St James' Park

Delima

It's a good job for Spurs that the only building blocking the then White Hart Lane redevelopment burned to the ground.

Nothing suspicious about that at all...

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

It's a good job for Spurs that the only building blocking the then White Hart Lane redevelopment burned to the ground.

Nothing suspicious about that at all...

Sometimes buildings just catch fire after multiple bids to purchased them are turned down

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Sometimes buildings just catch fire after multiple bids to purchased them are turned down

Truly inspiring when you can witness something becoming reality through sheer perseverance, building everything from the ground up with nothing but a pair of empty hands and a matchbox 🙏🏼

Edited by Kaizero

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  There’s nowt special about the ground - in fact, it is outmoded and lopsided.  It is the location that is special. 

Stonehenge is just a bunch of rocks stood up.......

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

It just makes sense.. they can build one of the best stadiums in the world on new land for about the same cost as a limited upgrade at SJP would. A new stadium can be built with zero impact on ongoing fixtures, that has to be factored in too. Sharing a stadium would mean a loss of that revenue which would have the knock on effect to PSR.

It’s also about legacy. They’ll want to leave something great that reflects on the Kingdom.

Also the Reuben’s didn’t get involved just to turn up to a few games.. land development is their thing so if SJP were to be eventually knocked down.. they would have first option as bringing something totally new to that area.

But where ?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never missed going to Maine Road, it has to be said.

Highbury was lovely, mind.  But Arsenal’s new ground actually has an atmosphere. 

Don’t think West Ham’s move to the Taxpayer Stadium is a useful reference point. 

Does it? It was absolutely dire when I went a few years back. 

I honestly think if they came out with decent renders for a new stadium at Castle Leazes, then a lot more people would be willing to move.

It’s no good asking people if they would be willing to move without them seeing where too, or what they could get.

You’ll always get some season ticket holders who are happy to stay put, they have their ticket, without acknowledging that ultimately if we stay, then they will be priced out of their seats.

It’s the same with the club badge, asking people if you want to change it, instead of coming up with a modern version of the 1976/83 badge, or a Magpie etc being shown on potential merchandise etc is always going to get people saying they would prefer the same old same old.

You have to show people what they could have, not ask them. As Henry Ford once said, if he asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

41 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I honestly think if they came out with decent renders for a new stadium at Castle Leazes, then a lot more people would be willing to move.

It’s no good asking people if they would be willing to move without them seeing where too, or what they could get.

You’ll always get some season ticket holders who are happy to stay put, they have their ticket, without acknowledging that ultimately if we stay, then they will be priced out of their seats.

It’s the same with the club badge, asking people if you want to change it, instead of coming up with a modern version of the 1976/83 badge, or a Magpie etc being shown on potential merchandise etc is always going to get people saying they would prefer the same old same old.

You have to show people what they could have, not ask them. As Henry Ford once said, if he asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

I dont know any season ticket holders who wouldn't move to Castle Leazes if needs be. I'd still like to, at least see, extension of SJP plans and what could be done.

It's an absolute no brainer to build a new stadium if the option is there for the city centre. The vast options of increased revenue and sponsorship coming into the club make it the most viable option.

I'm not convinced at all that the cost of building an extension, the restrictions of the location of the stadium for expansion, the fact that current season ticket holders will miss out/greatly inconvenienced and the fact that revenue/commercial options will be reduced will mean a new stadium is the option they will take.

Edited by et tu brute

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

It's an absolute no brainer to build a new stadium if the option is there for the city centre. The vast options of increased revenue and sponsorship coming into the club make it the most viable option.

I'm not convinced at all that the cost of building an extension, the restrictions of the location of the stadium for expansion, the fact that current season ticket holders will miss out/greatly inconvenienced and the fact that revenue/commercial options will be reduced will mean a new stadium is the option they will take.

Here’s hoping it’s the right option for so many reasons, I’m not sure how the club can come to another conclusion, the only barrier should be finding the right location to build it.

4 hours ago, NEEJ said:

No. Though it may have improved lately because of title races or whatever even they called it the "Souless bowl" and thats based off of an old ground that had no atmosphere (bar the appearance) either.

Only Brighton that I can think of have a new stadium with a better atmosphere than the old. Though again that's an improvement on getting 5000 at a athletics stadium or the old Goldstone. Some are about the same most are worse.

6 hours ago, NEEJ said:

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

No. Though it may have improved lately because of title races or whatever even they called it the "Souless bowl" and thats based off of an old ground that had no atmosphere (bar the appearance) either.

Only Brighton that I can think of have a new stadium with a better atmosphere than the old. Though again that's an improvement on getting 5000 at a athletics stadium or the old Goldstone. Some are about the same most are worse.

I genuinely thought it had more noise than Highbury tbh - though I’ve visited the new ground as an away fan fewer times than I did Highbury

Saudis are going to be building load of stadiums for 2034. So could work either way. Gives them appetite to effectively trial out one of the designs here / do things at same time whilst they’ve got the top architects designing stadiums or, their focus is on just Saudi34, so it’s a case of just updating SJP, small expansion. 

Edited by Sibierski