Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

The current format is really unfair on smaller teams.

Look at Plzen, they won their domestic league last year only to be seeded 4th and be drawn in a group with Barcelona and AC Milan.  What's the actual point?

There is no entertainment value in these group stages, just a case of the big teams going through the motions.  I know it's a cliche, but in a 2 legged knockout tie anyone can beat anyone.  It would be so much fairer for everyone involved and would make the tournament so much more interesting.

At least that group is actual a group of Champions unlike say Bayern Munich, Napoli, Manchester City & Villarreal.

Yeah it's interesting that group has been tagged as the "group of death" and hasn't actually got any Champions in it. The whole UEFA competitions business needs ripping up and starting again if you ask me.

Champions league should be Champions and a few 2nd places only anyway IMO. Don't have a problem with the format personally and in the early days (I may be being nostalgic) it seemed OK plus it guarantees some of the smaller teams a decent wedge from attendances etc.

Massively reduce the prize money too for the CL too. The prize is the prestige of playing in the tournament not fucking oodles of money, teams wouldn't take it any less seriously and if they did, fuck them, someone else would soon take their place.

This would go a little way to making some leagues a bit more competitive too. There is loads of grassroots & development stuff where the money could be better used.

Then the UEFA cup, as it should be called, should be just a huge 2 legged knock out tournament, although there would probably need to be some pre-seeding to whittle away a few teams (bottom 10 coefficients or something).

Champions league should be Champions and a few 2nd places only anyway IMO. Don't have a problem with the format personally and in the early days (I may be being nostalgic) it seemed OK plus it guarantees some of the smaller teams a decent wedge from attendances etc.

Massively reduce the prize money too for the CL too. The prize is the prestige of playing in the tournament not f***ing oodles of money, teams wouldn't take it any less seriously and if they did, f*** them, someone else would soon take their place.

This would go a little way to making some leagues a bit more competitive too. There is loads of grassroots & development stuff where the money could be better used.

Then the UEFA cup, as it should be called, should be just a huge 2 legged knock out tournament, although there would probably need to be some pre-seeding to whittle away a few teams (bottom 10 coefficients or something).

i dont mind non champions being in it. i remember times when the last few in the uefa cup were better than the last few in the european cup. logistically it probably wouldn't be possible to say, every european leagues top 4 all in a hat but a couple of preliminaries to get the numbers right would be ok.

On a similar note, there should be one tennis grand slam tournament that is unseeded, would be class

definitly. also the fa cup couldn't have every club coming in at the same time but all the league clubs and conference could.

I don't mind the current set up of the Champions League at all. The competition is currently somewhat tedious because of the massive gap the English teams, Spanish teams, Milan, and Munich have formed on the rest of Europe. Removing some of these teams from the competition would only devalue it, imo. Reseeding the FA cup would not change the vast distortion in quality and finanaces at the top levl of English football, either.

The whole "there's no need for that" / "well that's just the modern game" bollocks from co-commentators whenever a player expressess something towards the referee (Evra claiming Downing dived, and then signaling for a card. He had a point.)

As if every player in the 70/80s was an absolute gentleman.

People talking about stuff they know nothing about, have regular 'conversations' with people at work about Newcastle and they know fuck all but are happy to pretend they are experts. Comments like "you only signed 2 players in the summer", "Colocinni? he's a clown" and "you won't do anything with forwards like Leon Best".

To be fair, for the last one it could still go either way but you can only go on current form imo and that's something like 9 goals in 15 (?) premier league games not that they would know that anyway and just assume he has a hattrick against West Ham last season.

I wouldn't have the nerve to talk about the players in their sides like I know more than them (tbf I probably do, it's scary how little some of these know, a Spurs fan asked me if Pav was still there the other week).

As expected, I was told my numerous people today (not just Spurs fans) how Newcastle 'were lucky' yesterday despite us having more possession, shots, crosses into the box and territorial possession.

Boils my piss that.

When I listen to podcasts, I always want them to talk about Newcastle then immediately regret wanting it when they start because it's always nonsense.

I don't even like hearing Newcastle fans talk about Newcastle tbh. I silently seethed in the pub yesterday listening to some bloke slag off Gutierrez. Thankfully my inner footballing circle at work are generally very knowledgeable chaps.

When I listen to podcasts, I always want them to talk about Newcastle then immediately regret wanting it when they start because it's always nonsense.

I don't even like hearing Newcastle fans talk about Newcastle tbh. I silently seethed in the pub yesterday listening to some bloke slag off Gutierrez. Thankfully my inner footballing circle at work are generally very knowledgeable chaps.

Agree with all of that.

Not been in this thread before so quite probably my complaint has already been aired.

I hate biased commentators more than anything.

Everton away last season was diabolical. Don't know who the pricks were, rarely do, but they were shit.

Guest bimpy474

Watching the game with my 8 year old, and the amount of gobbing that goes on in that and all the games is just pathetic.

He says why do they do it, i just say because there thick idiots, i never ever spat or needed to in a game, every player just spits for no apparent reason, its like its just an accepted thing in football now, boils my piss like  :rant:

The standardisation of the style of the goalposts/nets.

I used to like each ground/pitch haviing their identifyable set of goals/nets.

Having everyone the same is very boring and clinical.

Are you football writer Jonathan Wilson?

Totally agree btw.

got to agree. i really like it when we went for the pulled back type of nets but i miss the quirkiness of west hams nets which were barely deep enough for the ball to cross the line before hitting them or hampdens very square goal posts.