St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

It will be better by every metric other than how you feel about it, which is the point, I guess?

It won't have history. That's a pretty important metric. I know I'm being a pedantic arsehole by the way :lol:

It wont have this level of locality to the city centre.

It will have increased capacity and all the things a football stadium doesn't really need. If they're important metrics then so be it.

I'll be honest, I simply won't be talked into it. :lol:

The irony of all this is that FFP and PSR is designed to protect community assets such as football clubs to my knowledge, and yet here it is taking NUFC down a totally different track, away from it's historic home to make a quick buck so we can hopefully keep pace with the Jones'.

Edited by Heron

4 hours ago, Heron said:

It honestly does nowt for me. We'll have another bowl shaped stadium that is void of any character and will look like a shopping centre and we'll be charged extortionate prices and it'll be largely corporate and geared towards new fans.

I get it's the route we'll likely have to take, but it's wank.

Well said.

I don’t get the clamour for it. People getting a hard on over new walls and shiny floors. “We need it to compete” do we fucking bollocks man. Do what it takes to enhance the size of SJP. Our home for 130 odd years. People want to rip that up for the sake of a shiny new modern bowl.

Fuck the NFL and that tatie off True Faith who was buzzing about it inal. 

I'd be against it if football was the same as it was in the 90's, but it's not. It feels so far removed from the game I grew up with. SJP needs to move with the times.

I just want to be able to go for a piss at HT without having the radge squeeze, or grab a pint before KO without worrying about queuing for 20 minutes. Things don't have to be the way they are.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'd be against it if football was the same as it was in the 90's, but it's not. It feels so far removed from the game I grew up with. SJP needs to move with the times.

I just want to be able to go for a piss at HT without having the radge squeeze, or grab a pint before KO without worrying about queuing for 20 minutes. Things don't have to be the way they are.

I think they could invest in SJP and make it a lot better though, I don't see the need to move other than to get more bodies in.

4 hours ago, Heron said:

:lol:

4 × English Champions

6 × FA Cup Winners

1 × Fairs Cup Winners

1 × Charity Shield Winners 

Easily matched with the trajectory we are on.

Hell yes I would miss St James aswell 

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

I think they could invest in SJP and make it a lot better though, I don't see the need to move other than to get more bodies in.

I'm not sure we can make the concourses any bigger without compromising elsewhere tbh. We need an attractive ground for outside events to increase revenue and attract bigger sponsors imo. Fuck the capacity increase, I don't want more whining pricks, tourists or plastics in the ground than we've already got.

18 minutes ago, Heron said:

It won't have history. That's a pretty important metric. I know I'm being a pedantic arsehole by the way :lol:

It will have increased capacity and all the things a football stadium doesn't really need. If they're important metrics then so be it.

The irony of all this is that FFP and PSR is designed to protect community assets such as football clubs to my knowledge, and yet here it is taking NUFC down a totally different track, away from it's historic home to make a quick buck so we can hopefully keep pace with the Jones'.

Totally respect this mate. I am fond of SJP for sentimental reasons but if we could have a new one within spitting distance which helped us to achieve our ambitions I’m all for it.

Love SJP, many memories there, good and bad and some top crack with friends and family, however if they managed to secure permission for Leazes/Castle Leazes, I have absolutely no issue with it at all. or anywhere else city centre. 

Anywhere plastic and generic outside of the city is an absolute non starter in my eyes. Got nothing but disdain for stadiums like them. Shite. 

55 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm not sure we can make the concourses any bigger without compromising elsewhere tbh. We need an attractive ground for outside events to increase revenue and attract bigger sponsors imo. Fuck the capacity increase, I don't want more whining pricks, tourists or plastics in the ground than we've already got.

:lol:

5 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

I wonder what percentage of the fan base can remember any of that, loads weren’t even born in 1969 our last trophy.

I was born in 68, can still remember Moncur holding it up. 😁

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Stadium sponsorship and vastly extended corporate is the issue.  Extending SJP will barely make a dent in matchday revenues - and assuming that the FFP rules at UEFA don't change anytime soon, we're not competing at the level PIF claim they want us to with an extended SJP - we'd be potentially close to 100m per season behind the big matchday earners.

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Well said.

I don’t get the clamour for it. People getting a hard on over new walls and shiny floors. “We need it to compete” do we fucking bollocks man. Do what it takes to enhance the size of SJP. Our home for 130 odd years. People want to rip that up for the sake of a shiny new modern bowl.

Fuck the NFL and that tatie off True Faith who was buzzing about it inal. 

Never understood the obsession with getting NFL to SJP.  I doubt they'd consider going to Newcastle in any case.

But there are other reasons to support a move

9 minutes ago, duo said:

St James' has character, history. New stadiums are like a shiny new build.  Not for me.

Wonder how many fans of Sunderland, Leicester, Man City, Arsenal etc would love to swap back to their traditional home. Would be a high percentage imo (of those who experienced both ground anyways) 

I suspect the percentage of Man City/Arsenal might be lower than the other two mentioned as they've witnessed success in their new stadiums. West Ham would be an interesting one. That's arguably the worst move. 

Edited by Elma

3 hours ago, Heron said:

I'm sympathetic to a lot of what you're saying, but football does really need it's supporters. And generations are going to be locked out at this rate, with the average age of matchgoers being pensionable in the next decade or so. 

Massive growth is the best chance of enabling more people to support the club and keeping prices from skyrocketing even higher.

31 minutes ago, duo said:

St James' has character, history. New stadiums are like a shiny new build.  Not for me.

SJP was a shiny new build 20-odd years ago.  It isn't the same ground I attended in my youth other than the East Stand - and if you're my dad's age, it is a completely different ground.

3 minutes ago, Elma said:

I suspect the percentage of Man City/Arsenal might be lower than the other two mentioned as they've witnessed success in their new stadiums. West Ham would be an interesting one. That's arguably the worst move. 

Arsenal’s atmosphere was terrible until 22/23 like. 

3 hours ago, Heron said:

Better view for the majority? Better acoustics for all? Allow more of those currently locked out in?

Gotta move with the times. SJP in 1983 (first visit) has nothing remaining including the pitch when they dug it up for under soil heating as it is today.

Maybe even a bigger storage cupboard for WorFlags [emoji38]

22 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Wonder how many fans of Sunderland, Leicester, Man City, Arsenal etc would love to swap back to their traditional home. Would be a high percentage imo (of those who experienced both ground anyways) 

I doubt too many Leicester, Sunderland, Man City and Arsenal supporters get genuinely teary-eyed about it beyond nostalgia for their own youth.  Highbury was a great stadium; Maine Road, Filbert Street and Roker were absolute dives by the end.  All of the grounds mentioned are pretty much central (Ashburton Grove is close enough to Highbury).