St James' Park

Delima

59 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I have always thought that the current SJP is a spectacular looking place and therefore very pleasing on the eye . . . 

St James' Park - At Night (November 2022).jpg

You're a Newcastle fan, you aren't exactly going to be objective. :lol:

Take the fan specs off and look at it. It would look more at home at an Industrial park, same as Eldon Square tbh. But that's history now, and also part of being a city centre I guess.

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

Take the fan specs off and look at it. It would look more at home at an Industrial park, same as Eldon Square tbh. But that's history now, and also part of being a city centre I guess.

Tbh I’ve heard a fair few other fans like it too. It’s v distinctive with the heavily lopsided stands and glass 

33 minutes ago, TRon said:

Rubbish.

Also, if you knew me you would never say generalised inaccuracies like that !

23 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Tbh I’ve heard a fair few other fans like it too. It’s v distinctive with the heavily lopsided stands and glass 

They are football fans as well though, football people tend to like football stadiums.

Just now, TRon said:

They are football fans as well though, football people tend to like football stadiums.

More generalisations that are not necessarily true.

Also, we are actually talking about architectural appearance of ONE particular football stadium.

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In all honestly you could stick the San Siro at Gallowgate (still my favourite ground I’ve been to with NUFC) and I’d still think it was a blight on the landscape of the city.

Just personal taste :) 

Same here, landscapes are a big thing for me too, and I'm not a fan of huge concrete blocks, although as part of a whole city built like that it can look impressive. Just not my thing.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Same here, landscapes are a big thing for me too, and I'm not a fan of huge concrete blocks, although as part of a whole city built like that it can look impressive. Just not my thing.

Yep, totally agree.  And that Northumbrian light yellow sandstone that makes up huge swathes of Newcastle city centre is just beautiful.  Those views don’t need a concrete and glass behemoth looming in the background.

I’m definitely not advocating a move out of the city centre (it is where the club should be), but to me its presence there is a necessary sacrifice on the city’s aesthetics rather than the ‘cathedral on the hill’ patter

Just now, Kanji said:

Non football fans think SJP is fucking brilliant to look at too. It’s not an eye sore whatsoever. 

Stephen Fry once summed aesthetics up quite well for me - he said that beautiful buildings look like they’ve been pulled up from the earth instead of plonked on top of it

Newcastle’s Georgian city centre looks like it’s been hewn from the earth.  SJP looks like it has been plonked on top of it

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Stephen Fry once summed aesthetics up quite well for me - he said that beautiful buildings look like they’ve been pulled up from the earth instead of plonked on top of it

Newcastle’s Georgian city centre looks like it’s been hewn from the earth.  SJP looks like it has been plonked on top of it

Couldn't agree less with Fry's interpretation tbh. :lol: Architecture is an expression of humanities; good architecture respects nature but it doesn't have to be completely indistinct from it. He must love Hobbiton and Teletubbyland.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Couldn't agree less with Fry's interpretation tbh. :lol: Architecture is an expression of humanities; good architecture respects nature but it doesn't have to be completely indistinct from it. He must love Hobbiton and Teletubbyland.

Haha aye fair enough.  I think architecture can be awe-inspiring and impressive - but beauty is something else altogether.

Maybe I’ve been a QS too long - I’ve heard too many architects talking about their ‘vision’ and been irritated by listening to that shite :) 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Haha aye fair enough.  I think architecture can be awe-inspiring and impressive - but beauty is something else altogether.

Maybe I’ve been a QS too long - I’ve heard too many architects talking about their ‘vision’ and been irritated by listening to that shite :) 

In my role as manager of Skyscraper City I (and many others) encourage and admire beautiful architecture, old and new!

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, totally agree.  And that Northumbrian light yellow sandstone that makes up huge swathes of Newcastle city centre is just beautiful.  Those views don’t need a concrete and glass behemoth looming in the background.

I’m definitely not advocating a move out of the city centre (it is where the club should be), but to me its presence there is a necessary sacrifice on the city’s aesthetics rather than the ‘cathedral on the hill’ patter

This is me as well. I love the old sandstone architecture that makes up old city centre streets like Grey Street and Grainger town. Eldon Square looks like a monstrosity planted into the middle of it, and blocks the views of the old city to make it worse. But it is a personal take, don't expect everyone to agree with it.

3 minutes ago, manorpark said:

In my role as manager of Skyscraper City I (and many others) encourage and admire beautiful architecture, old and new!

Excellent :)

I’m cursed with the knowledge of how much sandstone builds cost £/m2, so I understand why they’re not built - usually because my profession will stick its tongue in its cheek and go ‘it’ll cost you’.  When what I really want to say is ‘go for it you mad bastard’

SJP is a mix really.

It’s great to be able to see the big stand from around the city, and I think the glass atrium is a good design aesthetic from the 90’s-00’s.

However the cladding panels are faded, and to be fair the cladding being recessed is a poor choice. On top of that the tunnel under the Milburn Stand, and Leazes stand is dark and dingy.

Also, the fact that aside from the glass Antrim, and the bar and club shop on the Gallowgate end, there is no real street level frontage/interaction to the stadium, and in my opinion, that’s a sin.

5 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Just to be clear, I think skyscrapers can look great if they are done as part of a town or city planning project. Manhattan for example is stunning, or at least it is at night. Just not my thing.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

This is me as well. I love the old sandstone architecture that makes up old city centre streets like Grey Street and Grainger town. Eldon Square looks like a monstrosity planted into the middle of it, and blocks the views of the old city to make it worse. But it is a personal take, don't expect everyone to agree with it.

New Eldon Square is a long standing act of cultural vandalism for which T Dan Smith was never adequately punished.  See also the destruction of the various streets and arcades the corrupt fucker destroyed.

Rant owa :) 

For clarity I live in Sydney these days, and the shimmering towers are stunning at night - either in Darling Harbour or the Rocks.  It’s an awesome sight

But it is context that counts - Newcastle will never have those shimmering towers.  But it has one of the outstanding city centres in the UK (and fuck yes I’m biased - but it’s also true!).

Again, NUFC should be a city centre club. But that involves an element of sacrifice to the city’s aesthetics.

Other opinions exist :) 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just to be clear, I think skyscrapers can look great if they are done as part of a town or city planning project. Manhattan for example is stunning, or at least it is at night. Just not my thing.

The "Newcastle Skyscraper City Forum" (despite the title) is not really about skyscrapers. It is about general urban life, developments and architecture.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/newcastle-metro-area.2258/

Edited by manorpark

There seems to be a constant stream of new build monstrosities going up in the city centre to satisfy the growing student demand all the time.  

As far as aesthetically pleasing buildings in the city centre go SJP is the least of your worries if it's something you're bothered about.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

New Eldon Square is a long standing act of cultural vandalism for which T Dan Smith was never adequately punished.  See also the destruction of the various streets and arcades the corrupt fucker destroyed.

Rant owa :) 

The marvellous Eldon Square Shopping Centre has nothing to do with T Dan Smith. Neither has most of the other stuff you mention.

Eldon Square Shopping Centre - Opened on 4th March 1976 (Newspapers) (2).jpg