Bellamy on Saturday

Benwell Lad

its funny all those that think he gave 100%..what short memories you have...were you the ones down at highbury that lovely afternoon when he refused to play.  Souness may be a tit and all you lot can go on blaming souness for ever as he is an easy target but that little ugly bastad REFUSED to play for the club.  Refused means he did not give 100% or care that much.  He then left slagging the club off......

but then again lets all just blame souness..he was a crap manager and nufc did bad so lets blame him for bellamy being an idiot and lets also blame him for robert believing he was the best winger in the world too while we are at it. in fact lets just through the middle east crisis and the problem in Iraq and Iran on him too

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the little fcuk

Wow, there is a whole tanker full of bollocks in that post.

funny cos i agree with 100% of that!

Funny indeed to agreed 100% with such exaggerated nonsense (a hallmark of any rant regarding Bellamy it seems).

Whether he refused to play or not is entirely down to who you choose to believe. Bellamy continued to voice that despite protesting playing out wide, he had never and would never refuse to play in any position. I'm not even sure Souness himself ever said that Bellamy had flatly refused to play, but if he did, forgive me for remaining suspicious. As to the 100% thing, every manager that he had worked with prior to Souness (or post in the case of Hughes/O'Neill, no idea about Rafa) said that his commitment to training and playing was second to none, and that despite a pushy belief in himself driving them and others to distraction, every single one of them would have him in their team and work with him again. He was the same even as a kid according to my uncle.

So no, he is clearly no angel (he may even be a complete arse) an but I don't agree that he was the cancer that Souness needed to cut out. Nor do I agree that we were better off as a club losing him in the manner we did, a manner that was all too predictable as soon as Souness laid his first blow soon after he arrived by questioning publicly whether Bellamy was even a proper striker.

I do believe he was and still is a very good player who helped push the club closer to tasting success again for a short period, and that what's done is done.

I won't boo or bait him for reacting to Souness, a man who it could be could argued was in the end a f*** sight more damaging to NUFC.

ok fair enough maybe i shouldnt have said 100% but i think that a lot of people tend to think he was completely innocent when he was a s*** before souness even came. What about the rooney bid incident, even robson turned round to bellamy and said he was fed up of incident after incident. i think the reason he is more handleable (if thats a word) now is that he got a reality check when he left and has had to pull his finger out of his arse.

I don't know anybody who thinks that, tbh.

Nope, nor do many of us even want him back desparately, just remember the good times, how he drove the team forward on the pitch, and are heartely sickened by those who readily accept the managers (who had a history of clashing with top players that I assumed dared to question his shit decisions) assertion that his departure was inevitable and good for the club. Something those of us not brandishing pitch forks and seemingly all of his other employers would disagree with.

I think Robert was passed his peak and I agree him and Bellamy perhaps didn't get their act together. I also think this was down to Souness's failings in the man-management department though. Robert's time since he left the club suggests he was a spent force/no longer motivated (was he ever? ;) ).

I just think if Souness was a clever manager, which he clearly isn't, he could have used those two to his advantage for his first season. Then if he wanted rid, he could have done so in the summer (possibly after winning the Uefa). That way he would have got fees more like what both were worth instead of giving them away. Which is what he did in terms of their relative worth. For Souness it was a personal battle of egos. One which he won, at a big cost to the club imo.

First paragraph is tosh.

Second paragraph sounds like an echo from ages ago...........

HTL not saying a lot, but just letting everyone know who does and doesn't get his stamp of approval. The sanctimonious tit  :lol:

Insults again.  What a surprise.  :rolleyes:

I remember the insults when I (and a few others) posted almost exactly what you've just posted in that second paragraph, such is the power of propaganda and small minds. (Just returning the insult there, mate. Note the smiley thing, so it's not really an insult now) :lol:

At ease soldier. You, trying to take the moral high ground :lol: If we're going over old ground I guess you've forgotten the time you offered me outside, as it were, on the old board. :lol: You were laughed at then too. Have a nice weekend by the way.

What are you on about now, Alex? What's all this "soldier" stuff. I've never been a soldier, so it looks like as usual you're looking for support at a time you're posting a load of shite.

