St James' Park

Delima

33 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

I can understand people who were never part of the standing generation not getting what the big deal is.

But standing is so much better in everyway. Jumping around next to mates, not being bitched for being passionate etc etc etc. 

This is not going to come cose to replicating that experience. You used to jump up at the back of the Gallowgate and by the time you landed you were sitting in Kevin Carr's lap. I don't know if there is really any need for these safety measures that restrict the individuals movement. How many people outside of Hillsborough and Heysel died in the old set-up when we had about 50k in the leazes alone?

1 hour ago, carpetman1 said:

When I was young and fit, standing and or getting pushed around in the Leazes was great. Many a time I'd arrive at the match and promptly lose whoever I had gone with after a goal. No mobiles in those days to stream the game with/check your bets/gurn with your mates to.  Nowadays being in the wheelchair messes with the viewing. There are some that just can't stand for 90 minutes. Kids can't see if everyone stands up. But hey.. for the many, not the few...  

EDIT. And yes, I realise that I sound like an old fart.

I get that for those who can’t stand. Stamford Bridge will only have 1/4 of the stadium standing. There’ll be plenty of other places to sit for those that want to?

Yeah just get the balance right between standing and seating. What an excellent opportunity to get like minded people together who want to create an atmosphere.

The fact they didn’t put half season tickets on sale gives us scope to move people and accommodate everyone’s preferences.

I personally don’t think this version of standing will be anything like the 70’s or 80’s and will be far more civilised. There’s no increase in capacity, so it won’t resemble anything like the swaying masses of years gone by.

The police have already said they’re concerned about groups of lads gathering together, well fucking sorry like but as long as they’re just creating an atmosphere there should be no problem with that. 

Edited by Whitley mag

Got crushed in the Gallowgate v Sheff Wed, must have been a couple of years before Hillsborough. Absolutely packed, squashed against concrete barrier, could hardly breathe. Very scary, managed to push myself to safety at half time and got off the terrace. Standing wasn’t always fun.

2 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

Got crushed in the Gallowgate v Sheff Wed, must have been a couple of years before Hillsborough. Absolutely packed, squashed against concrete barrier, could hardly breathe. Very scary, managed to push myself to safety at half time and got off the terrace. Standing wasn’t always fun.

Did you not get the sense of exhilaration that you didn't actually die?

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Yeah just get the balance right between standing and seating. What an excellent opportunity to get like minded people together who want to create an atmosphere.

The fact they didn’t put half season tickets on sale gives us scope to move people and accommodate everyone’s preferences.

I personally don’t think this version of standing will be anything like the 70’s or 80’s and will be far more civilised. There’s no increase in capacity, so it won’t resemble anything like the swaying masses of years gone by.

The police have already said they’re concerned about groups of lads gathering together, well fucking sorry like but as long as they’re just creating an atmosphere there should be no problem with that. 

Aye the police cn fuck off. We went 100 years with barely an incident until Thatcher gave them permission to treat us like scum.

19 hours ago, wyn davies said:

Been there in the 60' s standing couldn't see a damn thing sometimes, if youve never been in the stadium when was all standing it was horrendous if needed a slash at half time trying to get back to your sidekicks was murder.

It's changed quite a bit since then mate. The stands are far steeper than they were back in those days, the fans won't be packed in and the facilities are a million times better.

21 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's changed quite a bit since then mate. The stands are far steeper than they were back in those days, the fans won't be packed in and the facilities are a million times better.

That’s a great point about the stands now being so steep, not something I’d thought about.

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2007 at 01:17, marko1892 said:

I love the place. when the ground held 36k that was when it was at its best imo

Agreed mate 100%....the stadium was never the same once it went to 52000.....nowhere near 

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Why do we think it was?

Better acoustics and noise couldn’t escape? 

Harder to get tickets too? Older diehards from 60s, 70s, 80s still going? 

Better acoustics, game was more ‘working class’ therefore more diehards, better team with a manager the fans adored, tickets impossible to get so the right people had them (from 92 onwards) and the football was a lot more exciting in general.  

It was a common thing for Andy Cole to be through on goal from 40 yards out but the way football is played now with 10 men behind the ball against the ‘leading lights’ that would never happen now.

Atmosphere last night was cracking, with wor flags at the start and backed the team non-stop. Made it hostile for Everton and they shit themselves. Loved the reception for Bruno too

Edited by Ronson333

Got to say the atmosphere since the takeover has been on another level. It's absolutely deafening these days, every single home game. Best in the country by a mile now, and I'd go as far to say best in Europe. I'm a bit of a groundhopper, and I've done all the big grounds in Germany, Italy, Spain, and Holland and nothing comes close to what we have right now. The intensity of our crowd now is just awesome. It must be amazing for our players to play in an atmosphere like that.

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Got to say the atmosphere since the takeover has been on another level. It's absolutely deafening these days, every single home game. Best in the country by a mile now, and I'd go as far to say best in Europe. I'm a bit of a groundhopper, and I've done all the big grounds in Germany, Italy, Spain, and Holland and nothing comes close to what we have right now. The intensity of our crowd now is just awesome. It must be amazing for our players to play in an atmosphere like that.

And it will only get better if we stay up and start climbing into European spots and start playing back in Europe again and challenging for honours. In 4 months the whole atmosphere around the club has changed, on and off the stands. 

Edited by HTT II

22 minutes ago, HTT II said:

And it will only get better if we stay up and start climbing into European spots and start playing back in Europe again and challenging for honours. In 4 months the whole atmosphere around the club has changed, on and off the stands. 

It truly feels like we're on the precipice of something really, really fucking big here doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

It truly feels like we're on the precipice of something really, really fucking big here doesn't it?

If we stay up this year, shit is gonna happen in the  next transfer window 

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Fucking shitting my pants trying to get a Season Ticket back.

Thankfully, I think @TheGuv is shitting his pants more than me :lol:

I’m going to wait outside the box office over night and make sure I get one. 

As a dirty southerner, if I was to attempt (and somehow succeed in) getting a season ticket next year, would it be fairly straightforward to pass entry on to a local to make use of if ever I couldn't make it to a match?

Based on the demand I know I'd only have a slim chance anyway but I don't want a seat to go to waste if I can't make it so would be a big factor in whether I even bother to queue.