.

Parker can be a laibility at times, but so can every other player on the pitch. Your spot on, our problems lie a lot deeper...

Guest optimistic nit

Speaking of inexperience: Muamba, Bendtner, Larsson, Sadler etc. for Birmingham are all 21 or under as well, just off the top of my head. Not sure if that's a viable excuse today.

but all of those have played more games than the 3 edgar has, the handful of sub apperances belonging to pattison and the debutant (unless i'm mistaken) obrien. in fact our experianced outfield players are in their early 20's (most of them) around the same age as the brummy youngsters.

I love how after an away game to the championship leaders all our fans are once again getting on the back of our inexpeirienced youngsters.

Pattison was horrible in the last 20 mins

Thought the bits we saw of him last season he looked like a tricky promising player but everything I've seen of him this season makes he look like he'd struggle in league 2. In fact can't remember a player of worse quality playing for us for a hell of a long time.

this quote sums it all up. a few tricks in the end of last season and now suddenly he should be maradonna. its not as if our younger players had older heads to help them through the game, they were hung out to dry really on a bobbly pitch against a good side.

i didn't see the game but it sounds like an inexperianced performance befitting the players selected. two things stopped us winning. a) outside events more to do with the shambolics our club is currently in meaning we field 6-7 players 21 or under (maybe more, i didn't see the starting XI) and b) possably a bit of inexperiance from roeder, where we really should have closed off the game at 2-1 as we can't afford the replay.

Having watched the whole game myself, I've got to say that Pattison was a waste of time. We had 10 men from the start with him playing. O'Brien was fast but his crossing was diabolical. Milner and Solano were excellent, Taylor solid but otherwise we were decidedly average. Dyer and Martins were lively for 60-70 mins but then faded out.

Sibierski also showed that he has no talent for using the ball when it's at his feet.

More of the usual OTT shite on this board. Yes we were complacent and should have wrapped the game up but yet again we played some nice stuff and given the circumstances, this was NOT  bad result. My ratings (having been at the game).

Given 7

Nobby 7

Taylor 7

Huntingdon 6

Edgar 6

Milner 8

Butt 6

Pattison 2

Sibierski 6

Dyer 8

Martins 8 (maybe 7 for a bit of greed but he still looks a potentially awesome player to me)

O'Brien 7

More of the usual OTT shite on this board. Yes we were complacent and should have wrapped the game up but yet again we played some nice stuff and given the circumstances, this was NOT  bad result. My ratings (having been at the game).

Still a bad result, but yes some people have gone typically overboard.

Roeder is a F**KING idiot

Today he clearly show who shit of a manager he is,not winning against a 10 men Championship side,he should be sent back to training our youth team because thats the only job he is good at

Pattison was by far our worst player,he has been shit all season and the only reason he played today was because Roeder didnt want to play Luque,i like O'brien but he is not first team material,yet,and now we will have to play a replay at the worst possible time..

Given 7

Nobby 7

Taylor 7

Huntingdon 6

Edgar 6

Milner 8

Butt 6

Pattison 2

Sibierski 6

Dyer 8

Martins 8 (maybe 7 for a bit of greed but he still looks a potentially awesome player to me)

O'Brien 7

Ok, given the circumstances thrown up during the game, can we not agree at least that it was NOT a good result then?

That said, as Roeder notes, "It gives our supporters a night out and they love the cup as everyone knows in Newcastle". :celb2: :hmm:

We f***ing love everything by the sounds of Roeder and the media  :lol: So far we love our Cup nights, our European nights, our goalscorers, our wingers, our midfielders, our Geordie academy players... so basically we love everything do we?  :lol:

Given 7

Nobby 7

Taylor 7

Huntingdon 6

Edgar 6

Milner 8

Butt 6

Pattison 2

Sibierski 6

Dyer 8

O'Brien 7

Ok, given the circumstances thrown up during the game, can we not agree at least that it was NOT a good result then?

