St James' Park

Delima

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No, it wasn't singled out, it was one example on a long list of examples, that you've cherry picked and managed to find one list where it ranks higher while ignoring every other example. It's fine, I can see what you're doing and cba. Agree to disagree

Not really cherry picking bud. In amongst the pointless bickering, the point I was trying to make was that a newly built stadium wouldn't necessarily be soulless. The risk would obviously be there though if they got the design wrong.

29 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Never trust any survey that has Anfield as near the top for atmosphere. Its loud for YNWA and then quiet as a library. 

Normally I'd agree but, watching some of their live games last season, I was actually impressed at the singing that came from all four sides of the ground. They've also got a songbook that is significantly better than most of the league.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Normally I'd agree but, watching some of their live games last season, I was actually impressed at the singing that came from all four sides of the ground. They've also got a songbook that is significantly better than most of the league.

How do you know the singing comes from all 4 sides of the ground ?

1 minute ago, JonBez comesock said:

The atmosphere is poor most of the game  (barring the Gallowgate sporadically)

We need like minded people who want to cause an absolute racket to all sit / stand in one huge area to begin with 

7/8k 

Then introduce other areas in which others want to do the same 

at the moment you see pockets of fans trying to make noise but get susshhhed by the others in and around them

We have huge potential to make it an intimidating stadium but at the moment it’s a bit average (unless your in the gallowgate and we are on top) 

Strawberry Corner is full of standers and they rarely stop singing, even before the new rails were put in

Get that replicated in a few other areas and it'd make a huge difference

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Hearing Fields of Anfield Road makes me want to burst my own ear drums with a chopstick

Pre takeover I never thought I’d actually come over for a match as I just saw doom and gloom forever. Since making that decision to come to Wembley I’ve not spent a week without thinking “how can I work out when to come to Newcastle and go to St James Park?”  So in any case, I can’t wait to walk into the ground and step out and look at the pitch. Hopefully we get 3 points versus Palace too! 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

How do you know the singing comes from all 4 sides of the ground ?

The games that I was watching you could literally see the people in the various stands clapping along with the song. I think you can pick up from the sound coming through the TV where the singing is coming from in a stadium. 

For years & years I have poured scorn on Anfield's atmosphere but it definitely seems to have improved recently. You could say the same for Old Trafford too.

27 years of watching us on internet or tv. Then 2023 rolls around and I’ve seen us play 3 times live (2 friendlies) and I’m sat here trying to figure out how I can make 2-3 trips a season now. 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The games that I was watching you could literally see the people in the various stands clapping along with the song. I think you can pick up from the sound coming through the TV where the singing is coming from in a stadium. 

For years & years I have poured scorn on Anfield's atmosphere but it definitely seems to have improved recently. You could say the same for Old Trafford too.

There's also a question of mic placement and sound production etc. I 've been to games with shit atmospheres that have sounded decent on TV and games with great atmospheres which have sounded flat on tv.

4 hours ago, TheGuv said:

I agree with all of that.

Only trickiness would be to see whether the ‘noisy’ old guard could 

A) get back in

B) be more dedicated safe standing/singing sections. 

Because if they just increased capacity but it just meant that more ‘bodies’ were in the stadium, I doubt it would make much difference other than ‘locking in’ some of the noise that might escape out over the Gallowgate.

I am incredibly interested to see what the atmosphere is like on Saturday. I have a feeling @Wallsendmag Bolton Wanderers at home in 1996 could be more common throughout the season.

I really worry for the atmosphere this season. There'll simply be too many people sitting in areas that they don't want to be in, that they don't really belong in really!

I'm not bothering on Saturday. The thought of £70 or thereabouts for tickets for me and the bairn to get stuck in a part of the ground I don't want to be in just didn't appeal so I'll watch on the telly instead.

I'm as noisy as the next person at the match. I'm up out my seat all the time so last season, and the season before I would head straight for the Gallowgate Upper as that was where other likeminded fans would be and it was also fairly was to get 2 seats together up there. If I get stuck in the Leazes, and let's face it there's a higher chance of that as there's fewer season ticket holders, it just isn't the same and I wouldn't enjoy it. 

I just hope they can alter things so you can at least apply for a particular stand in the ballot. I'd rather get to 5 home games in the Gallowgate this season than 15 in the Leazes, unless it was the NE corner in the Leazes. Think I'd like it in there.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

The atmosphere is poor most of the game  (barring the Gallowgate sporadically)

We need like minded people who want to cause an absolute racket to all sit / stand in one huge area to begin with 

7/8k 

Then introduce other areas in which others want to do the same 

at the moment you see pockets of fans trying to make noise but get susshhhed by the others in and around them

We have huge potential to make it an intimidating stadium but at the moment it’s a bit average (unless your in the gallowgate and we are on top) 

Spot on. Missed a trick with not offering seat moves...especially when there was high demand for safe standing.

