St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

So not even Castle Leazes for you?

It honestly does nowt for me. We'll have another bowl shaped stadium that is void of any character and will look like a shopping centre and we'll be charged extortionate prices and it'll be largely corporate and geared towards new fans.

I get it's the route we'll likely have to take, but it's wank.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

What if it was better by every metric but we played on non hallowed turf?

It just won't be better in every metric though will it. St James' is home.

9 hours ago, Heron said:

We'll have another bowl shaped stadium that is void of any character and will look like a shopping centre

This feels like a myth to me, and gets peddled around here quite frequently as a reason to not build a new stadium. 

The Saudis aren’t going to build a flat pack, that’s for sure. 

Edited by cubaricho

14 minutes ago, Heron said:

:lol:

4 × English Champions

6 × FA Cup Winners

1 × Fairs Cup Winners

1 × Charity Shield Winners 

I wonder what percentage of the fan base can remember any of that, loads weren’t even born in 1969 our last trophy.

26 minutes ago, Heron said:

:lol:

4 × English Champions

6 × FA Cup Winners

1 × Fairs Cup Winners

1 × Charity Shield Winners 

There are 3 domestic trophies that matter. We have won 10 - a considerable number. Or at least it was 50+ years ago. We won those trophies in the first 51 years of becoming FL members. In the subsequent 69 years we have won zilch.

We all have a powerful emotional attachment to St James's Park, but describing the land as hallowed is for the magpies and other birds. It's been more hollowed than hallowed since 1955. 

42 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I wonder what percentage of the fan base can remember any of that, loads weren’t even born in 1969 our last trophy.

Anyone under the age of 65 is struggling to remember the last time we won a trophy.

It's still got history irrespective of when it was. I honestly don't see the clamour for a new stadium personally. Okay, it might be modern with all the mod cons fans seemingly now want but it's not for me like. Increasing attendance matters to the financials not to the atmosphere. I'd rather play in front of 20k with a raucous atmosphere than 80k in silence.

18 minutes ago, STM said:

What matters to me more is the design. Do something unique and completely different. 

In fairness to Everton (🤢), their new stadium is pretty cool.

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

It's still got history irrespective of when it was. I honestly don't see the clamour for a new stadium personally. Okay, it might be modern with all the mod cons fans seemingly now want but it's not for me like. Increasing attendance matters to the financials not to the atmosphere. I'd rather play in front of 20k with a raucous atmosphere than 80k in silence.

Agree completely - the atmosphere has to be central to any new stadium design. A massive safe standing area behind the goal would be a start; roof on and acoustically designed stands. SJP is pretty shite for acoustics unless you’re at the back of the gallowgate.

2 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I’d only be comfortable moving to leazes park or whatever that bit above is called, castle leazes? 

anywhere out of the city would be a terrible move 

edit: thought you were referring to land just beyond that empty patch!

Can't see the council entertaining the loss of that open land or Leazes Park. Think a new ground will have to be out of town - even then there'll be massive pushback from planners and locals I would think.

Edited by Turnbull2000

this has become the new Marc Guehi thread for me - refreshing the page hoping to see an announcement, looking for an embedded tweet. Will the fanbase go into meltdown again if there's no news once international break is over?

13 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

This feels like a myth to me, and gets peddled around here quite frequently as a reason to not build a new stadium. 

The Saudis aren’t going to build a flat back, that’s for sure.

Aye, Spurs’ has a bar in it. I don’t mean a kiosk where you can order and then stand in front of a TV, like actually go into an area and sit at tables and chairs. Not just for corporate either.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

It just won't be better in every metric though will it. St James' is home.

It will be better by every metric other than how you feel about it, which is the point, I guess?

Edited by Dr Venkman

I’ve come around to the idea of a new city stadium if it’s the only way to get me / other locked out back in. But I do think it’ll be worse than SJP cos I’ve never been to a new stadium that I’ve not thought is lacking in character of its predecessor. I suppose I’m just very conservative on this. In 50 years these might have a kind of character. I’ve not been to Tottenham’s new one though.  

Ultimately I need to be inside though. 

Edited by Superior Acuña