Bellamy on Saturday

Benwell Lad

Bellamy was on Talksport a couple of months ago, talking to that Welsh presenter. A couple of questions were put to him and one was from a Newcastle fan asking when he was coming back. He laughed a bit, said all the usual stuff about having good times. Then he said that without bringing up the obvious issues, it was actually 'people higher up' he was most upset with. Later in the interview he went on to slate Chairmen who 'have to have something to say in the papers every week.' It offers nothing to this debate, but I found it a really interesting interview.

Strange thing that despite Bellamy allegedly causing trouble everywhere very few people have anything but good to say about him. Managers and players at his clubs and international team all seem to rate him.

When he left Newcastle only one player had anything bad to say, the rest all said what a great team player he was.

Other than that it seems like Souness, Terry MacDermott (who had never met him) and the chairman's son were the only ones with an axe to grind.

A twat off the field maybe, but highly rated by almost everyone he's ever dealt with professionally it seems.

I think there were a few arrogance issues at Norwich and Coventry but nothing like has been alleged when he was here. I've don't doubt he is no angel, but that could be said of a lot of players.

Bellamy gets abuse everywhere he goes. He will thrive on it. I won't be booing him. I appreciate what a brilliant player he was while he was here. He's never slagged the fans of or anything. Dyer has been been forgiven for most of Tyneside for the way he pissed Sir Bobby about. Who did Bellamy piss about? Souness. At the end of the day Bellamy done more for us in his time here than Dyer has done and Dyer is still at the club. Not looking to turn this into a Bellamy v Dyer debate like but i don't see why Bellamy should be hated by everyone. He's gonna get the abuse anyway though (wrongly imo).

aye. Its quite amazing how many people took the Scottish f***pigs side in this, and despite it being crystal clear now that he wasn't acting in the best interests of the club, still do.

Bellamy has never slagged off NUFC's supporters, or his team mates. Only Souness, McDermott [both with justification] and obviously fell out with Shearer who should not have been in this triangle anyway without being a mediator if at all, as captain.

If he signed for NUFC again, he would receive a huge welcome back.

Bellamy remembers fondly taking goals to Newcastle

George Caulkin

Where Craig Bellamy travels, jeers, goals and mayhem have a habit of following, but even for a player who takes sustenance from controversy, St James’ Park should make for a ferocious venue today. The Wales forward returns to Tyneside for the first time since condemning Graeme Souness as a “liar” on television, although the opprobrium he generates will be tinged with grudging admiration.

Bellamy’s reputation as a bolshy irritant may be unparalleled, but his worth to the Newcastle United team managed by Sir Bobby Robson was also indisputable. “If Craig Bellamy wasn’t such a gifted footballer you would turn your back on him,” Robson wrote in his autobiography, “because he’s a nightmare of a boy.” And: “He’s a spiky little kid, very ambitious. He wants the best and he wants to win.”

Robson described the forward as “an unusual and volatile character”, but while Bellamy’s four years at Newcastle were peppered with disharmony, his commitment brought redemption. That cycle ended after a venomous confrontation with Souness in January 2005 — “he’s gone behind my back in front of my face,” the player said memor-ably — when Bellamy was dispatched on loan to Celtic.

Since then, he has moved to Blackburn Rovers for £5 million and, last summer, to Liverpool for £6 million, scotching Souness’s notion that he would never again represent an English club with comparable standing to Newcastle. His time at Anfield has been mixed, scoring seven goals in 30 appearances, but this is a fixture he is relishing.

“I had some really good years there and really enjoyed my football,” he said yesterday. “I started off playing for Sir Bobby Robson in what was a really good team and during my time we finished third, fourth and fifth. I learnt a lot about myself when I was a Newcastle player. I got involved in things outside of football, but I was lucky because the fans were always with me.

“They were so supportive of me and I have a lot of respect for them for that. Even through my injury problems I enjoyed it there. It’s a special place. I’m not their player any more and so I’ll probably get a little bit of stick, but I can accept that. I get stick from a lot of fans and from a lot of people who don’t know me, but I can take it from the Newcastle fans.”

