The unsung heroes of the Premiership (my top 10) - how about yours?

Guest Knightrider

Paul Dickov, Kevin Davies and Robbie Savage.

Eh? He's fucking shite!

One name that immediately comes to mind when I saw this thread title is Lee Carsley. Seen Everton no the telly 3 times in recent weeks and he's really impressed me. I just read someone's "Worst prem 11" post and he was in it...not IMO. Hardly gets a mention but I thought he was doing a really good job.

For City I would say its Distin. Dunne isn't rated by a lot of people but most of the City support thinks the sun shines out of his arse (Won last 2 player of the year awards). Not sure what the word I'd use to describe him is. Great most games but when he's bad he's really, really bad and can make some baffling fuckups. Distin however is much more consistent and we really miss him when he's not fit (Thankfully not a lot - he missed 10 minutes in 03/04 and 04/05 combined). He's not someone I'd describe as top drawer but he's got more than enough in his locker to deal with most things that teams in this league can throw at us. But he's not a spectacular player or a character and he has a reputation as a mercenary so he doesn't get much attention.

Kolo (or Koolaid if your a commentator for talksport) Toure, Joseph Yobo, William Gallas.

These 3 make me watch football first. How to defend in a nutshell.

Morten Gamst Pedersen- Just starting to get the credit he deserves.

Kevin Nolan- One of the most consistant prem midfielders and hes only 24.

Brian McBride- Always gives alot to whatever team he plays for and a great header of the ball.

Gary O'Neil and Matty Taylor- I know alot of people rate them but for left sided players they never get in the england team.

Oh and whoever put Ronaldo in "Hero" catagory deserves a linching. The guy may be a fantastic footballer but he's also everything i hate about the game today. Diving cunthead.

Morten Gamst Pedersen- Just starting to get the credit he deserves.

Kevin Nolan- One of the most consistant prem midfielders and hes only 24.

Brian McBride- Always gives alot to whatever team he plays for and a great header of the ball.

Gary O'Neil and Matty Taylor- I know alot of people rate them but for left sided players they never get in the england team.

Oh and whoever put Ronaldo in "Hero" catagory deserves a linching. The guy may be a fantastic footballer but he's also everything i hate about the game today. Diving cunthead.

He's fantastic, until you realise Souness signed him, he isn't Ali Dia either.

It's a curious list - and I have little to add to the debate except this:

If Xabi Alonso was rated as highly as he should be then there would be no debate about Gerrard and his "favoured position". There's a very good reason Rafa doesn't play him in centre midfield - there are two players there who are much better than him! (In addendum maybe Sissoko would have been a more worthy addition to the "unsung" list?)

that's utter rubbish

If Xabi Alonso was rated as highly as he should be then there would be no debate about Gerrard and his "favoured position". There's a very good reason Rafa doesn't play him in centre midfield - there are two players there who are much better than him! (In addendum maybe Sissoko would have been a more worthy addition to the "unsung" list?)

that's utter rubbish

Xabi and Gerrard would be a fantastic pairing IMO, Sissosko is decent but I can't see him matching Alonso for the DM position.

that's utter rubbish

Xabi and Gerrard would be a fantastic pairing IMO, Sissosko is decent but I can't see him matching Alonso for the DM position.

Rafa is a knob when it comes to team slections i mean even tries play Crouch/Kuyt Bellamy and Sissoko on the left/right, so if your justifying his team selection as correct, wow.  he is incompetent and dont know his best team at all, even now!  taking bellamy off for fowler on saturday - wtf!

Underrated Eleven might have been a better bet than simply "top ten":

Jussi Jaaskelainan

Phil Neville

Joseph Yobo

Abdoulaye Meite

Gael Clichy

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Mikel Arteta

Kevin Nolan

Matt Taylor

Brian McBride

Kevin Davies

I'd have any of them at SJP.

Gamst Pedersen in particular, what a fucking player that boy is. Surely a move to a bigger club is on the agenda in the summer? Not saying that equates to us, but imagine the kid at Liverpool or replacing Ronaldo at Man Utd... seriously. Outside of Ronaldo, I'm not sure if there's a better/more consistent winger in the league.

