Saints receive 10mill Bale Bid

Guest smoggeordie

If Bale is good enough for the EPL, and everyone seems to think he will eventually be the best LB in the world, surely it is sound financial business to pay £10m now for a 17 year old who will play in the LB position for the next 13 years (assuming he sticks around and accepts new contracts).  The alternative is to sign a 26 year old LB now for around £6m, who will need replacing in 4 years time, when the replacement will probably cost in excess of £6m.  What is stupid is paying £10m for a 26/28 year old but not for a 17 year old!

Because a 26/28 year old will have proven their ability over a number of years and not 30 games in the championship!

Guest Knightrider

My Saints mate reckons take away his freekicks and tricks and he's just like most young players and he's seriously worrried that Bale will end up at a Man Utd, gets loaned out right left and center and becomes another wasted talent. 10m for a 17 year old who has played 30 games or something, as Gejon says, is daftness gone mad. Far too

Guest Brazilianbob

If Bale is good enough for the EPL, and everyone seems to think he will eventually be the best LB in the world, surely it is sound financial business to pay £10m now for a 17 year old who will play in the LB position for the next 13 years (assuming he sticks around and accepts new contracts).  The alternative is to sign a 26 year old LB now for around £6m, who will need replacing in 4 years time, when the replacement will probably cost in excess of £6m.  What is stupid is paying £10m for a 26/28 year old but not for a 17 year old!

Because a 26/28 year old will have proven their ability over a number of years and not 30 games in the championship!

What is the point of paying around £6m for someone like Bridge on a four year contract, in what would be a relatively short term fix at LB, only to have to start the search all over again in a couple of years.  Roeder has gone on record as wanting to buy quality young players who will play for the club for years.  In my book Bale fits the criteria.

Bridge would be good for another 4-6 years imo, how many clubs buy players for longer terms than that? 4 years is quite a long term investment tbh and Bridge is proven at the top level so we can be almost certain that £6m will be well invested!

What happens if we spend £10m on Bale and he turns out to be just a show pony! Hardly a long term investment then and we will have to find a replacement with less funds..

Not worth more than £5m at the moment.

Would say that Babayaro currently has more ability.

What?!...  Babayaro is an absolutely aweful defender!

And for all we know at this point, Bale could be an even worse one.

Heck, if I recall correctly even Babayaro was considered "highly promising" back in his heyday.

Ramage, Edger and Hunttington are all better at leftback then Baba so I really don't see how that's possible.

Ramage, Edger and Hunttington are all better at leftback then Baba so I really don't see how that's possible.

Well Edgar and Hunty maybe..

Its swings and roundabouts whether Carr or Baba is worse, neither of them can stay "injury free" long enough to judge.

Would say :lol: that Babayaro currently has more ability.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it not Southampton trying to get Man Utd to pay more by letting slip another club has bid 10m?

Personally, from my own experience of living down here in Southampton for almost three years, I'd have to say that this £10m bid has Portsmouth written all over it.

What?!...  Babayaro is an absolutely awful defender!

Depends whether you class ability on set piece skills and long shots, in which case Bale is better, or whether you class ability on defensive skills, in which case Babayaro is better. Doesn't necessarily mean Bale wont be better, but from what I've seen in the flesh, he has a hell of a lot to learn.

There is still a very strong posibility that he's going to be convertedt to a left-winger rather than a left back when he develops. Definitely something we dont need.

Ramage[/b], Edger and Hunttington are all better at leftback then Baba so I really don't see how that's possible.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its true, and its not funny, its sad...

What?!...  Babayaro is an absolutely awful defender!

Depends whether you class ability on set piece skills and long shots, in which case Bale is better, or whether you class ability on defensive skills, in which case Babayaro is better. Doesn't necessarily mean Bale wont be better, but from what I've seen in the flesh, he has a hell of a lot to learn.

But Babayaro has a lot to learn and he's 29..  Seriously Bale might have loads to learn but that doesn't neccesarily mean he's worse then Baba defensively.

:lol: :lol:

Annnnnnnd..... Saints reject 10mill Bale Bid.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article2177929.ece

Quality journalism that - the headline might say "Saints reject bid" but there's no confirmation of it in the actual story! Yes, the Spuds and Man Yoo bids were rejected, and Burley "insisting" Bale will stay... but no mention of the 10m bid being rejected...

The transfer market on young players in this country has gone fucking insane. Bale's made, what, 30 appearances or something? Same for that lad at Watford, 20 odd Premiership games and £9.5m! I hadn't even noticed him before the bids went in tbh.

Makes it all the more crazy when people say Martins isn't worth £10m. If he was English, we'd have been talking a good £25m for him and that potential, minimum.

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Tottenham are holding talks with Southampton teenager Gareth Bale after having a £10m bid accepted for the defender. (Daily Mirror)

Spurs and Manchester United are locked in a battle for Bale. (Daily Express)

Tottenham and Arsenal are among the clubs targeting 17-year-old Bale. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United and Tottenham face a head-to-head battle to land Bale. (Daily Star)

Bale has set his heart on a move to Manchester United, despite an £8m bid from Tottenham. (The Sun)

looks like it's between Spurs, ManU and Arse.