The relationship is now difficult. Booed mercilessly during Newcastle’s 3-0 victory at Ewood Park in September 2005, Bellamy was involved in a tussle with Terry McDermott in the tunnel at Liverpool five months ago; Glenn Roeder’s coach subsequently branded the striker as a “little upstart”. Roeder suggested yesterday that McDermott “would want to” instigate a handshake.

“There’s always attention when a player like Craig, who is a top player, comes back to a club where he did well,” Roeder said. “Any problems he had were not my problems because I wasn’t around.”

McDermott added: “I’m sure Craig will have a bit of apprehension about how he will be treated by the fans here, but that’s no concern to us.”

Rafael BenÍtez is demanding discipline. “We will talk just in case,” the Liverpool manager said, “but I’m not worried because he [bellamy] is a professional and his commitment is good. He doesn’t need to do anything special. He can play well more frequently and be more consistent, but it won’t be a big problem. He has experience and he will be focused.”

The shame is that, in some respects, Newcastle and Bellamy were a good fit. “It’s amazing when other managers try to do things differently,” John Carver, Robson’s former assistant and a man who once had a chair thrown at him by Bellamy, said. “Of course, Craig could be a disruptive character, but sometimes you have to work with them because, come match day, he was worth his weight in gold.”

Guest Knightrider

There came a point for the club when Bellamy's attitude off the pitch could no longer be tolerated or accepted, his fall-out with Souness, engineered or otherwise, the manager's fault or the player's (or both), the club (THE CLUB) decided enough was enough and they were 100% correct in peddling him. IMO anyway. I hate the club being held to ransom simply because some bellend happens to be a good player, standards are more important and it was easier for them to get rid of him than the man they'd just appointed. Of course, had they never appointed Souness Bellamy would still be a NUFC player, or had he kept his mouth shut after agreeing with both the Chairman and manager that things wouldn't go further. Anyway he's history and he'll find out tomorrow what NUFC fans really think of him when he'll face a wall of abuse and rightly so for dragging the club's name through the mud simply because he wasn't man enough to take being played out of position or being subbed on the chin. Forget Souness and his role in it, the club had to take a stand and they took the right one. I'll side with the club any day over that little prick.

WOULD HE f***

You've just revealed you know very little about Newcastle.

so he would be welcomed, yeah see the reaction of the people tomorrow my friend

WOULD HE f***

The few bandwagon jumpers who will be booing, will of course make a lot more noise than the thousands who will remain quiet but appreciate what he did when he played for NUFC. That unfortunately will give the press the story they want.

No true Newcastle supporter could boo someone who gave what Craig Bellamy did whenever he wore a B&W strip.

WOULD HE f***

The few bandwagon jumpers who will be booing, will of course make a lot more noise than the thousands who will remain quiet but appreciate what he did when he played for NUFC. That unfortunately will give the press the story they want.

No true Newcastle supporter could boo someone who gave what Craig Bellamy did whenever he wore a B&W strip.

you have your opinion, but as well as the good stuff he did, he also managed to drag this club through the gutter on more than one occasion

Bellamy was on Talksport a couple of months ago, talking to that Welsh presenter. A couple of questions were put to him and one was from a Newcastle fan asking when he was coming back. He laughed a bit, said all the usual stuff about having good times. Then he said that without bringing up the obvious issues, it was actually 'people higher up' he was most upset with. Later in the interview he went on to slate Chairmen who 'have to have something to say in the papers every week.' It offers nothing to this debate, but I found it a really interesting interview.

Strange thing that despite Bellamy allegedly causing trouble everywhere very few people have anything but good to say about him. Managers and players at his clubs and international team all seem to rate him.

When he left Newcastle only one player had anything bad to say, the rest all said what a great team player he was.

Other than that it seems like Souness, Terry MacDermott (who had never met him) and the chairman's son were the only ones with an axe to grind.

A t*** off the field maybe, but highly rated by almost everyone he's ever dealt with professionally it seems.