Quite amazingly, he features in the "top 5" in every statistic on SkySports Opta Stats for Blackburn, other than bookings... but including fouls given away.

<a href="http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=5&hlid=OPTA_Blackburn_Rovers&cpid=8">Stats</a>

Most tellingly for me he has made more tackles than any other Blackburn player (72) with the highest success percentage as well, (81.9%), simply unheard of for a wideman. I think only Xabi Alonso has a higher number/percentage score than him in the entire league. Scott Parker is 3rd overall, behind these two (percentage/numbers wise). Pedersen is the epitomy of a modern "winger". 6 league goals and 3 assists this season. 9 league goals last season, 4 the previous. Not bad.

I don't really know the exact definition of unsung. In this age of detailed media scrutiny I wouldn't say that any players' credit would go unnoticed. But I would give it a shot however.

Mark Schwarzer - Other keepers (Jaaskelainen, Sorensen, Weaver) have got plenty of credits for their sudden surge of performance. But Schwarzer has yet to grab spotlight as others, though he is equal to afforementioned keepers.

Gary Neville - What a class act this season he is. The near complete full back package. Not only he is as strong defensively as ever, he has improved vastly on his overlapping, crossing and other offensive play. While Evra grabs the headlines due to his previous villain statue, and while Neville has got his share of praise, he in my opinion should get a lot more attention.

Joleon Lescott - I don't understand why the media spotlights are still on Campbell and Dawson, when Lescott's performance and versatility, especially the latter, are better than them this season.

Nemanja Vidic - He is the intelligent version of John Terry. He is the best centre back this season, and he makes Rio Ferdinand looks good beside him. This is not easy.

Nobby Solano - Hardly any mention about his excellence as right back for Newcastle United in the media.

El-Hadji Diouf - See Savage.

Robbie Savage - His antics are hardly unsung. But his dirty works for his teams are not noted much as a result. He is the pillar for Blackburn, especially with the team having two light weight wingers.

Mikel Arteta - Others have said enough in this thread.

James Milner - Still not a top class player, but he has been trully magnificient for Newcastle United. At times he carries the whole team himself. A player whom you should only underetimate at your own peril.

Yakubu - Spotlights are on Martins, Berbatov, Kuyt, McCarthyetc. But where would Boro be without him?

Andriv Schevchenko - He is hardly annonymous. But people are constantly talking about his price tag, his lack of goal, his striker partnership etc. But why is Drogba doing so well whenever Schevchenko is playing alongside him? True he is not as clinical as he should be. But his running, his positioning, his creation of space are top class and many times all these lead to Drogba's goals. In yesterday Observer Drogba states that he prefers playing in a 442 Chelsea rather than a 433 Chelsea. What he forgets is that his partner in his favourite system is this expensive player.

Manager - Aidy Boothroyd. His team is rock bottom in the league but people forget the works he is doing for Watford. Perhaps the media realise that he won't be sack, hence not really news worthy. However, one rarely sees a relegation bound team battling so impressively every match.

Gamst Pedersen in particular, what a fucking player that boy is. Surely a move to a bigger club is on the agenda in the summer? Not saying that equates to us, but imagine the kid at Liverpool or replacing Ronaldo at Man Utd... seriously. Outside of Ronaldo, I'm not sure if there's a better/more consistent winger in the league.

Quite amazingly, he features in the "top 5" in every statistic on SkySports Opta Stats for Blackburn, other than bookings... but including fouls given away.

<a href="http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=5&hlid=OPTA_Blackburn_Rovers&cpid=8">Stats</a>

Most tellingly for me he has made more tackles than any other Blackburn player (72) with the highest success percentage as well, (81.9%), simply unheard of for a wideman. I think only Xabi Alonso has a higher number/percentage score than him in the entire league. Scott Parker is 3rd overall, behind these two (percentage/numbers wise). Pedersen is the epitomy of a modern "winger". 6 league goals and 3 assists this season. 9 league goals last season, 4 the previous. Not bad.

Could see Spurs going for him with their problems, not that they are a much bigger club.

