St James' Park

Delima

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

This is true. I said a couple of pages ago that a big % of the crowd only carried on going during the Ashley/Bruce shitshow because they enjoyed their day on the drink in town. Lost count of the amount of people who said "the match gets in the way of a good session" or "I'm not giving up my day on the drink with my mates" when the whole keep your season ticket v pack ypur ticket in debate was in full flow.

Newcastle United is probably more synonymous to the city they play in than any other club in the country. When you say Newcastle, people automatically think Newcastle United and a big part of that is due to the location of SJP and the support. The club would lose a huge part of its identity by moving out of the city boundaries.

I'm all for a move to a new stadium btw. SJP is outdated compared to many of the modern stadiums but it could only be to another site within the city boundary. If that wasn't possible we'd be just as well staying put even if we couldn't extend and with the reality that it could ultimately hold us back.

bingo

7 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm all for a move to a new stadium btw. SJP is outdated compared to many of the modern stadiums but it could only be to another site within the city boundary

While I would always want to stay at an upgraded and extended SJP, I also disagree with what you say about any new stadium's location.

It needs to be in the City Centre.

I live in the City but I am about five miles from the City Centre and quite near the City Boundary (that you mention) and I don't think that any new stadium would prosper that far out !!!

1 hour ago, GWN said:

1000/1 it goes outside the City ! It would be their biggest mistake (the owners) 

I don't think it would ever go out of the City, it just would not work in Gateshead or Whitley Bay.

In fact, I don't think they would even consider anywhere outside the 'City Centre' to be honest !

In fact, I'm sure they will stay at an extended SJP.

Edited by manorpark

3 hours ago, manorpark said:

I don't think it would ever go out of the City, it just would not work in Gateshead or Whitley Bay.

In fact, I don't think they would even consider anywhere outside the 'City Centre' to be honest !

In fact, I'm sure they will stay at an extended SJP.

exactly, I don't know why anyone would want this as it would destroy the club. Yes the arena land if it was available (but it's not) and yes maybe leazes park which is the only option without going out of town or do people think that we'll just flatten 200 square metres of grey street or something? 

Yes it's going to be very expensive (expansion) but it the long term it's going to be worth it in terms of growing the clubs profile. The saudis won't want to be left behind by

Man Utd 74000+

Spurs 63000+

West Ham 62000+

Liverpool 61000+

Man City 60000+ (rumoured)

Arsenal 60000

Everton 53000

and also talk of Leeds, Villa, Wolves and chelsea expanding although at least a couple of those are unlikely 

If you built it at say Silverlink/Northumberland Park, then you are locking out the fans in the West End of Newcastle and possibly in the South who don’t have a car, especially kids in cup games etc. The same work if you built it at Kingston Park etc.

7 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

exactly, I don't know why anyone would want this as it would destroy the club. Yes the arena land if it was available (but it's not) and yes maybe leazes park which is the only option without going out of town or do people think that we'll just flatten 200 square metres of grey street or something? 

Yes it's going to be very expensive (expansion) but it the long term it's going to be worth it in terms of growing the clubs profile. The saudis won't want to be left behind by

Man Utd 74000+

Spurs 63000+

West Ham 62000+

Liverpool 61000+

Man City 60000+ (rumoured)

Arsenal 60000

Everton 53000

and also talk of Leeds, Villa, Wolves and chelsea expanding although at least a couple of those are unlikely 

Looking at that list of capacity’s it’s clear standing still isn’t an option, but I think realistically 65k is about right going forward.

Still think purpose built on Castle Leazes is the right option in terms of creating the right stadium though. I know folk are keen to stay at St James on here, but would you be happy with a mirror image of the Leazes stand at the Gallowgate end ? 

It would look great undoubtedly but at what cost to atmosphere ? The current Leazes stand is dead for creating noise and if that happened to the Gallowgate would same folk be happy with a redeveloped St James. It would also create new swathes of Level 7 seating which is undesirable to many.

New stadium with great sight lines and acoustics for me all day, obviously still in striking distance of city centre though

Guest reefatoon

It’s a nightmare trying to get into town (from the South of the Tyne) when something is on at the arena, especially now they have fucked around with using the Tyne Bridge. Would be crippling and a total mare trying to get over on a Saturday when 60-70,000 are in and around that area. 

Would love to know what the owners plans are for this, they must know what can/can't be done to the ground by now you'd think.

