Gooch

Dragon55544

Having been linked strongly with Real Madrid, and Capello being very keen on the defensive side of the game, Gooch must have something about him. He clearly has all of the raw ingredients to be a good player, and I don't think he can be judged on a handful of appearences for two main reasons. Firstly, The fact he was not eligible to play in the Uefa Cup has disrupted his rythym. He plays a game, then misses a a game, plays a game, then misses a game, so has not yet had the chance to play consecutive games. Secondly, you can't expect a player to arrive from the Belgium league and step straight up to Premiership level. He needs a period of time to adapt,a nd then be judged. But as I said, he must have some quality, having been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea & Marseille.

Having been linked strongly with Real Madrid, and Capello being very keen on the defensive side of the game, Gooch must have something about him. He clearly has all of the raw ingredients to be a good player, and I don't think he can be judged on a handful of appearences for two main reasons. Firstly, The fact he was not eligible to play in the Uefa Cup has disrupted his rythym. He plays a game, then misses a a game, plays a game, then misses a game, so has not yet had the chance to play consecutive games. Secondly, you can't expect a player to arrive from the Belgium league and step straight up to Premiership level. He needs a period of time to adapt,a nd then be judged. But as I said, he must have some quality, having been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea & Marseille.

And thirdly every game he is playing with different partner in the defence

He dont have any synchronization with the other players he is playing at the CB

That is very important in football especially in defence

I think this fact is one of the reasons he is not showing his true values so far

Yesterday with Moore they were pretty disorganized and it was obvious that they are playing for the 1st time

Charlton should have scored at least 3 more goals

Guest teepee

He's f****** gash and is no better than Bramble or Taylor.

a blind, one-legged dwarf is better than bramble

i'd like for us to sign gooch permanently!

who for? the eagles?

Guest toon tone rudeboy

And thirdly every game he is playing with different partner in the defence

He dont have any synchronization with the other players he is playing at the CB

That is very important in football especially in defence

I think this fact is one of the reasons he is not showing his true values so far

Yesterday with Moore they were pretty disorganized and it was obvious that they are playing for the 1st time

Charlton should have scored at least 3 more goals

Agreed with both of these comments.  There is no way that he can establish any sort of rhythm because of the UEFA games he has had to miss on top of the breaks.  He plays every other game and in between those games there is a week off... hardly the ideal situation.

Hes not what we need, and hasnt looked the part in terms of what we need.

Surely the aim of signing the next centreback is to do our best to correct our problems, rather than just signing another player who "needs to be playing alongside someone better"?

We know from Woodgate's time here that a good centreback can make a big difference if hes able to lead well, and if Gooch isnt that, then why sign him?

At the moment if Gooch doesn't sign our centre backs next season will be from Taylor, Ramage, Edgar and Huntington. Scary! Thats not to say we should sign him but if he is available for £1.8m and we do sign someone close to Woodgate class then maybe we should get him in as although I have hope for Edgar and Huntington (Ramage is just shite) its a fucking scary prospect going into next season with one of them as first choice and the other just behind while Taylor is the main man!

Unless we're in a position to buy 2 new CB's and a LB this summer, we need to sign him for backup. Maybe a one-or-two season contract. Hunty and Edgar need to go out on loan and get regular starts somewhere to take their game to the next stage.

At the moment if Gooch doesn't sign our centre backs next season will be from Taylor, Ramage, Edgar and Huntington. Scary! Thats not to say we should sign him but if he is available for £1.8m and we do sign someone close to Woodgate class then maybe we should get him in as although I have hope for Edgar and Huntington (Ramage is just s****) its a f****** scary prospect going into next season with one of them as first choice and the other just behind while Taylor is the main man!

Fair point, although still not convinced with Gooch as a player.

Hard to judge him, he plays quite conservative for a centreback and doesnt get involved much at all, hence does very little "good" in a game. At the same time hes not exactly great at the other aspects of defending, eg reading, positioning, etc, so its not as though hes able to compensate.

Overall, theres just something about the way he defends and plays the game that spells out to me "uncomfortable", as though hes playing ever so slightly out of his depth. Maybe its just getting used to the Premiership, but still, considering he doesnt look anything special at all....

I think he would be a solid player with a good, reliable centre half next to him for a run of games next season.

As much as a rate him, thats not Steven Taylor, so we'd still have to buy, meaning Taylor would be on the bench as our first choice replacement.

I think Gooch needs a run. To be fair, he's playing at a much higher level than he's ever played before, in a new country and with unfamiliar teammates. He's also not helped by the fact he's probably never played in the same back four since he signed.

• 1 year later...
Guest Chubby Jason

Cant believe i didnt realise his name until now, Gooch ffs :lol: Not sure about England lads, but gooch over here is the name for the area of space between ones arsehole and bollocks :aww:

Remember when you used to be obsessed with Rikishi's gooch?

Cant believe i didnt realise his name until now, Gooch ffs :lol: Not sure about England lads, but gooch over here is the name for the area of space between ones arsehole and bollocks :aww:

Well so would you if the sweat from it was once dripping from your nose

I was aware of that, but ever the pioneers we’ve moved the field on somewhat, and have some superior alternatives.  For example this area can be referred to as your ‘notcha’ as it neither your anus or scrotum.  Another favourite of mine it the ‘screctum’ as again it is neither scrotum nor rectum.

Guest Chubby Jason

Well so would you if the sweat from it was once dripping from your nose

:snod: what a marvelous image.