Basically, I'm surprised history has frowned on him to such an extent. He was one of the few players who tried to stand up against Souness (which was foolish, admitedly) while others (Shearer included) smarmed into his good books. Souness is a cunt who ruined this club and deserved to be kicked off the fucking training ground by the players.

its funny all those that think he gave 100%..what short memories you have...were you the ones down at highbury that lovely afternoon when he refused to play.  Souness may be a tit and all you lot can go on blaming souness for ever as he is an easy target but that little ugly bastad REFUSED to play for the club.  Refused means he did not give 100% or care that much.  He then left slagging the club off......

but then again lets all just blame souness..he was a crap manager and nufc did bad so lets blame him for bellamy being an idiot and lets also blame him for robert believing he was the best winger in the world too while we are at it. in fact lets just through the middle east crisis and the problem in Iraq and Iran on him too

Funny indeed to agreed 100% with such exaggerated nonsense (a hallmark of any rant regarding Bellamy it seems).

Whether he refused to play or not is entirely down to who you choose to believe. Bellamy continued to voice that despite protesting playing out wide, he had never and would never refuse to play in any position. I'm not even sure Souness himself ever said that Bellamy had flatly refused to play, but if he did, forgive me for remaining suspicious. As to the 100% thing, every manager that he had worked with prior to Souness (or post in the case of Hughes/O'Neill, no idea about Rafa) said that his commitment to training and playing was second to none, and that despite a pushy belief in himself driving them and others to distraction, every single one of them would have him in their team and work with him again. He was the same even as a kid according to my uncle.

So no, he is clearly no angel (he may even be a complete arse) an but I don't agree that he was the cancer that Souness needed to cut out. Nor do I agree that we were better off as a club losing him in the manner we did, a manner that was all too predictable as soon as Souness laid his first blow soon after he arrived by questioning publicly whether Bellamy was even a proper striker.

I do believe he was and still is a very good player who helped push the club closer to tasting success again for a short period, and that what's done is done.

I won't boo or bait him for reacting to Souness, a man who it could be could argued was in the end a f*** sight more damaging to NUFC.

ok fair enough maybe i shouldnt have said 100% but i think that a lot of people tend to think he was completely innocent when he was a s*** before souness even came. What about the rooney bid incident, even robson turned round to bellamy and said he was fed up of incident after incident. i think the reason he is more handleable (if thats a word) now is that he got a reality check when he left and has had to pull his finger out of his arse.

Nope, nor do many of us even want him back desparately, just remember the good times, how he drove the team forward on the pitch, and are heartely sickened by those who readily accept the managers (who had a history of clashing with top players that I assumed dared to question his s*** decisions) assertion that his departure was inevitable and good for the club. Something those of us not brandishing pitch forks and seemingly all of his other employers would disagree with.

Well a lot of people tend to act like hes innocent. I dont even like Souness and as for rememberin the good times he was my favourite player at the time but it doesnt take away the issue that he was always in trouble and coursed so much controversy when at the club.

and as for what someone said above, you wont see me moaning about us being a mid table club or will you have ever seen it, but if one person whether they are that good or not is a constant disruption then the club can do without them, and just because i think he was right to go doesnt mean i think that we should be getting rid of our best players. I didnt want him to go, but he should have gone!

Basically, I'm surprised history has frowned on him to such an extent. He was one of the few players who tried to stand up against Souness (which was foolish, admitedly) while others (Shearer included) smarmed into his good books. Souness is a c*** who ruined this club and deserved to be kicked off the f****** training ground by the players.

Exactly.

Basically, I'm surprised history has frowned on him to such an extent. He was one of the few players who tried to stand up against Souness (which was foolish, admitedly) while others (Shearer included) smarmed into his good books. Souness is a c*** who ruined this club and deserved to be kicked off the f****** training ground by the players.

as much as he was a cunt or whatever you want to call him he was still appointed as manager so you have to have a level of respect for your manager if you have your own interests in playing for the team at heart.

Nope, nor do many of us even want him back desparately, just remember the good times, how he drove the team forward on the pitch, and are heartely sickened by those who readily accept the managers (who had a history of clashing with top players that I assumed dared to question his s*** decisions) assertion that his departure was inevitable and good for the club. Something those of us not brandishing pitch forks and seemingly all of his other employers would disagree with.

