Birmingham City 2-2 Newcastle FAC 3rd Round Post Match Thread

Yorkie

On the face of it a draw would have been predictable, and i would have taken it before hand.

But we should have beaten them easily and scored several in the second half. Disspointing, but all credit to Birmingham.

Good performances from Milner, Dyer, Martins, Butt and Solano. The rest were found wanting but thats not a suprise given their experience.

Not a replay we need given the fixtures we have to put up with already, but I think more than not most would take it over going out.

Birmingham might well be alot weaker come the replay, bendtner, kelly out and Radi suspended... but where will we be for players at that time?

Over to you fat man and Glen.

can we all please shut up about luque, accept he is not playin for us, his attitude is shit, id rather see a younsgter that may have a future play than someone that is most definitly off!

Not when the youngsters seem to be completley useless and are having bad games like this. Luque is at least a proven footballer.

And when has Luque ever been anything but completely useless.

Speaking of inexperience: Muamba, Bendtner, Larsson, Sadler etc. for Birmingham are all 21 or under as well, just off the top of my head. Not sure if that's a viable excuse today.

Last thing we needed was another game, we should have won that by miles when they went downt o 10, Brum battled hard though, credit to them for that.

Ref had a stinker, red card may have been outside the box but Milner was taken right out near the end of the 2nd half.

O'Brian has at least got lightening pace but if Pattison was playing in my garden I would closae the fkn curtains.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Maybe Roeder was worried about a cup-tied Luque...

And as far as Roeder goes, it seems he's missing something as a motivator. Every game this team comes out with their tails up and puts together some decent ball.  Then at half-time, or following a defensive meltdown, they lose all their courage and opportunism and hang their heads.  I think you can lay this at the feet of the players, but then again, Glenn doesn't really seem like he knows how to push the right buttons.

Guest sittingontheball

It looked like a clear push by their second goalscorer, but we should have sewn it up up by then.

I'm not his biggest fan, but Milner was unlucky with the freekick and the pen shout.  There was contact and the blerk wasn't playing the ball.

Very Souness-like performance, utterly unprofessional against a 10-man Championship side for over 50 minutes of the game. Replay was the last thing we needed here with all the injuries and the UEFA Cup starting up again next month. Serves the players right, I suppose, foot was well-and-truly taken off the gas at 2-1 (as we always do in games like these.) Fair play to Brum for being brave enough to get the equaliser.

Is the right word, unprofessional beyond belief. Very worrying signs that Roeder would rather keep on an utterly inept player (who has ultimately lost us the victory), before bringing on one he holds a personal grudge against, too.

Guest Bellers

FFS people need to sit down a chill out a bit...

It's the cup, Birmingham were always going to throw everything at us, we've got them at home now.

We weren't as bad as people are making out, yes we should have played better and put the game to bed, but we didn't...

can we all please shut up about luque, accept he is not playin for us, his attitude is shit, id rather see a younsgter that may have a future play than someone that is most definitly off!

Not when the youngsters seem to be completley useless and are having bad games like this. Luque is at least a proven footballer.

I'll ask the same question to you about Pattison.

On a few more occasions than O'Brien as far as I'm concerned.

Pattison was horrible in the last 20 mins

Sorry like, but am I the only one that thought he was TERRIBLE for the full game, infact all this season...

Thought the bits we saw of him last season he looked like a tricky promising player but everything I've seen of him this season makes he look like he'd struggle in league 2. In fact can't remember a player of worse quality playing for us for a hell of a long time.

can't pass, can't shoot, can't cross, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't head the ball, can't run fast, can't attack, can't defend and can't play football AT ALL! Would like to know what he actually can do apart from concede free kicks and possession and accurately pass to the opposition....

It's the cup, Birmingham were always going to throw everything at us, we've got them at home now.

We weren't as bad as people are making out, yes we should have played better and put the game to bed, but we didn't...

In case you missed it, Brum had 10-men for 50 minutes and are in the division below us... they also lost 2 players to injury during the game.

In case you missed it, Brum had 10-men for 50 minutes and are in the division below us... they also lost 2 players to injury during the game.

Spot on.

Speaking of inexperience: Muamba, Bendtner, Larsson, Sadler etc. for Birmingham are all 21 or under as well, just off the top of my head. Not sure if that's a viable excuse today.

they have nothing to lose being the underdogs though! that counts for something!

Very Souness-like performance, utterly unprofessional against a 10-man Championship side for over 50 minutes of the game. Replay was the last thing we needed here with all the injuries and the UEFA Cup starting up again next month. Serves the players right, I suppose, foot was well-and-truly taken off the gas at 2-1 (as we always do in games like these.) Fair play to Brum for being brave enough to get the equaliser.

very much agree, and i've believe that we take our foot off the gas because we're too eager for a break.  by that i mean that i think everyone in the side is either injured or exhausted due to all the extra games and the tiny squad; the players feel like it's been all (available) hands to the pumps ALL the time. so, whenever the chance comes to let up a bit, they do. 

Muamba was very good I thought.

True about the inexperience but at least they have been playing together for the majority of the season.

All credit to them, although its too easy to take the 1 man advantage for granted we should have finished the game mind..

they have nothing to lose being the underdogs though! that counts for something!

And Huntington, Edgar, Pattison, etc. are playing to prove they're good enough at this level.

Guest s0ftcore

Unlucky.

Should have taken our chances.

However saying that we should win the replay.

We weren't unlucky. They wanted it more. We got complacent. Martins too cocky by trying to be too clever, and Roeder keeping on Pattison and putting on O'brien. Must say he got the tactics right by playing 2 speedy guys up front but when things were looking stale and players losing focus, he shoulda made a change but he didn't.

If this was a league game I'd be fuming  blueupset.gif

Sbierski had an injury.

We had 2 wingers Luque and O'Brien, a striker in Carroll and a 15-year old on the bench. Can't blame Roeder's subs.

Sibs going off wasn't a tactical switch? So that means Roeder was forced to change his game plan? Fuck me - that cunt's pretty one-dimensional. Couldn't he see we weren't much of an attacking threat in the first half?  bluedead.gif

First 10 mins was great football from us. We had them on the counter for the next 20-25 mins but the last 10 mins you could see we were willing to just stop playing as though we won. I'm sure Luque could have been brought on!

And Huntington, Edgar, Pattison, etc. are playing to prove they're good enough at this level.

im not saying its a good excuse but the pressure is off for the birmingham youngsters!

Guest Bellers

I'm not excusing that, but people who sit here and make their knee jerk reactions (a lot of whoem probably didn't watch the game) need to calm down a bit, FFS you think we'd been knocked out...

Martins and Dyer were absolutely paggered by the 75 minute mark, I was desperately hoping he'd give at least one of them a break because it cannot have been easy-going on them on a pitch like St. Andrews. His lack of bottle in regards to substitutes is my main gripe with Glenn, although I still think we've done remarkably well lately. Managers need to gamble sometimes, though, especially when arguably our two most important players look wrecked and are at a high risk to injury during a game.

I can't see how Carroll could have offered anything less than either of them in the last 15 minutes, I know they were given chances but they did a magic job of fucking them up.

Guest JamesD

being in the championship doesn't mean much, as they are only 7 places behind us in the football league. and having 10 men, as been proved many many many many times before, can spur a team on to a good preformance.