Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Use of the word "average" to denote players clearly far below average for their standard/league. See, most of our team but in particular Colback/Elliot.

Who would you name as an average player from another team out of interest?

Use of the word "average" to denote players clearly far below average for their standard/league. See, most of our team but in particular Colback/Elliot.

Jordan Henderson

Ryan Shawcross, Darren Fletcher, Sissoko off the top of my head maybe?

An average, as in middle of the road player, good enough for a team in 8th-12th but not good enough at a larger club... Colback, for example, struggled in the Championship, ergo he isn't an average PL footballer.

Guest firetotheworks

Jordan Henderson is a regular starter for a team fighting for the champions league, man. This whole Henderson thing proper winds me up like. :lol:

Mid-table player that's been around for a while, makes the odd mistake but is generally solid? My vote goes to Ryan Shawcross.

Jordan Henderson is punching way above his weight IMO. Take all those quality players with exceptional movement from around him, stick him in the England team and he shows his true standard.

Bang Average!

There's no bias on my part either. I could've give a shit that he's a mackem, he could be called Jordano Hendersinho for all I care - he'd still be bang average

Guest firetotheworks

It's a two way street imo, he's very good at playing quick, first-time balls into the front players when intercepting. Him and Dier alongside each other in midfield is just incredibly pointless though and why he never looks the same player for England. He needs a more creative, mobile player alongside him for it to work.

I'm not sure I believe in players punching above their weight either tbh, they either fit in with the players around them, or they don't. A good contrast might be Danny Drinkwater so far for Chelsea vs Steve Sidwell at Chelsea.

When I look at Henderson I don't see any attribute that is above average. Shelvey might be average in most areas but he is an exceptional passer of the ball. What is Henderson's outstanding attribute?

I've never watched a game when he's been playing and thought 'wow, Jordan Henderson has had a great game'. Granted i don't watch him that often but it seems his upper level in terms of performance is just 'good' or 'didn't do anything wrong'. He never takes a game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard or puts in a truly standout performance like Lampard, Mata, Fabrages, Eriksen, Ozil, Can, Wanyama, Lemina, and given the position he plays in i guess these are the players he needs to be compared with.

Guest firetotheworks

When I look at Henderson I don't see any attribute that is above average. Shelvey might be average in most areas but he is an exceptional passer of the ball. What is Henderson's outstanding attribute?

I've never watched a game when he's been playing and thought 'wow, Jordan Henderson has had a great game'. Granted i don't watch him that often but it seems his upper level in terms of performance is just 'good' or 'didn't do anything wrong'. He never takes a game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard or puts in a truly standout performance like Lampard, Mata, Fabrages, Eriksen, Ozil, Can, Wanyama, Lemina, and given the position he plays in i guess these are the players he needs to be compared with.

He does take games by the scruff of the neck, like. Not in the same way as Gerrard, but you'd see that if you watched Liverpool more. His outstanding attribute for me is as I mentioned, he's very good at very quickly turning defence into attack with interceptions that are often half interceptions and half first-time passes straight into that front three, he does that really well, keep an eye out for it. His long passing and late running into the box is often excellent as well, although the problem with that is that one of his obvious weaknesses is finishing. If you saw his goal against Leicester, he does that fairly regularly but his finishing isn't there.

Players on the defending team assuming penalties are going to be scored. Tom Davies for Everton was f***ing about with his socks as Cleverley took that one for Watford today, some of ours were doing it at Southampton as well. Really unprofessional.

On this note, a big pethate of mine is fans who assume penalties would have been scored after the match, does my head in.  So if we it's 1-1 and someone says "yeah but it should've been 2-1 cos we should've had a penalty".  No it shouldn't because if that penalty had been given there's no guarantee it would've been scored, and even if it was that then changes the whole game and you could've ended up losing 3-2 or anything so it's a pointless debate. 

As for Henderson I think he's a decent player but he doesn't have the speed of thought required to be a top player, if anything he sees situations developing slightly too late and often seems to slow it down a bit and not release the ball quick enough. 

