Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

7 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, we had pundits saying a combined XI was all Arsenal players before the game. Merse said we’d be bottom half without Kane, then said Arsenal would destroy us.

It’s all hyperbole. Build them up, knock them down. 

Darren Bent and Paul Merson are not the finest football minds the country has ever seen tbf 

I hate that football commentators don't know the difference between 'just' and 'just about'. Eg  'the ball just about crept over the line'. For those that have been informed by football English, 'just about' is negative (ie. the ball almost crossed the line, but did not) while 'just' is positive (ie. the ball crossed the line, but almost didn't). 

As far as I know, only football commentators fail to see the distinction between these terms - in fact the incorrect use of 'just about' is often ised several times in one match. Grrrrr.

3 minutes ago, TomYam said:

I hate that football commentators don't know the difference between 'just' and 'just about'. Eg  'the ball just about crept over the line'. For those that have been informed by football English, 'just about' is negative (ie. the ball almost crossed the line, but did not) while 'just' is positive (ie. the ball crossed the line, but almost didn't). 

As far as I know, only football commentators fail to see the distinction between these terms - in fact the incorrect use of 'just about' is often ised several times in one match. Grrrrr.

Does it? I never knew that. I thought 'just about' implied a degree of uncertainty. Like I'd say "oh I think I just about made it on time", meaning I think I just made it, but it was close, I can't be 100%.

8 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Does it? I never knew that. I thought 'just about' implied a degree of uncertainty. Like I'd say "oh I think I just about made it on time", meaning I think I just made it, but it was close, I can't be 100%.

I thought it was a I know I’m a bit late, but barely kind of comment. Like ‘I just about made it out in time for the start of the second half’ 😉

10 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I thought it was a I know I’m a bit late, but barely kind of comment. Like ‘I just about made it out in time for the start of the second half’ 😉

That's right, basically. In the example I gave, the ball 'just about' crossing the goal line would lead to VAR disallowing a goal. You 'just about' making it out for the start of the second half should lead to an enforced forfeiture of your season ticket. :geordiesathome:

17 minutes ago, enthusiast said:

The number of people who can't spell "Ten Hag", or other commonly-heard names of really famous people.

I wouldn't worry, the rate he's going his name won't be getting referred to so frequently for much longer.

Little one from yesterday, but Emerson got booked for waving an imaginary card at the ref for Bruno's first yellow, for the second foul, two or three West Ham went up to the ref asking the question. Either book everyone who tries getting a player booked, or none.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Little one from yesterday, but Emerson got booked for waving an imaginary card at the ref for Bruno's first yellow, for the second foul, two or three West Ham went up to the ref asking the question. Either book everyone who tries getting a player booked, or none.

Miggy was caught waving the imaginary card as well but got away with it.