St James' Park

Delima

I don't think the club are ignoring the option to extend the stadium. But look who owns the club, he's not going to spend hundreds of millions to extend the stadium by 15,000 seats when he could build a brand new shitty lego stadiums for the same price with the extra seats.

Have to say if SJP ever got redeveloped it would p*ss on nearly all stadiums

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are f***ed with this size stadium forever

Tbh, we don't need a bigger stadium, we wouldn't fill it. Even back during the Robson era there were empty seats at most league matches, for the Champions League matches it was half empty.

Maybe if we had Dortmund-esque ticket prices it would be different, but that's just a pipe-dream in modern top flight English football, never going to happen anywhere.

Don't think it was quite half empty for our CL matches..

I remember there being tonnes of empty seats. I wasn't intending 'half empty' to be taken literally btw, I'm know the attendances weren't 26,000, more like 40ish for most of them.

Feyenoord there was 40K but Juve and Inter we had 50K

Only had over 50,000 twice from 6 champions league games (Barca & Inter) to be fair. Juve was 48,000 and the other three were less than 41,000  Not great and goes some way to disproving the myth that if we were doing well again we could fill a 60,000+ stadium

Never realised that. Just goes to show that you need to be careful what you wish for. When are we next going to be playing games like that? Thank goodness I went to the San Siro.

Man city don't have anywhere near full stadiums on champions league nights

There's not a lot of clubs do when they are playing teams who maybe aren't "top teams".

Man Utd used to make sure their season ticket's included buying tickets for the 3 home group games of the Champions League. They didn't have a choice, it was included in the price of the season ticket.

Basically, they done it to make sure their ground was full as they knew it would be no where near full when they played FC Basel or Real Mallorca (examples).

Have to say if SJP ever got redeveloped it would p*ss on nearly all stadiums

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are f***ed with this size stadium forever

Tbh, we don't need a bigger stadium, we wouldn't fill it. Even back during the Robson era there were empty seats at most league matches, for the Champions League matches it was half empty.

Maybe if we had Dortmund-esque ticket prices it would be different, but that's just a pipe-dream in modern top flight English football, never going to happen anywhere.

The Robson era was good but we never actually won anything or even managed a cup final. Only a fool would argue that we couldn't fill a far larger stadium if we'd banked the trophies the likes of Man City and Chelsea have recently.

• 1 month later...

Passed SJP today. For f***'s sake...just jet-wash the f***er. Would take no more than a day and a team of 5. Green mildew every-f***ing-where.

I asked the lad from here to.mention it at the ff but it never was. It's a complete clip.

• 1 month later...

Spurs sold out two weeks in advance.

Need a bigger ground if Rafa stays.

More chance of them extending Bar 9 and introduction a £10 entry fee where you can see the match on TV with pints priced at £4.99 with a 5 drink minimum.

St Jacob's Park with a 38,000 capacity in the middle of the mountains is hosting this years Europa League final. It's about time we started trying to get St James' Park to host finals.

St Jacob's Park with a 38,000 capacity in the middle of the mountains is hosting this years Europa League final. It's about time we started trying to get St James' Park to host finals.

It isn't a 5-star UEFA stadium iirc.

Category 4 is the max, and St James' is category 4 according to Wiki, same as Basel

Think for Champions League finals UEFA want stadiums with over 60,000 capacity. No reason why we couldnt get a Europa final though

Category 4 is the max, and St James' is category 4 according to Wiki, same as Basel

Think for Champions League finals UEFA want stadiums with over 60,000 capacity. No reason why we couldnt get a Europa final though

I can think of two reasons. One, the place is a dirty tip; two it would take several months to cover up all the Shit Direct signage - especially the ones on the front of the East Stand and Gallowgate roofs.