Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

If I was a fan of Arsenal, Man U, Man C or Chelsea, I would be expecting to challenge for the Premier League every year.

My point (probably badly made) is that Arsenal haven't been challenging for the league for years. If recent seasons are to go by, they are simply challenging to finish 4th. So on what basis can Arsenal fans coming into this season or next, realistically expect their team to compete for the league?

Other than financial standing, what do Arsenal have to be able to compete with the clubs you've mentioned, let alone gain edge over...

I was going to follow up that post two days ago :lol:. Finally I get the chance!

I checked the league positions over the last 10 years. Every time a big side underperformed - almost without fail - they changed manager. The problem is that Arsenal never had a reallybad season. They kept chugging along in the top four, rarely looking like winning the league but always doing enough. The one time they dropped out of the top four was last year. Other big teams had perfect excuses/opportunities to freshen things up. Arsenal would have had to make a much tougher and less clear-cut decision.

it honestly seemed for a good 5,6 years that Arsenal were having the exact same season every year with the exact same failings on the pitch and in the transfer market.

Guest firetotheworks

f***ing hell, man. :lol: The fact they're not competing is the exact problem and the thing they're p*ssed off about.

Think about it, you're basically saying 'They don't compete for the title anymore, so how can they complain about not competing for the title anymore?'

To be fair to Wenger its not like they've continuously been throwing loads of money around every year since they last won the league. After they moved to the Emirates he wasn't allowed to spend that much and Ozil was the first really big name player they had bought in ages when he came iirc. Even since 2013 they've never really went on a big spending spree in a particular summer like Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea have

Aye, they need to check themselves on their reality. You can only complain about something of expectancy can't you? I'm saying they shouldn't be expecting to challenge for the league in the very first place.

We've had the unrealistic tag of expecting too much from our team for years. We're no longer p*ssed off about not being in Europe anymore, because no f***er thinks it's possible. There comes a stage where a fan base has to realign their expectations of where the club is at.

Guest Howaythetoon

Arsenal fans have a right to demand, yes demand, that their club tries to win the league every season or compete for it given their history, stadium size, finances and the cost of tickets etc. They don’t have a right to expect the title. Hell not even Man Utd fans do these days, but they have a right to demand their club tries to and for years now that’s never been the case. The problem as I see it and this is going off of what my brother-in-law says as well is that Wenger has so much control over Arsenal and that coaching and even scouting wise they are a bit of a joke these days, but in the borardroom he’s delivering trophies (Cups) and CL or European football which is bringing the money in. Only the football has now deteriorated to such a level fans are bored and now the players aren’t up for it. You can’t sustian that even with an odd cup win because the better players will eventually think fuck that, I want off. Sanchez, van Persie before him. And fans will become restless as they now are and I would be watching them week in week out, they are awful.

What I dislike, but can’t disagree with because it’s not my club, is the lack of respect towards Wenger from a now sizeable minority and their fans tv channel with this fam that and blood this. My brother-in-law fucking hates it, but it makes the channel money because it gets watched by a lot of people and is now being used by mainstream media who write articles about fans feelings.

That’s another side to the game I dislike, or rather the media. It’s like we have fuck all to write about or don’t dare criticise Wenger or the players so we’ll plug what the fans are saying and write about that.

Wenger has to go if only to save his own legacy otherwise it will get ugly and they will slip further away from the rest. It won’t be an easy fix replacing him, but it won’t be like a poisoned chalice either, hire the right man (easier said than done) and invest well and that gap that’s grew massively lately can be closed pretty quickly.

Had Man Utd went for Mourinho or Klopp after Fergie, they might have had a title by now or even a CL. They went for Moyes instead and then van Gaal who won a trophie and finished in the top 4, but he spent massively. Mourinho is now struggling to get them back to where they were under Fergie and although you can argue City are like an immovable object, so was Fergie’s Man Utd when Mourinho rocked up and broke all kinds of records first time around at Chelsea.

He like Wenger, however, is a busted flush at the moment.

Women presenters/commentators. Realise this is probably going to come across really sexist (something I’m definitely not) but the whole thing feels really forced in light of the publicity the equal pay/jobs/work etc that’s been in the press quite a lot lately.

I just can’t get away with a women’s voice commentating on men’s football and the push for women to be involved in the men’s game. It’s a recipe for disaster. Women’s football is on the rise let’s just keep it at that.

Probably sound a cunt but it really gets on my tits. Sorry...my nerves.

Handballs. Just get rid of them unless it actually is a deliberate handball (e.g. STaylor v Villa, Suarez v Ghana). Hate that a team can blow a game from a ball pinging about and hitting an outstretched arm. E.g. that incident ManU v Liverpool, by modern definition everyone seems to think that is one, I'd want it for us, but like fuck should it be.

Handballs. Just get rid of them unless it actually is a deliberate handball (e.g. STaylor v Villa, Suarez v Ghana). Hate that a team can blow a game from a ball pinging about and hitting an outstretched arm. E.g. that incident ManU v Liverpool, by modern definition everyone seems to think that is one, I'd want it for us, but like f*** should it be.

I just don't get why the FA have to fuck about with simple rules. Deliberate handball = freekick, and harsher punishment if it denies a clear goal. Not deliberate = carry on with the game.

Why change it to 'if the hand is in an unnatural position'?! I'd say someone trying to defend with their hands behind their back is about as unnatural as it gets.

Handballs. Just get rid of them unless it actually is a deliberate handball (e.g. STaylor v Villa, Suarez v Ghana). Hate that a team can blow a game from a ball pinging about and hitting an outstretched arm. E.g. that incident ManU v Liverpool, by modern definition everyone seems to think that is one, I'd want it for us, but like f*** should it be.

I just don't get why the FA have to fuck about with simple rules. Deliberate handball = freekick, and harsher punishment if it denies a clear goal. Not deliberate = carry on with the game.

Why change it to 'if the hand is in an unnatural position'?! I'd say someone trying to defend with their hands behind their back is about as unnatural as it gets.

The only handball that is an offence is a deliberate one, the media and some fans seem to forget that little fact.

The ‘unnatural position’ stuff is supposed to be guidance to help referees determine if it was a deliberate act or not. There are so many ‘handballs’ that everyone fall over themselves about that are just never intentional, the Man U-Liverpool one an example.

Clattenburg did an interview a while back that I thought was good. The way he determined what was deliberate handball and what wasn’t was how the ball moved. If you deliberately try to handle the ball, you arm will be stiff and will change the direction of the ball. If it is accidental then the ball will hit your arm and go through it as your arm will be relaxed and therefore without altering the course of the ball much.

The only handball that is an offence is a deliberate one, the media and some fans seem to forget that little fact.

The ‘unnatural position’ stuff is supposed to be guidance to help referees determine if it was a deliberate act or not. There are so many ‘handballs’ that everyone fall over themselves about that are just never intentional, the Man U-Liverpool one an example.

Clattenburg did an interview a while back that I thought was good. The way he determined what was deliberate handball and what wasn’t was how the ball moved. If you deliberately try to handle the ball, you arm will be stiff and will change the direction of the ball. If it is accidental then the ball will hit your arm and go through it as your arm will be relaxed and therefore without altering the course of the ball much.

Sounds great but not really true is it

It doesn't help that the definition of 'accidental' seems to change depending on whether it's in or out of the penalty area. Refs seem all too happy to pull the game up for a handball that's clearly accidental because it's just on the halfway line so who gives a shit, then we're supposed to be surprised that people want the same ones given in the box too?

It's easy to disguise a deliberate handball like. You can easily leave an arm out and make it look like it's hit by accident. I'd sooner go the other way. If it hits your hand it's handball unless it's obvious the forward is aiming for the hand.

If it's stopping a goal or a chance, give it whether it was intentional or not. The vast majority of fouls in the box aren't exactly deliberate fouls. Make handballs the same thing.