That said, as Roeder notes, "It gives our supporters a night out and they love the cup as everyone knows in Newcastle". :celb2: :hmm:

They are top of the Championship and at home. We are 6 places above them and away and decimated by injuries. In that context, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. It is disappointing seeing as we were so much on top in the second half, but there were quite a lot of our mob playing today who would struggle to get into Birmingham's first team. And ps, O'Brien was far more effective on the left in the second half than Luque would have been imo.

We f***ing love everything by the sounds of Roeder and the media  :lol: So far we love our Cup nights, our European nights, our goalscorers, our wingers, our midfielders, our Geordie academy players... so basically we love everything do we?  :lol:

Do we love our Albert Luque's? :winking:

Given 7

Nobby 7

Taylor 7

Huntingdon 6

Edgar 6

Milner 8

Butt 6

Pattison 2

Sibierski 6

Dyer 8

O'Brien 7

They are top of the Championship and at home. We are 6 places above them and away and decimated by injuries. In that context, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. It is disappointing seeing as we were so much on top in the second half, but there were quite a lot of our mob playing today who would struggle to get into Birmingham's first team. And ps, O'Brien was far more effective on the left in the second half than Luque would have been imo.

Fair enough if you think Luque's shite, but I don't see how you could possibly say O'Brien was "far more effective" than he would have been. Even if Luque lost the ball with every touch, O'Brien simply ballooned it into the crowd every time he got it. That's not "far more effective" than anyone would have been, it was just very poor.

A draw at the start of play would have been annoying, but a draw under the circumstances is unacceptable imo. If we'd had even the slightest idea of how to hold onto a lead this season, we'd be knocking on the Champions League door, and to throw it away yet again - at the last against ten men against an understrength Birmingham - is not on.

Sibierski also showed that he has no talent for using the ball when it's at his feet.

From one game? :lol:

He's never had any talent with the ball at his feet. He can't pass, can't dribble and can't cross. That's not from one game, that's from this season as a whole.

That's not to say he offers nothing to the team, as of course he does. His height, strength and determination mean he can pose a threat in the box - as we've seen from his goals. But anywhere else on the pitch he contributes nothing. He is also dreadfully lacking in pace and is incapable of taking his man on (Without losing the ball).

Given 7

Nobby 7

Taylor 7

Huntingdon 6

Edgar 6

Milner 8

Butt 6

Pattison 2

Sibierski 6

Dyer 8

O'Brien 7

Fair enough if you think Luque's shite, but I don't see how you could possibly say O'Brien was "far more effective" than he would have been. Even if Luque lost the ball with every touch, O'Brien simply ballooned it into the crowd every time he got it. That's not "far more effective" than anyone would have been, it was just very poor.

A draw at the start of play would have been annoying, but a draw under the circumstances is unacceptable imo. If we'd had even the slightest idea of how to hold onto a lead this season, we'd be knocking on the Champions League door, and to throw it away yet again - at the last against ten men against an understrength Birmingham - is not on.

Agreed.

There seems to be very little organisation when we don't have the ball. A lot of players don't seem to know where their core postions are hence our play a lot of the time seems ragged. This is one of the reasons Dyer has been such a breath of fresh air as he papers over a lot of this with his availability, runs and pace. Also his quick one two's with anyone who is paying attention.

Not seen or heard any of the game, but I think we did well to not lose this game. I felt it was an awful draw to get Birmingham away. Sounds like we should have won which is a bugger, and we defo don't need the extra game, but in terms of seeing the fixture - bearing in mind they are top of the Championship - I think a draw is pretty decent.

Not seen or heard any of the game, but I think we did well to not lose this game. I felt it was an awful draw to get Birmingham away. Sounds like we should have won which is a bugger, and we defo don't need the extra game, but in terms of seeing the fixture - bearing in mind they are top of the Championship - I think a draw is pretty decent.

Before the game, yes. But with 5 mins left, with the opposition down to 10 men we should have seen it out, also missed a few decent chances apparently.

Before the game, yes. But with 5 mins left, with the opposition down to 10 men we should have seen it out, also missed a few decent chances apparently.

Fair enough, but i'd sooner we fucked up and have another shot at it than go out.