Well a lot of people tend to act like hes innocent. I dont even like Souness and as for rememberin the good times he was my favourite player at the time but it doesnt take away the issue that he was always in trouble and coursed so much controversy when at the club.

and as for what someone said above, you wont see me moaning about us being a mid table club or will you have ever seen it, but if one person whether they are that good or not is a constant disruption then the club can do without them, and just because i think he was right to go doesnt mean i think that we should be getting rid of our best players. I didnt want him to go, but he should have gone!

No, they don't. Nobody does.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. I'm still not sure anyone here is acting like he was wholly innocent though. Even Craig ('Napoleon complex'?) Bellamy himself admits he made mistakes.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. I'm still not sure anyone here is acting like he was wholly innocent though. Even Bellamy himself admits he made mistakes.

ok maybe not necessarily acting like he was innocent, but certainly forgave him for everything he did. I would be inclined to say that thats because he was a good player for us, but at the same time Kieron Dyer is hated by some so there is an element of favouritism in it.

Craig did so much for Toon

Feb 9 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Geordie coach John Carver hopes that Newcastle United fans will remember the good side of Craig Bellamy when he returns to St James' Park in Liverpool colours tomorrow.

Carver knows all about receptions reserved for ex-players on Tyneside and, while he expects Bellamy to get the usual hot reception from the Toon Army, the former assistant to Sir Bobby Robson feels that many fans won't forget his explosive four years in a black-and-white shirt.

Indeed in years gone by the likes of Les Ferdinand, John Beresford and Steve Watson have endured a great round of applause - quickly followed by pantomime booing every time they get the ball afterwards, and Carver hopes it stays good natured.

He told the Chronicle: "I think he made a positive impact to the club during mine and Sir Bobby Robson's time in the dugout.

"Craig certainly made one or two enemies and he could be very temperamental but he also had a good side too.

"He did so much work in the community going to hospitals to see terminally ill children and I think he loved the area, the Geordie people and Newcastle United.

"He appreciated that he was at a big club after being at Norwich and Coventry.

"And when you look back, people forget how much of a genuine chance we had of winning the Premiership with Craig and Alan Shearer in our attack.

"Craig hurt his knee at Sunderland and it did affect us after that back in 2002."

Bellamy has netted eight goals since joining Liverpool last summer for £6m and Carver believes he is capable of adding to that tally if selected tomorrow.

He added: "I know that he will be looking forward to coming back to St James' Park and, if selected, he is a real threat.

"The fact that Liverpool, who are one of the best clubs in the world, wanted him so much shows what a good player he still is.

"I don't think the money they paid for him represents his true value, to be honest."

We could have won title if he stayed fit

Feb 9 2007

John Carver says that he still contemplates what might have been had Craig Bellamy not picked up a knee injury during the 2001/02 campaign.

In the Welshman's first season at St James' Park, United gate-crashed the Premiership title race after Sir Bobby Robson went out and snapped up Bellers from Coventry for £6m.

United soared to the top of the table before Christmas and stayed in the championship race until March, but by that time Bellamy's injury had already occurred in the crunch game at the Stadium of Light, which United won 1-0.

That meant Robson only got 19 more minutes out of Bellamy in the remainder of the season and the challenge fizzled out, although third place was a superb consolation as United finished in their highest position for five years.

Carver believes United could have won the title had Bellamy stayed fit.

He told the Chronicle: "We played our chances down publicly at the time.

"But after we'd won 3-1 at Highbury to go top of the table, you just begin to wonder if you can achieve that little bit more.

"In the end we finished third but there was a time when we fancied our chances.

"That season Alan and Craig just complemented each other so well.

"Alan has scored goals all the way through his career but had a few purple patches together with Craig.

"Alan was the target man and Bellers' movement accompanied that so well.

"It was just a shame that season when he hurt his knee at Sunderland it didn't last. We won't know what we could have achieved that year if he hadn't got injured."

But although the title dream had faded in disappointing circumstances the feel-good factor was back on Tyneside for the first time since the Keegan managerial era of the mid-1990s.

Soon after Toon fans had accepted the title wasn't coming north, the realisation that Champions League football was back at St James' Park was a sweet consolation prize.