Given

Phil Neville    Lescott    Dunne    O'Neill

Savage

Nolan

Arteta                                        Taylor

McBride      Lita

Given

Phil Neville    Lescott     Dunne   O'Neill

Savage

Nolan

Arteta                                        Taylor

McBride      Lita

As in Gary, from Porstmouth? If so he most definately doesn't play left back.

Guest Knightrider

Scholes is hardly unsung, he just shys away from the media unlike Gerrard and co

The players in my list are in one way or another unsung heroes in their own team, with their own fans, and compared to the more celebrated player in their bracket of top to world-class players. Scholes has never had the recognition others like Bergkamp or Zola used to get, or today with Henry, for example. The media fawn over the likes of Cech and van De Saar, as well as Lehmen and Robinson even (although not of late) while 'keepers like Shay, Boro's 'keeper and others are constantly overlooked.

Of course there are many players who fall into the unsung hero category but I wanted to concentrate more on the better unsung heroes who are at the peak of their games who have all left an indelible mark on the Premiership which IMO the likes of Diouf (great player and yes, underrated) haven't quite done.

Guest Bellers

Here's my top five in no particular order...

Ole Gunner Solskjaer - The "baby faced assassin" spends most of his time on the sidelines bench warming, some would say he's a money grabber, but he clearly loves playing for his club, Manchester United. He's been called from the bench countless times to pull Fergie's men from the mire, the best example being his injury time equaliser in the 1999 champions league final. A model pro on and off the pitch.

Morton Gamst Pederson - A fantastic find by one Mr. Souness back in his Blackburn days. The boy's got the lot including an exceptional goal scoring record. He frequently shines out in an average looking Blackburn side and is almost destined for greater things.

Kevin Davies - A huge factor in Bolton's recent success. Davies is not the quickest but his stength and intelligance make him a formidable opponent.  Tends to pop with hugely important goals that have lead his club to european qualification.

Mikel Arteta - Arguably Everton's most important player. Pulls the strings alongside Tim Cahill in midfield. His set pieces, intelligant passing and eye for goal makes him one of the premiership's finest play makers.

Kevin Doyle - Found himself behind Kitson and Lita in the pecking order this time last year, but this year the lad has justified every penny of his £800,000 fee. The lad rarely gets noticed, but has taken to the premiership like a duck to water and has helped steer reading into a european place. A fantastic little player destined for great things.

Here's my top five in no particular order...

Ole Gunner Solskjaer - The "baby faced assassin" spends most of his time on the sidelines bench warming, some would say he's a money grabber, but he clearly loves playing for his club, Manchester United. He's been called from the bench countless times to pull Fergie's men from the mire, the best example being his injury time equaliser in the 1999 champions league final. A model pro on and off the pitch.

Morton Gamst Pederson - A fantastic find by one Mr. Souness back in his Blackburn days. The boy's got the lot including an exceptional goal scoring record. He frequently shines out in an average looking Blackburn side and is almost destined for greater things.

Kevin Davies - A huge factor in Bolton's recent success. Davies is not the quickest but his stength and intelligance make him a formidable opponent.  Tends to pop with hugely important goals that have lead his club to european qualification.

Mikel Arteta - Arguably Everton's most important player. Pulls the strings alongside Tim Cahill in midfield. His set pieces, intelligant passing and eye for goal makes him one of the premiership's finest play makers.

Kevin Doyle - Found himself behind Kitson and Lita in the pecking order this time last year, but this year the lad has justified every penny of his £800,000 fee. The lad rarely gets noticed, but has taken to the premiership like a duck to water and has helped steer reading into a european place. A fantastic little player destined for great things.

80k.

The Premiership is forever dominated by the big names and flair players and rightly so, but beneath the surface of superstardom lie players who if anything, really deserve the credit and headlines, the unsung heroes. Here are my top 10.

1 - Jamie Carragher -...

Jamie Carragher unsung?  Fucking Hell, overrated if anything.

He certainly isn't 'unsung' in Liverpool circles either.  They refer to him as Cara-dona FFS.

was only £80k mate i think