St James' Park

Delima

Guest bimpy474

I don't doubt that at some point (where there's an international break), he'll attempt to change the name of the club. Hopefully the FA will try to veto it but their track record in that area isn't fantastic. They tried to veto the Wimbledon move and were beaten.

The Wimbledon naming was different, the club was in so much debt it was going under, to allow the club to continue the FA accepted the move to Milton Keynes from the new buyers, that wont happen with us.

Guest bimpy474

Absolute looney tunes if anyone thinks kids growing up over the next 10 years will call it St James' Park when everything they hear or read refers to it as something else - the BBC, one of the biggest media organisations in the world have always referred to the Gallowgate, and it's not like they mention it much anyway unlike the name of the ground, the comparison is ridiculous. Assuming the current name stays in place, which it will until we get rid of him, SJP will be a long forgotten memory in a few years time.

Doesn't matter though, I'm sure we'll be in the top six for all that time so good on him. :thup:

But those kids will have Dad's like us, if my two call it anything other than St James' Park then i'll put them right.........hopefully all other parents will too, that or we will just call in Social Services :D

That's the hope! In any case, anyone who lives in Newcastle/is a Newcastle fan should call it St. James' Park. The issue comes from others who have a vendetta against us and will call it SDA to spite us (such as some people in the media, *cough* BBC *cough*).

I just ignore most media outlets as most have an agenda of one sort or another, we know what its called and so will my kids anyhoo.

It's hard to ignore the media these days like. So, unfortunately their insistence of using the SDA will annoyingly pop up from time to time (the BBC being the main culprit really). But like you say, we all know what it's called so the name won't be completely lost (regionally anyway). Having said that though, I can understand Wullie's concerns as the name, St. James' Park is likely to be lost in the mainstream in the future.

I'm an non Geordie, now i would think most who are and support us would never use SDA, and pass that on to their kids and so on. I'm not as worried about being lost in the mainstream, over the last few years the utter nonsense spouted by them about us, is something i've ignored for years anyway.

When it comes to something like this, kids are influenced far more by the media than they are by their parents. A kid watching MOTD, Sky Sports isn't going to be running to his dad every five minutes asking what the stadium is really called. When he hears the current name 100 times, that's what little Jonny will call it.

I simply cannot believe that anyone thinks the name will exist anymore, the "everyone will still call it SJP" argument is such a load of utter short term nonsense.

Sadly unless parents monitor what their kids watch (i do very closely), i'm afraid long term you could be right (about our namimg of course), i'm just hoping that if a sponsor/buyer does come in, they will call the "stadium" what its meant to be called.

I'm still going to my bit with my kids, i'm bringing them up for the Bolton game, coming up for the weekend, they shall be learned i tells ya :D

all the kids  i know call it the gallowgate and leazes not the new names.

This is what i hope will continue, but Wullie might be right long term especially with new supporters not from the area.

I don't doubt that at some point (where there's an international break), he'll attempt to change the name of the club. Hopefully the FA will try to veto it but their track record in that area isn't fantastic. They tried to veto the Wimbledon move and were beaten.

The Wimbledon naming was different, the club was in so much debt it was going under, to allow the club to continue the FA accepted the move to Milton Keynes from the new buyers, that wont happen with us.

They didn't, the FA and the Football League both rejected it but were forced to appoint two subsequent independent arbitration panels who gave the go-ahead. The FA were totally against it but it got pushed through anyway.

Absolute looney tunes if anyone thinks kids growing up over the next 10 years will call it St James' Park when everything they hear or read refers to it as something else - the BBC, one of the biggest media organisations in the world have always referred to the Gallowgate, and it's not like they mention it much anyway unlike the name of the ground, the comparison is ridiculous. Assuming the current name stays in place, which it will until we get rid of him, SJP will be a long forgotten memory in a few years time.

Doesn't matter though, I'm sure we'll be in the top six for all that time so good on him. :thup:

But those kids will have Dad's like us, if my two call it anything other than St James' Park then i'll put them right.........hopefully all other parents will too, that or we will just call in Social Services :D

That's the hope! In any case, anyone who lives in Newcastle/is a Newcastle fan should call it St. James' Park. The issue comes from others who have a vendetta against us and will call it SDA to spite us (such as some people in the media, *cough* BBC *cough*).

I just ignore most media outlets as most have an agenda of one sort or another, we know what its called and so will my kids anyhoo.

It's hard to ignore the media these days like. So, unfortunately their insistence of using the SDA will annoyingly pop up from time to time (the BBC being the main culprit really). But like you say, we all know what it's called so the name won't be completely lost (regionally anyway). Having said that though, I can understand Wullie's concerns as the name, St. James' Park is likely to be lost in the mainstream in the future.

I'm an non Geordie, now i would think most who are and support us would never use SDA, and pass that on to their kids and so on. I'm not as worried about being lost in the mainstream, over the last few years the utter nonsense spouted by them about us, is something i've ignored for years anyway.

When it comes to something like this, kids are influenced far more by the media than they are by their parents. A kid watching MOTD, Sky Sports isn't going to be running to his dad every five minutes asking what the stadium is really called. When he hears the current name 100 times, that's what little Jonny will call it.

I simply cannot believe that anyone thinks the name will exist anymore, the "everyone will still call it SJP" argument is such a load of utter short term nonsense.

Sadly unless parents monitor what their kids watch (i do very closely), i'm afraid long term you could be right (about our namimg of course), i'm just hoping that if a sponsor/buyer does come in, they will call the "stadium" what its meant to be called.

I'm still going to my bit with my kids, i'm bringing them up for the Bolton game, coming up for the weekend, they shall be learned i tells ya :D

The Gallowgate is the Gallowgate.

And how often do you hear those names/the new names mentioned on the BBC, Sky Sports, in newspapers? The comparison is ludicrous.

Guest bimpy474

They didn't, the FA and the Football League both rejected it but were forced to appoint two subsequent independent arbitration panels who gave the go-ahead. The FA were totally against it but it got pushed through anyway.

But the situation is different, the point with Wimbledon was that there wouldn't have been a club at all, the FA accepted it, whether they were forced to is not the issue.

Our position is completely different, in the last 60 years how many clubs have changed their name ?, MK Dons aside.

It's not even worth talking about renaming the club; it'll never happen.

Who calls the stands what? It's the Leazes, Gallowgate, East Stand & Milburn for me. The only reason it's the Milburn for me is it just used to be the West Stand or Main Stand in its old guise. Those wooden seats couldn't half make a racket. It's amazing looking back at photos showing the East Stand standing taller than the Leazes End (with its roof) - the Leazes always seemed massive.

And how often do you hear those names/the new names mentioned on the BBC, Sky Sports, in newspapers? The comparison is ludicrous.

how often ? I haven't got a clue, I have no idea what term they are currently using, I have no idea whether they have been using the new name. the comparison is valid because the original name lives on in the way that it is most used, us,as opposed to the very few times stadium names are used, because we know what it's called to us it's just something thats taken for granted.

heres how it works for me, I watched liverpool today on the tele and i haven't got a clue who their shirt sponsors are, it just didn't register, so it goes with match reports and such, i'll only look to see who wrote it if it's a particularly good or poor piece.

how often ? I haven't got a clue, I have no idea what term they are currently using, I have no idea whether they have been using the new name. the comparison is valid because the original name lives on in the way that it is most used, us,as opposed to the very few times stadium names are used, because we know what it's called to us it's just something thats taken for granted.

heres how it works for me, I watched liverpool today on the tele and i haven't got a clue who their shirt sponsors are, it just didn't register, so it goes with match reports and such, i'll only look to see who wrote it if it's a particularly good or poor piece.

Stadium names are used absolutely all the time in the media.

I am fully behind the name change in a purely professional business basis. Football is a business like it or not, so all decisions need to be based on such.

The re-naming, as long as the club secures the appropriate funding, is the correct decision

and change it back if it doesn't. i think most are of the opinion though that they have no intention of trying to find a new name sponsor.

Exactly, Ashley would probably s**t himself if someone called their bluff and offered the cost of renaming. What if the fans clubbed together to raise however much it would cost to take over the naming rights and simply rename it SJP? It'll never happen of course and why should we pay for our stadium to keep its original name, but hypotheticaly speaking, if we raised that money do you think Ashley would remove his SD adverts and let us do it? I don't think so.

Guest Brazilianbob

Who calls the stands what? It's the Leazes, Gallowgate, East Stand & Milburn for me. The only reason it's the Milburn for me is it just used to be the West Stand or Main Stand in its old guise. Those wooden seats couldn't half make a racket. It's amazing looking back at photos showing the East Stand standing taller than the Leazes End (with its roof) - the Leazes always seemed massive.

The East stand was always called the Popular side when i was a kid going to the games.  The fact its called the East stand now means zilch, I dont lose any sleep over it because its the team I support!  The current generation of fans are happy to call it the East Stand, so if the next generation are happy to call the ground the Sports Direct Arena so what!  They can call the ground anything they want within reason as far as I am concerned.  i do draw a line in the sand at "Roker park" and "the Stadium of Light" tho!

The East stand was always called the Popular side when i was a kid going to the games.  The fact its called the East stand now means zilch, I dont lose any sleep over it because its the team I support!  The current generation of fans are happy to call it the East Stand, so if the next generation are happy to call the ground the Sports Direct Arena so what!  They can call the ground anything they want within reason as far as I am concerned.  i do draw a line in the sand at "Roker park" and "the Stadium of Light" tho!

Are you equally happy to see the club renamed?

I am fully behind the name change in a purely professional business basis. Football is a business like it or not, so all decisions need to be based on such.

The re-naming, as long as the club secures the appropriate funding, is the correct decision

and change it back if it doesn't. i think most are of the opinion though that they have no intention of trying to find a new name sponsor.

Exactly, Ashley would probably s**t himself if someone called their bluff and offered the cost of renaming. What if the fans clubbed together to raise however much it would cost to take over the naming rights and simply rename it SJP? It'll never happen of course and why should we pay for our stadium to keep its original name, but hypotheticaly speaking, if we raised that money do you think Ashley would remove his SD adverts and let us do it? I don't think so.

the adverts are a seperate thing and the club should be getting some money for them but i doubt they are.

Wullie has pretty much sai what I was feebly trying to articulate on a smartphone earlier, particularly where there are 2nd, 3rd generation geordies like myself (I plan on 3rd gens for the midlands branch of the toon...they shall be mine to mould) I think the name will die out when their glory hinting mates and the media will use it enough. I will use SJP of course and I will attempt to...but anyone thinking that point blank there won't be an uphill struggle if the SD/sponsored name remains in the long term is underestimating the effect of time and the media. Worries me and Wullie at least.