Bellamy took time to adjust to the big European stage and, after an unsavoury head-butting incident in Ukraine against Dinamo Kiev, he proved to be the hero later in the first group phase by netting a double in Rotterdam, the second of which came deep into stoppage time and with United poised for a Champions League knockout.

Carver recalled an incident-packed game which United won 3-2.

He told me: "You talk about greatest moments in your life or your career.

"And for me one of them came in the dug-out against Feyenoord when Craig scored in the dying moments.

"It was a great feeling of relief and emotion and joy for the fans.

"All night we had been keeping in touch with the other group game in Kiev against Juventus and we knew what we had to do.

"Everyone had been playing well and to get into the second phase was a great achievement."

Bellers was worth grief come matchdays

Feb 9 2007

John Carver has admitted that Graeme Souness may have acted too soon when he decided to make an example of Craig Bellamy.

The Welsh star makes his first return to Newcastle since leaving under a cloud when he runs out for Liverpool tomorrow two years after a very public fall-out with hard-man Souness.

The ex-Toon coach, who helped the club to two top-four finishes as assistant to Sir Bobby Robson, says that Bellamy's hot streak in Newcastle also coincided with arguably the most exciting period of the decade.

And even though Souey was keen to stamp his authority on unruly players, he may have made a mistake in letting Bellamy go on loan to Celtic before a move to Blackburn.

He told the Chronicle: "They were exciting times when Craig was here and they were only three or four seasons ago too.

"I think it is amazing when other managers come in to try to do things differently sometimes.

"For me Graeme Souness came in and wanted to come across as a disciplinarian and he used Craig as an example to that.

"His face simply didn't fit under the Souness era.

"Of course he could be a disruptive character, we know that.

"But sometimes you have to manage with disruptive characters and work with them during the week, because come 3pm on a matchday he was worth his weight in gold."

Bellamy isn't the first to fall foul of Souness with Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Andy Todd, David Dunn and Garry Flitcroft all on the long list of players to see their careers take U-turns after disputes.

Souness clashed on the training field with Bellamy before dropping him for a game at Highbury.

That led Bellamy to slate Souness on live TV before he headed to Celtic.

Carver, who once had a chair thrown at him by Bellamy at Newcastle Airport after a row over car parking, says the Welshman's rants are simply part of his make-up.

He added: "I can't comment on anything that happened after I had left the club, as it would be unfair. But what I can talk about is the time I was there and I had did have a few disputes with him.

"Yet I don't hold a grudge. I was at his wedding in the summer too, so we are still good friends.

"In life sometimes you have to be grown-up and that's what we were.

"I had respect for him as a player because we worked a lot together on his game on the training field and trust me, we used to have to drag him off the training field, he loved the game that much. He always wanted to improve."

Bellamy's departure eventually resulted in him ending up at Anfield, the former home of Michael Owen.

And in a striking swapping routine, Owen has ended up at St James' Park.

Yet Carver believes there is little to choose between the two players.

He continued: "At one point during my Newcastle days I actually went on record to say that Bellers was just as good as Michael Owen, if not better in some respects.

"It wasn't a direct comparison because we know what Owen can do.

"But I meant in terms of all-round contribution in 90 minutes, Craig can offer you a bit more, although I don't dispute that Michael will get you more goals."

I know that people sometimes can't be arsed clicking links, so here are the 3 Carver stories, propaganda'd by yours truly. :angel:

None of that can be true.

Bellamy is crap, he never did much on the pitch, proven by his goals record being crap and scoring goals was his only job. He was a cancer in the club and we're better off without him.

If you don't believe me just ask ..... err loads of people on this forum.

Bellamy is crap, he never did much on the pitch, proven by his goals record being crap and scoring goals was his only job. He was a cancer in the club and we're better off without him.

And Souness - an impeccable source of footballing wisdom - said as much too.

Interesting to note that a bloke who was directly involved in Bellamy's line of fire on more than one occasion speaks so highly of him, though, eh? Even went to his wedding in the summer.

Someone who would actually know the goings-on inside of the club far better than any of us on here... and somebody who probably knows more about top-flight coaching than most, as well. Madness.