I always think it's a mute point re atmosphere. That or should be contextualised. 

Goodison, when they're "on it" is a bear pit for eg. 

There's not a ground out there isn't lively when their teams doing well. Granted some supporters rally round their team if they're behind/struggling more than others tho but. I think we're particularly good after going a goal down.

One of the main reasons we sacked off our season tickets was because the atmosphere at St. James was fucking dire, absolutely fucking purgatory. Not everyone, obvs, but in general. 

It was depressing af. 

Don't get me wrong, Ive been loads when we were rank on the pitch and the fans were great I just think that Ashley's NUFC had sucked the life out of it. 

Conversely, since the takeover, there's been moments watching home games on the snide when it's made the hair on my neck stand out. Bruno v Leicester being the moment, to my dying day, "I wish I was there"

Probs a more modern trait but if the team ain't doing the bizz, most home fans are muted a bit, anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Pre takeover I never thought I’d actually come over for a match as I just saw doom and gloom forever. Since making that decision to come to Wembley I’ve not spent a week without thinking “how can I work out when to come to Newcastle and go to St James Park?”  So in any case, I can’t wait to walk into the ground and step out and look at the pitch. Hopefully we get 3 points versus Palace too! 

Pile on 0-0 for that game, lads.

28 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I really worry for the atmosphere this season. There'll simply be too many people sitting in areas that they don't want to be in, that they don't really belong in really!

I'm not bothering on Saturday. The thought of £70 or thereabouts for tickets for me and the bairn to get stuck in a part of the ground I don't want to be in just didn't appeal so I'll watch on the telly instead.

I'm as noisy as the next person at the match. I'm up out my seat all the time so last season, and the season before I would head straight for the Gallowgate Upper as that was where other likeminded fans would be and it was also fairly was to get 2 seats together up there. If I get stuck in the Leazes, and let's face it there's a higher chance of that as there's fewer season ticket holders, it just isn't the same and I wouldn't enjoy it. 

I just hope they can alter things so you can at least apply for a particular stand in the ballot. I'd rather get to 5 home games in the Gallowgate this season than 15 in the Leazes, unless it was the NE corner in the Leazes. Think I'd like it in there.

More i think of it we missed a trick not putting safe standing in the leazes end. The strawberry corner was fine as it is

26 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

More i think of it we missed a trick not putting safe standing in the leazes end. The strawberry corner was fine as it is

Aye I think it would have been canny to mix it up a bit and maybe have done it in the corner under the TV studios which is by far the biggest of the 3 corners and holds almost 3k. Strawberry Corner and NE Corner took care of themselves last season with the noise levels. Would have been good to get something going over there as well.

16 hours ago, Disco said:

Aye same. Still wonder if there’s scope to lower the pitch somehow even if, as you say, the capacity increase would be minimal. 

No, to lower pitch you need excess room around the pitch (like a running track) The 7m or so that stretches from the goal line/side line to the first row of seats is a requirement for FIFA/uefa to host international football and I'd assume the owners wouldn't want to miss out on hosting opportunities like that 

18 hours ago, JackieDoor said:

Anyone been in the barracks before?

Yes mate. What do you need to know? 

To get the most out the barracks (it's not for everyone) is to go early, like 2 hours early and that way you'll get a nice clean table, free scran and served easily. Come in 30 mins before kick off and you may as well go straight to your seat. 

Personally I prefer drinking in town and heading to SJP 15 mins before kick off and having the luxury of going a bit ragey. 

The stupidest rule about the barracks is that you CAN'T display a black and white shirt inside, an anti Newcastle/football establishment within a football stadium 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

1 hour ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Yes mate. What do you need to know? 

To get the most out the barracks (it's not for everyone) is to go early, like 2 hours early and that way you'll get a nice clean table, free scran and served easily. Come in 30 mins before kick off and you may as well go straight to your seat. 

Personally I prefer drinking in town and heading to SJP 15 mins before kick off and having the luxury of going a bit ragey. 

The stupidest rule about the barracks is that you CAN'T display a black and white shirt inside, an anti Newcastle/football establishment within a football stadium 

Well this all bodes well for my inaugural season in the barracks.

Others I knew who moved earlier from the Gallowgate club were hugely disappointed with what their extra money got them down there and wish they'd never have moved.

Although, it was the right decision by them ultimately.

44 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

When it's good it's good tho but......

(been trying to find that video, iirc was from someone on New Bridge st, night game, Toon score. Roar was immense ?). 

They reckon the noise was something to behold in the hospital round the corner when my step-neice was born - can only have been a goal against Swindon in the dark days.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

They reckon the noise was something to behold in the hospital round the corner when my step-neice was born - can only have been a goal against Swindon in the dark days.

The one from New Bridge, near the Stack, was brilliant. Looked like a damp, winter night. The streets deserted then the roar. 

Can't find the cunt anywhere ?

Edited by Groundhog63