A t*** off the field maybe, but highly rated by almost everyone he's ever dealt with professionally it seems.

how often do you hear fellow professionals slagging each other off...cole and sheringham didn't talk to each other for over a year,they just say " we get on just don't knock around with each other" type stuff.

it's weird how people believe the what people say when it fits their idea then "well he would say that" when it doesn't.

i saw dyer and bowyer shake hands and say everything was fine,therefore........

how often do you hear fellow professionals slagging each other off...cole and sheringham didn't talk to each other for over a year,they just say " we get on just don't knock around with each other" type stuff.

it's weird how people believe the what people say when it fits their idea then "well he would say that" when it doesn't.

I would love to believe in your cynicism but it is only Shepherd, Terry Mac and Souness who say otherwise.

I hate to say it but if against a backdrop of every other professional who has worked with Bellamy say otherwise, I have to say, you and others in this thread come accross as complete idiots.

I would love to believe in your cynicism but it is only Shepherd, Terry Mac and Souness who say otherwise.

I hate to say it but if against a backdrop of every other professional who has worked with Bellamy say otherwise, I have to say, you and others in this thread come accross as complete idiots.

of course we are complete idiots....nufc after all.

There came a point for the club when Bellamy's attitude off the pitch could no longer be tolerated or accepted, his fall-out with Souness, engineered or otherwise, the manager's fault or the player's (or both), the club (THE CLUB) decided enough was enough and they were 100% correct in peddling him. IMO anyway. I hate the club being held to ransom simply because some bellend happens to be a good player, standards are more important and it was easier for them to get rid of him than the man they'd just appointed. Of course, had they never appointed Souness Bellamy would still be a NUFC player, or had he kept his mouth shut after agreeing with both the Chairman and manager that things wouldn't go further. Anyway he's history and he'll find out tomorrow what NUFC fans really think of him when he'll face a wall of abuse and rightly so for dragging the club's name through the mud simply because he wasn't man enough to take being played out of position or being subbed on the chin. Forget Souness and his role in it, the club had to take a stand and they took the right one. I'll side with the club any day over that little prick.

Forget Souness and his role in it? No wonder. You backed Souness all the way, both as a manager and in his unprofessional fueds with Robert and Bellamy.

All through his reign you kept on harping on about following the badge rather than individuals when you clearly just meant, follow the hierarchy like a sodding sheep. It was sickening to see when many of us we watching the heart of the club being torn out.

WOULD HE f***

It appears you also don't understand the difference between Bellamy returning as Liverepool player compared to returning as a Newcastle player.  :coolsmiley: 

There are also people who still believe the propaganda spouted by souness and his band of arse lickers, so I've no doubt Bellamy will be subject to booing this afternoon by some brainless morons (irony there, like), but wtf does his reception today have to do with him being welcomed back as a player for Newcastle?

Forget Souness and his role in it? No wonder. You backed Souness all the way, both as a manager and in his unprofessional fueds with Robert and Bellamy.

All through his reign you kept on harping on about following the badge rather than individuals when you clearly just meant, follow the hierarchy like a sodding sheep. It was sickening to see when many of us we watching the heart of the club being torn out.

:thup: sorry to say. All true.

WOULD HE f***

It appears you also don't understand the difference between Bellamy returning as Liverepool player compared to returning as a Newcastle player.  :coolsmiley: 

There are also people who still believe the propaganda spouted by souness and his band of arse lickers, so I've no doubt Bellamy will be subject to booing this afternoon by some brainless morons (irony there, like), but wtf does his reception today have to do with him being welcomed back as a player for Newcastle?

people don't like him. get over it.

Guest Drymarker1

Quite simply he was that good we won absolutely FCOOOK all!!! WOW what a player..

and yes i was in rotterdam that night when he scored and it was a great night but at the end of the day great great players win trophies!!! 

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the little FCUK!

NE5

I would like to laugh at your following quote in the Emre racism thread.

Kluivertdhino, in Craig Bellamys' first season he was instrumental to and the main difference to a team that leaped from a mid table place, with no pace or penetration, into a team that finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League.

Your head was obviously too far up your arse to realise that I said "compare Bellamy's first season in the Premiership (Errrrr.....that's with Coventry BTW, Mr Knoweldge Football) with Martin's"

:lol: :uglystupid2: