Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Players walking away from referees while they're trying to talk to them. Then making a great show of reluctance when they're called back.

Childish, rude and it doesn't happen in other sports. I don't know why it hasn't been clamped down on, when players get a yellow card just for removing their shirts after a goal.

People getting all worked up about the nature of some of the chants that are heard at SJP et al.

e.g "Your support is f***ing s***," "Who are ya?" They may not be particularly clever or factualy correct but it's all part of the banter. Certainly better than hearing f*** all.

Having said that, I watched the Fulham v Villa game on Sunday and the Villa fans opened up with 'your support is f***ing s***' after literally 30 seconds of the game. Give the fuckers a chance to get sat down eh.

Don't know where you've dreamt that up from.

My most sincere apologies you pedantic arsehole - It was Blackburn versus Villa and therefore the Villa fans were singing at the Blackburn fans.

Guest Chubby Jason

Players walking away from referees while they're trying to talk to them. Then making a great show of reluctance when they're called back.

Childish, rude and it doesn't happen in other sports. I don't know why it hasn't been clamped down on, when players get a yellow card just for removing their shirts after a goal.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to watching the Ashes to see players play a sport with 100% commitment without behaving like pathetic children having their toys taken away from them.

Very good point on it. Considering they're so petty in clamping down on 'over-zealous' celebrations, you'd think they'd clamp down on other stuff that's considered petty, that would actually have a positive effect on the game. The powers that be, the world over in football, are a joke.

People getting all worked up about the nature of some of the chants that are heard at SJP et al.

e.g "Your support is f***ing s***," "Who are ya?" They may not be particularly clever or factualy correct but it's all part of the banter. Certainly better than hearing f*** all.

Having said that, I watched the Fulham v Villa game on Sunday and the Villa fans opened up with 'your support is f***ing s***' after literally 30 seconds of the game. Give the fuckers a chance to get sat down eh.

My most sincere apologies you pedantic arsehole - It was Blackburn versus Villa and therefore the Villa fans were singing at the Blackburn fans.

Someone's got to keep you right, man. Next you'll be telling us that CMs need to be left-footed.

Someone's got to keep you right, man. Next you'll be telling us that CMs need to be left-footed.

Next you'll be telling us that Gerrard's best position is on the left of a midfield 3

Agreed. VDV got his for pointing on Saturday.

Agreed. VDV got his for pointing on Saturday.

Being pedantic but didn't VdV have a few (minor) altercations before getting his yellow? A few nothing fouls?

And completely agree with Cronky; it's one of the lunacies of the game that you can get a yellow card for celebrating a goal, an emotion of joy, and you don't get anything for being a complete childish twat. Officials need to desperately clamp down on that sort of behaviour. When players start getting severely punished for acts of petulance like that, maybe they'll show the referees a bit more respect?

The terminology used within BBC football's 'Gossip Column'.

For e.g. today sees a story from 'footylatest.com', which says "Liverpool are preparing a bid for Colombia striker Teofilo Gutierrez and are willing to pay £6m for the 25-year-old, who plays for Trabzonspor."

I just don't understand what 'preparing a bid' means. Years of playing football manager have told me that it's easy putting a bid in for a player.

I can't help imagining that 'preparing a bid' means board members up til all hours with money counters getting £6m cash ready. I always thought it'd be easy as:

Ring 118 and get Trabzonspor's fax number. Send them a fax "Hi, it's Liverpool. £6m for Gutierrez, Y/N? Fax back"

Now that doesn't take much preparing.

Defenders and keepers always raising their hands whenever there's a through ball.

That annoys me on FIFA aswell.

My defenders always do it, which makes me think the offside is going to called.

Also known as....Hands up if you desperately hope that they are offside so that you haven't totally bolloxed up this play.

Players not applauding the away support.

This really winds me up, mainly because when they do it, I'm already pissed off with something about the match. I understand that they may be annoyed and frustrated with their own and the teams performance and just want to disappear but however bad the atmosphere is, the fans will have given up a full day and multiple days pay to attend.

And in a kind of related note, and probably a pet hate of the players, thousands leaving as the injury time board is shown. In tight games, these last few minutes are vital (Wigan for example). Sometimes come full time, SJP feels like a very empty place.

Whatever the score, the 85 minute brigade have significantly increased in numbers over the last ten years.

Also I cannot stand naff trademark celebrations. Cahill's flagpole punching is particularly embarassing (you're not a boxer you tit!), Robbie Keane's summersault and shooting hands was also tiresome.

Whatever the score, the 85 minute brigade have significantly increased in numbers over the last ten years.

Also I cannot stand naff trademark celebrations. Cahill's flagpole punching is particularly embarassing (you're not a boxer you tit!), Robbie Keane's summersault and shooting hands was also tiresome.

:nope:

Nowt wrong with trademark celebrations, they're fun.