Extending L7 round the gallowgate would take it to about 60-62k ish i think, not sure it would be worth it for that, need another tier on the east stand if they can somehow build straight up.

70k would be great.

Edited by dembabah

5 minutes ago, dembabah said:

Would love to know what the owners plans are for this, they must know what can/can't be done to the ground by now you'd think.

Extending L7 round the gallowgate would take it to about 60-62k ish i think, not sure it would be worth it for that, need another tier on the east stand if they can somehow build straight up.

70k would be great.

Think Gallowgate and the Gallowgate West Corner are the only realistic opportunities. If it’s true the block on the land behind the Gallowgate isn’t being built anymore, then that suggests that something is happening there.

Don’t know why people continue to speculate about moving stadiums when Merhdad said we aren’t leaving SJP. No way he says that if they didn’t have assurances that SJP could be expanded imo. Would’ve been a lot more conservative in his answer. 

41 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It’s a nightmare trying to get into town (from the South of the Tyne) when something is on at the arena, especially now they have fucked around with using the Tyne Bridge. Would be crippling and a total mare trying to get over on a Saturday when 60-70,000 are in and around that area. 

Don't think so. We'd still drink in our usual pre match pubs and just leave 10 mins earlier. I reckon most people would do the same (old habits die hard and all that). The only time you'd likely to get huge numbers in and around the stadium would be within 30 mins of kick off by which time almost everybody would be in town.

People have a routine for the match. Concerts are different. Different people with differing habits going on sporadic occasions, and they tend to be at night time when a lot of concert goers are arriving at the same time as rush hour. The matchday operation would be like a well oiled machine fairly quickly I reckon.

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Park and ride from team valley area ? 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Ben said:

Park and ride from team valley area ? 

It’s the congestion now on the Redheugh bridge (since they fucked around with Askew Road and the Tyne Bridge). It’s a total nightmare, even on match days now with the ground where it is. The queues trying to get in on both the bridge and Scotswood road is shite now. Just think if you are going to have 70,000 people trying to get around the arena area, it would be an absolute nightmare trying to get through to town from the South.

13 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Think Gallowgate and the Gallowgate West Corner are the only realistic opportunities. If it’s true the block on the land behind the Gallowgate isn’t being built anymore, then that suggests that something is happening there.

Don’t know why people continue to speculate about moving stadiums when Merhdad said we aren’t leaving SJP. No way he says that if they didn’t have assurances that SJP could be expanded imo. Would’ve been a lot more conservative in his answer. 

I mean that's the sensible outlook but you'd probably be better off putting.....

1. Smash Leazes terrace to pieces, tell the people that live there to clear off if they aren't killed in the destruction. If the council are upset, tell them to fuck off. 

2. Dig a tunnel to Beamish underneath Shearers bar.

3. knock down the Milburn and Leazes and import 256 shipping containers 

4. Play at Gateshead and sit on a shipping container or bring a chair

5. Build a stadium at the Race course JUST for horses. 89999 horse capacity. Bring a small horse and you can sit in Level 7.5 (if your a horse) 

6. Rebuild Leazes terrace at Beamish

7. Build a new state of the art 190000 capacity stadium at Beamish and set up a fanzone at Leazes terrace and sell SJP land to buy Neymar

As I've said before Newcastle United are an investment for the PIF. If they were here just to throw 50 billion quid about, they wouldn't be looking for all these extra revenue streams and sponsorship. But everything they are doing is ultimately boosting the profile of the club, growing it bit by bit and repairing the damage caused by the previous owner. They are even putting things in place that weren't even there before Mike Ashley, I mean football has changed a lot, but Keegans team trained on a lumpy University pitch and shared locker rooms with the public. 

The money invested last year was to prevent relegation, Burn, Trippier and Targett were actually very shrewd signings in todays game, the surprise was Bruno which was more forward thinking. And the last transfer window wasn't the crazy window forecast that was whipped up by the media, it was slow but solid. Like Bruno, Isak was a surprise, but you can guarantee the transfer was influenced by Callum Wilsons injury and we ended up paying more than what the PIF would have liked to pay. 

In terms of the ground, they do want to increase capacity, they've said that. But this will come consequence of growth, and european football will be a a great platform to justify that type of expenditure. 

Quite simply - next 10 years, SJP expansion

Beyond 10 years - new stadium if demand is still outweighing a 65000 capacity

Edited by Mr Pups
grammer