St James' Park

Delima

9 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Really? The one that you posted a while back? That looked like a mix between a modern barn and a warehouse? If so, I wouldn’t live in it even if I was a homeless guy in Siberia during the winter. 

I guess architecture is subjective.

A warehouse style building in an industrial city fits in more than say the Mercedes Benz stadium does.

The Mercedes Benz stadium is a good looking stadium, but it sort of has to fit in with it’s surroundings.

If we were relocating to Castle Leazes and wanted the building to blend into it’s surroundings better, the SOFI Stadium design in LA would be a good blueprint of a modern stadium.

Think a more landmark building towering over the City appeals to me though.

image.thumb.jpeg.89c8b9a771f5e8bf21537914c0fccae4.jpeg

Edited by Whitley mag

10 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

A lot of discussion about what people want and what people don't want going forward, but there isn't much emphasis on what is realistically going to happen.

1. Move leazes terrace - no

2. Ground share with mackems - no

3. Build a temporary stadium - no

4. extend the gallowgate - maybe

5. Build a new stadium in leazes park - maybe

6. Anything done before 2028 - no

Get Out Leave GIF

47 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If we were relocating to Castle Leazes and wanted the building to blend into it’s surroundings better, the SOFI Stadium design in LA would be a good blueprint of a modern stadium.

Blends perfectly with the surrounding parking lots indeed.
image.thumb.jpeg.464202a26859a8a4bdebd3f984d44306.jpeg

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Is that centre parcs Penrith?!

29 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It looks like an airport terminal :lol: 

Call me old fashioned but a stadium should look like a stadium.

I'm not sure there's a way to blend a tens-of-thousands seater on the top of a hill into its environment. Make it an unashamedly gigantic statement of intent, if it's going to happen

32 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I'm not sure there's a way to blend a tens-of-thousands seater on the top of a hill into its environment. Make it an unashamedly gigantic statement of intent, if it's going to happen

SoFi is also built into the ground.  You’re already at least half of the way up in the stadium when you walk in at the ground level.

Just a more massive version of what we have with a built up East Stand and Gallowgate equivalent and something slightly different about each stand and ideally a curved 'Gallowgate' roof reflecting the Tyne Bridge behind it (can even light it green and trigger all the right people) cos I'm soft - would do me very nicely please.

Edited by Jonas

Sofi isn’t that large, it was built into the ground because it is too close to an airport, and couldn’t be too tall.

If you look at pictures of it inside, it’s basically just bleachers like the London stadium, and not proper stands, with proper concourse's. 

It’s certainly not the most spectacular stadium but if we are looking at building in Leazes Park for example and need to convince planners, it shows how a 70k stadium doesn’t need to be a towering monstrosity, I’m sure the Saudi’s would be more than happy to camouflage with it green paint as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.c550be832cc276ea70bb3871d904853b.jpeg

Edited by Whitley mag

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I've always had in my head that it should be a tribute to Grainger Town/Tyneside Classical but I have absolutely no idea what that would actually involve or what it would look like. Columns and sandstone I guess?

A sandstone facade might look absolutely class, or terrible. I cant decide. I really like how the main stand at Ibrox is made out of brick. A unique look compared to the glass and steel of modern stadia.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

A sandstone facade might look absolutely class, or terrible. I cant decide. I really like how the main stand at Ibrox is made out of brick. A unique look compared to the glass and steel of modern stadia.

That's the issue, play it safe with something that looks like every glass/steel structure in every big city in the world and could look dated in 15 years, or risk it and go with something that could be an eyesore mocked for eternity. 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Sofi isn’t that large, it was built into the ground because it is too close to an airport, and couldn’t be too tall.

If you look at pictures of it inside, it’s basically just bleachers like the London stadium, and not proper stands, with proper concourse's. 

I’ve been.

It’s fucking huge on the inside and the concourses are vast like mini plazas at every side.

The pitch of those terraces at the front wouldn't work mind so that would need to change.

sofi.thumb.jpg.801db9d4ae279589e51cd2f7b5ce65a8.jpg

Edited by Sima

I'd be desperate to see something vaguely unique and/or distinctive, whatever shape or material. SJP isn't an architecture marvel by an stretch but I'd be heartbroken to lose it in favour of a Spurs-like bogseat design.

I'm not sure something pastiche would necessarily be the way to go; I don't think it's essential that it should mimic something from the city - a sandstone facade would presumably be impossibly expensive so you'd be left with a pretend material just stuck on. But if it could be done really, really well - rather than a haphazard nod to something for the sake of it - maybe something like that could be cool.