Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Colin Murray pronouncing Birmingham as Birming-Ham. Did it on 5live all afternoon too.

The northern Irish bird on SSN pronounces Sunderland as Sun-Derr-Land. So annoying.

All Irish people over emphasise the -land. Everyone should know its pronounced Sunlun.

Colin Murray pronouncing Birmingham as Birming-Ham.  Did it on 5live all afternoon too.

Alan Curbishley, who spent a sufficiently decent chunk of his playing career here to realise it isn't pronounced that way, does that horrible cockney thing of saying Birminum.

And if we're on the subject of mispronunciations, I fucking hate southerners who pronounce Newcastle in the way Geordies do.

It just is not right.

Oh, and Doug Ellis always used to say "Preeeemier League".

Colin Murray pronouncing Birmingham as Birming-Ham.  Did it on 5live all afternoon too.

Alan Curbishley, who spent a sufficiently decent chunk of his playing career here to realise it isn't pronounced that way, does that horrible cockney thing of saying Birminum.

And if we're on the subject of mispronunciations, I fucking hate southerners who pronounce Newcastle in the way Geordies do.

It just is not right.

Oh, and Doug Ellis always used to say "Preeeemier League".

Aye remember that. One of my main gripes about watching snidey American streams.

Arguments which are almost identical to that which they are opposing. It's done on this forum so much it's insane.

Mainly "Player X is terrible, we should play Player Y instead - he hasn't been given a chance..."

Guest NewBoyPeetah

Sorry guys but "tekkers", Soccer AM at a guess?

It started on Wayne Ronney's street striker i think but soccer am do use it.

Just saw this article too on NBCSports...

Boys In The Snood: Big, stupid soccer controversy in England

Here’s another good example of why soccer will never truly take root in the U.S. The big controversy in England right now is over the snood — a trendy circular scarf worn by soccer players to ward off the cold. And of course Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is anti-snood, having just banned his players from wearing them. But the true controversy is not over the garment itself, but the reaction to it.

Ferguson:

“They’re for powder puffs. Real men don’t wear things like that. Get ‘em off.”

Bud Grant approves.

The Snood has become increasingly popular in British football during the cold snap, especially with foreign players.

Snood wearers include Man City’s Carlos Tevez, Yaya Toure and Mario Balotelli.

Arsenal’s Samir Nasri and Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina are also fans.

OK, no snoods, because they’re not manly. Yet this is OK?

Ex-Leeds United hardman Norman Hunter, 67: “We used to rub Algipan oil all over. That kept us warm.”

People complaining about players wearing gloves, snoods etc.

Get a f***ing grip, we're not living in the 1800s any more.

Eh? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I dunno man, I got annoyed.

It's generally the same type of people that like to see reckless tackles and getting "stuck in" rather than good football, it's so backwards. :dowie:

The 'in this day and age' argument only applies in this instance if either:

1. UK winter temperatures are now much colder than they were in the past.

2. Gloves and scarves are a revolutionary new idea.

Considering:

1. They're not.

2. They're not.

I'm not entirely sure how it applies. :lol:

It appears players are simply less inclined to brave the cold than they have been in the past. You could pretty reasonably say players originally from warm/hot climates are not used to it, but then they've been playing over here for years now.