Interesting to note that a bloke who was directly involved in Bellamy's line of fire on more than one occasion speaks so highly of him, though, eh? Even went to his wedding in the summer.

Someone who would actually know the goings-on inside of the club far better than any of us on here... and somebody who probably knows more about top-flight coaching than most, as well. Madness.

Are you talking about someone else now.

You reckon the majority of this forum know more about coaching in the Premiership than John Carver?

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. I'm still not sure anyone here is acting like he was wholly innocent though. Even Bellamy himself admits he made mistakes.

ok maybe not necessarily acting like he was innocent, but certainly forgave him for everything he did. I would be inclined to say that thats because he was a good player for us, but at the same time Kieron Dyer is hated by some so there is an element of favouritism in it.

I don't think you can generalise like that. I just want us to do well on the pitch, if we have problem characters who give us another dimension then I want the manager to deal with them in a sensible manner, for the benifit of the team. That includes Dyer, at times when his itime on the pitch is limited due to injury then I can understand people having a go considering the wages we pay for him, but I think most things can be forgotten when he is out there playing and helping us win games.

Anyhoo, as the Janitor say's there are some cracking interviews with Carver backing up most of what I have said. He is a pain in the arse, but was worth it.

"The fact that Liverpool, who are one of the best clubs in the world, wanted him so much shows what a good player he still is."

"I don't think the money they paid for him represents his true value, to be honest." - Makes the amount we got for him look even more ridiculous.

"He did so much work in the community going to hospitals to see terminally ill children and I think he loved the area, the Geordie people and Newcastle United.

"I had respect for him as a player because we worked a lot together on his game on the training field and trust me, we used to have to drag him off the training field, he loved the game that much. He always wanted to improve." 

"I think it is amazing when other managers come in to try to do things differently sometimes.

"For me Graeme Souness came in and wanted to come across as a disciplinarian and he used Craig as an example to that.

"But sometimes you have to manage with disruptive characters and work with them during the week, because come 3pm on a matchday he was worth his weight in gold."

You reckon the majority of this forum know more about coaching in the Premiership than John Carver?

I think my 5 year old knows as much about coaching as John "Nodding Dog" Carver.

Or Carver trying to paint the main casualty of Souness as a saint in order to have a pop at the bloke who cost him his job. I'd take it with as much salt as an interview with Souness himself tbh.

I was waiting for you or Gemmill to arrive with that counter-argument, in fairness you two are the only ones with enough brain to be able to realise it and then raise it. Could well be the case, although I was hoping to get away with it for longer than I did... :tickedoff:

I was waiting for you or Gemmill to arrive with that counter-argument, in fairness you two are the only ones with enough brain to be able to realise it and then raise it. Could well be the case, although I was hoping to get away with it for longer than I did... :tickedoff:

All I think is, there are two sides to this. And I could see Carver using this as a way of getting at Souness. Re: Bellamy, I appreciate what a good player he was for us tbh and I think Souness was far more to blame with what happened, as I think I've already outlined. Maybe I am a sad b****** for wanting to see him get injured and if he did I probably would feel bad. The sentiment is a bit out of character for me to tell the truth. I think some of the adulation he gets is a bit OTT though and I think that stems from him going head to head with Souness (who I really do hate for the record) seen as he is such a reveiled figure amongst Toon fans (and rightly so).

I don't think you can generalise like that. I just want us to do well on the pitch, if we have problem characters who give us another dimension then I want the manager to deal with them in a sensible manner, for the benifit of the team. That includes Dyer, at times when his itime on the pitch is limited due to injury then I can understand people having a go considering the wages we pay for him, but I think most things can be forgotten when he is out there playing and helping us win games.

Anyhoo, as the Janitor say's there are some cracking interviews with Carver backing up most of what I have said. He is a pain in the arse, but was worth it.

"The fact that Liverpool, who are one of the best clubs in the world, wanted him so much shows what a good player he still is."

"I don't think the money they paid for him represents his true value, to be honest." - Makes the amount we got for him look even more ridiculous.

i cant really argue with what you say there, i think its safe (i hope) to say that bellamy certainly didnt help himself. as i said earlier tho, i didnt want him to go, but i think he had to go.