Other football pethates "It was a great cross there was just nobody in the area" ... and "ohhhhh that's so unlucky" when someone misses a shot, it was just inaccurate.

Half agree on the cross one.  Because I would also argue it the other way.  I find players not gambling on a ball being played in is a pet hate of mine.

Sometimes the guy who is crossing it doesn't have a lot of room to work with and he just flashes one across the face of goal, with nobody even attempting to get on it.  Everyone hovering around for the same cut back, that isn't even on.  Then they just throw their arms up in frustration, like it isn't their fault.  Despite the fact there are 2-3 defenders between them and the ball. 

I think there was even one against Chelsea, where Murphy actually overhit a cross and we had 2 players going front post and one loitering around on the edge.  It ended up dropping back post, with nobody even close to it and could have been a tap in. 

I'll join in the penalties one, but from a slightly different angle. When a manager grumbles about losing a match because of a penalty not given to his side. Nah mate, set up and train your team to score goals and then you don't have to worry about getting penalties. As far as I'm concerned, a penalty should be a bonus and not what a manager relies on to get a result. I have hazy recollections of souness doing this a lot.

Said it before. Hate it when they are doing the FA Cup / League Cup draws and the name and the number of the teams are displayed on screen. Last night, I avoided looking at it. Takes out the suspense and surprise. Only knew we were no 28. Thought we were 26 at first. Had no idea it was Luton too so was happy with it.

Another thing that annoys me when we're out and whoever beats us gets Chelsea and people go "oh we would've had Chelsea"...no we wouldn't cos we would've been a different ball.  :frantic:

Not all the time, especially in the early rounds.

I'll join in the penalties one, but from a slightly different angle. When a manager grumbles about losing a match because of a penalty not given to his side. Nah mate, set up and train your team to score goals and then you don't have to worry about getting penalties. As far as I'm concerned, a penalty should be a bonus and not what a manager relies on to get a result. I have hazy recollections of souness doing this a lot.

Hmm, not sure I agree. If your player has been taken down in the box and you should have been given a penalty and don't get it then you have clearly not been given a great opportunity to score. A penalty can also change the dynamic of a game dram tactically, especially if it's followed up with a red card or even a booking for key defensive player.

That's another thing that annoys me tbh penalties are too easy. Smashing the ball from 12 yards with no defenders it just encourages people to dive as soon as they get over the line.  I'd love to see the spot moved back a couple of yards to give the keeper more of a chance, or ideally only give penalties for fouls that denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, otherwise just have a free kick inside the box.  Seems silly to me that if you get tripped on the corner of the box with five men between you and the goal you still get a free shot from 12 yards.

That's another thing that annoys me tbh penalties are too easy. Smashing the ball from 12 yards with no defenders it just encourages people to dive as soon as they get over the line.  I'd love to see the spot moved back a couple of yards to give the keeper more of a chance, or ideally only give penalties for fouls that denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, otherwise just have a free kick inside the box.  Seems silly to me that if you get tripped on the corner of the box with five men between you and the goal you still get a free shot from 12 yards.

Only let an outfield player be in goal for the penalty, and make the penalty takers wear blindfolds. Football's meant to be entertainment after all :lol:

Actually I’m fairly certain that a penalty is only for denying a goal scoring opportunity. There have been cases where a foul has been given in the box and as the attacking player was moving away from goal, only an indirect free kick was given. The most common cause of free kicks being given in the box is the backpass rule. It just happens to be that most fouls in the box can be deemed as denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Actually I’m fairly certain that a penalty is only for denying a goal scoring opportunity. There have been cases where a foul has been given in the box and as the attacking player was moving away from goal, only an indirect free kick was given. The most common cause of free kicks being given in the box is the backpass rule. It just happens to be that most fouls in the box can be deemed as denying a goal scoring opportunity.

No mate it's just any free kick offence that's in the box is a penalty, I really hope you're not a ref!  :lol: You'll see many penalties given every week that are not clear goalscoring opportunities - eg player handballs a cross.