St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s the only question that stops me going all in on a new ground in the same location. Like I said, the fans will hate it but Sunderland seems the way to go. 

It’s not as straightforward as being in London, but it’s not as if there aren’t options. And money talks.

Honestly the biggest hurdle IMO for Sunderland or Boro is the fact this would need to be planned in advance and they could be in the PL. And I think it’d be more of a non-starter in that case.

Just now, aussiemag said:

Could they put temporary stands up at Kingston park? 

Knock down the stands, put big temporary ones up, then rebuild them for the women’s team once we are in SJP/new stadium. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I dunno, maybe with the right level of security and if they get paid loads of money. 

Their fans wouldn’t allow it imo. And rightly so. 

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Knock down the stands, put big temporary ones up, then rebuild them for the women’s team once we are in SJP/new stadium. 

Perhaps Gateshead is better located. Fans could still drink in the town before and after the match. 

Just now, aussiemag said:

Perhaps Gateshead is better located. Fans could still drink in the town before and after the match. 

Think it’s probably the only option

Ian is right mind, it’s a fucking shithole and a piss poor match day experience there 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Think it’s probably the only option

Ian is right mind, it’s a fucking shithole and a piss poor match day experience there 

Knock it all down and put temporary stands all the way around? some sort of temporary stack sort of stuff for changerooms and corporate. 

What’s is Kingston Park now, 5k? 

Any option which doesn’t involve a top-level stadium I just find hard to imagine. Have there ever been PL games played in such a makeshift place? 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

What’s is Kingston Park now, 5k? 

Any option which doesn’t involve a top-level stadium I just find hard to imagine. Have there ever been PL games played in such a makeshift place? 

Dean Court is tiny.

Do think it would be strange mind. Playing somewhere like that for like 2/3 seasons. 

Snippet from the Ronnie Gill as well, exciting times ahead -

‘Newcastle United insiders have insisted the club's big announcement on St James' Park in early 2025 will be "truly special" whatever pledge they decide to put on the table for supporters’

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

How long would it take to demolish and rebuild SJP? Two seasons?

Stifler is probably the only one who would know, +/- a day or two. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Stifler is probably the only one who would know, +/- a day or two. 

I’m interested in urban developments, but my knowledge of actual construction is more lacking.

At a guess, I’d say if you had the bulldozers in the day after our last game, then I wouldn’t expect to be playing back at SJP for 3 seasons at least, with a high possibility that we have to play that additional half a season or so elsewhere.

Had it been a blank site, you would say 2 years - 2.5 years if they pulled their finger out.

Reconfiguring Barrack Road would be a delay, so too would the Strawberry Road. You obviously have the Metro tunnels, and you can’t simply close the station and that be the end of the story, as the trains need to go into it to turn around.

You also have the additional complication that we have simply built over existing structures in the Gallowgate, and Milburn end.

I guess you could shorten some time by building as much as you can where the Metro station is, and getting some sort of ground works in on a bit of Barrack Road. Another complication is having the stadium too close to the developments on the other side of it, you absolutely don’t want to create a road that is too closed in by what would be high rise developments. It would block out light, make it look unpleasant, and would be similar to the urban alleyways that was typical of 60’s structures, with the potential of the social problems that comes with it.

Again, I still think 3 years at the earliest. 

Would it be possible to move a bit north, start building the far end of a new stadium and start the south end at the end of a season by demolishing the Leazes end? Would it then be possible to start the next season in new stadium whilst building work continues on the South end?

If the new stadium is to hold say 70k would you then be able to accommodate all the ST holders in the half built new stadium?

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Sounds like what I mentioned a while back. Remove Barrack Road and send traffic elsewhere to increase the footprint.

Aye, I recall saying the same.  Route it down Wellington Steeet and buy up that strip of buildings including between Pitt Street and Wellington Street including up to the garage.

Edited by Sima

10 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Would it be possible to move a bit north, start building the far end of a new stadium and start the south end at the end of a season by demolishing the Leazes end? Would it then be possible to start the next season in new stadium whilst building work continues on the South end?

If the new stadium is to hold say 70k would you then be able to accommodate all the ST holders in the half built new stadium?

As I said in my post, it maybe possible, but if you look at Spurs, they did this and still had 2 and a half seasons at Wembley, they arguably had more land to build more than what we will, and certainly less complications.

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would need to go the other way I think, it's deceptively big. 

I doubt castle leazes is ever going to happen.

It would cause flooding on Richardson road and probably in leazes park.

Have you even seen the bottom end of castle leazes moor next to Richardson road when it's rained a lot.

Next to exhibition park is probably the best place it used to have buildings on it anyway and it's better connected than Richardson road or barrack road

Thats exhibition parks lake at the right side of the photo

v3wrHSt.png

Edited by Arknor