Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Done to death (no joke intended), but minute's applause. Just stand in silence for 60 seconds. It's not fucking hard.

Think the first time I remember it turning into a minute's applause was for George Best and ever since then it's just taken over.

It's got too confusing for some.  I remember half the crowd breaking into applause for the Remberence Day minute's silence at SJP last season or the season before.  Horrendous. 

Patronising commentators

Just heard this as it's Arsenal 2-0 Brighton

"Brighton fans you can hear singing. Determined to make the most of their big day out in London"

Christ. Can remember Cabaye making it 2-0 for us against ManU - the season we finished fifth. Commentator goes "beyond Newcastle's wildest dreams!!!!"

Guest firetotheworks

Patronising commentators

Just heard this as it's Arsenal 2-0 Brighton

"Brighton fans you can hear singing. Determined to make the most of their big day out in London"

Christ. Can remember Cabaye making it 2-0 for us against ManU - the season we finished fifth. Commentator goes "beyond Newcastle's wildest dreams!!!!"

Leeds United, aye, fucking Leeds went 1-0 up at home to Man United in the F.A Cup, and Peter Drury came out with "You tell them dreams aren't possible" when the camera was on the Leeds fans. :anguish: They're desperate to enforce this whole can't compete/plucky underdog bollocks at every turn. Exactly why people like Pardew are perfect for Sky.

Done to death (no joke intended), but minute's applause. Just stand in silence for 60 seconds. It's not fucking hard.

Think the first time I remember it turning into a minute's applause was for George Best and ever since then it's just taken over.

Disagree tbh. In a lot of circumstances applause is better; when celebrating the life of someone who had a good innings and didn't die in some atrocity or disaster of course.

One of my pals is a Blackburn fan, he said years ago they had 2 minutes silence for Jack Walker at the first home game after he died; totes emosh, not a dry eye in the house, almost eerie quietness even after the 2 minutes were over... and Blackburn two goals down within 15 minutes. Always stuck with me that.