St James' Park

Delima

DGt5RE7XoAAz9ED.jpg

Is nobody else here absolutely raging at the sight of this photo? What happened to the claim that this monstrosity would not hamper any expansion of the Gallowgate end?

This photo confirms the death of any hope of NUFC becoming a top player again in the Premier League. Ashley is about to wreck our future, permanently. His legacy will be here forever, long after he has gone. And our utterly inept City Council are going to let him do it too.  :'(

It's not just NUFC, it looks completely shit and it isn't really in keeping with the character of the city.

How the fuck can you go from this:

Grey-Street-Best.jpg

and this:

http://images-on.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/NE12-Newcastle-Quayside-Sunset.jpg

and this:

http://www.northern-horizons.co.uk/_images/pictures/N018B_411369207.jpg

to this shit:

DGt5RE7XoAAz9ED.jpg

DGt5RE7XoAAz9ED.jpg

Is nobody else here absolutely raging at the sight of this photo? What happened to the claim that this monstrosity would not hamper any expansion of the Gallowgate end?

This photo confirms the death of any hope of NUFC becoming a top player again in the Premier League. Ashley is about to wreck our future, permanently. His legacy will be here forever, long after he has gone. And our utterly inept City Council are going to let him do it too.  :'(

You don't necessarily need to build out to build up

main-entrance-of-the.jpg

You do need to go back to go up. What you're showing is it doesn't always have to be supported from the ground. Any expansion would encroach on that new building and block out any light, so would never be approved.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whoever said Newcastle is becoming a bit like Leeds/Manchester is right IMO. Far too many sterile looking, cheap and bland buildings popping up in prime real estate areas too. Thankfully I rarely visit the Centre these days, its awful.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah you're right, Leeds and Manchester City Centres are better away from the Quayside or Dean Street. Northumberland Street for example is the pits these days. Beggars, tramps, charvers and pigeons!

That huge luminous advertising screen they put up near the top of Northumberland Street is an abomination. Sums up some of the development, occupying space just for the sake of it with no effort to blend in to what is already there.

That huge luminous advertising screen they put up near the top of Northumberland Street is an abomination. Sums up some of the development, occupying space just for the sake of it with no effort to blend in to what is already there.

Yup. I think the Haymarket Metro station is one of the most hideous buildings I've ever seen too, made worse by the fact it's always covered in advertising boards for it's eternally empty office space.

Guest firetotheworks

Nah you're right, Leeds and Manchester City Centres are better away from the Quayside or Dean Street. Northumberland Street for example is the pits these days. Beggars, tramps, charvers and pigeons!

Nah, I meant that Newcastle City Centre isn't the way you say it is.

Whoever said Newcastle is becoming a bit like Leeds/Manchester is right IMO. Far too many sterile looking, cheap and bland buildings popping up in prime real estate areas too. Thankfully I rarely visit the Centre these days, its awful.

I appreciate I am new on here so I say this with all due respect, but you are talking nonsense when you say the city centre is 'awful'. I don't live in the city anymore, but I love close enough that it is always my destination of choice when going shopping etc. with the kids. I love taking them to the places I enjoyed as a young boy: Fenwicks (toy department!), Mark Toney's for an ice cream, Exhibition Park etc.

Yes, I would agree that there is a proliferation of student flats and development that could equally be at home in the likes of Manchester or Leeds, but if you can't see past that to admire the majesty of Grey Street, Grey's Monument and Grainger Town (never mind the units at the ground floor, look up!), or enjoy the likes of Fenwicks (give me that any day of the week over Harvey Nicks) and the brilliant pubs, then that is a shame.

I'm not that well travelled but I've been a few places and nobody will ever convince me that my home town isn't the greatest city on earth.

And yes I'm biased.

I appreciate I am new on here so I say this with all due respect, but you are talking nonsense when you say the city centre is 'awful'. I don't live in the city anymore, but I love close enough that it is always my destination of choice when going shopping etc. with the kids. I love taking them to the places I enjoyed as a young boy: Fenwicks (toy department!), Mark Toney's for an ice cream, Exhibition Park etc.

Yes, I would agree that there is a proliferation of student flats and development that could equally be at home in the likes of Manchester or Leeds, but if you can't see past that to admire the majesty of Grey Street, Grey's Monument and Grainger Town (never mind the units at the ground floor, look up!), or enjoy the likes of Fenwicks (give me that any day of the week over Harvey Nicks) and the brilliant pubs, then that is a shame.

I'm not that well travelled but I've been a few places and nobody will ever convince me that my home town isn't the greatest city on earth.

And yes I'm biased.

:thup: Couldn't agree more.

Newcastle city centre is miles ahead of the likes of Leeds and Manchester.

Neither of those cities have the iconic entrance to them. In fact, ask somebody that doesn't know Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester to name a famous landmark of each and I'll bet my bollocks they'll name one from the town.

I have no strong feelings towards Haymarket Metro station.

:lol: That's fair enough like. It's just lazy architecture. Ugly with a load of weird design techniques shoved together. Oversized and blocls off views to St Thomas Church and the Civic Centre, creates a weird shadowy alleyway between it and the adjacent buildings.

I mean it's a metro station, so nobody really cares what it looks like or how it functions, so it gets away with. Like you say with having no strong opinion on it.

Guest firetotheworks

Neither of those cities have the iconic entrance to them. In fact, ask somebody that doesn't know Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester to name a famous landmark of each and I'll bet my bollocks they'll name one from the town.

Agreed. Leeds has no real focal point or anything that makes it really stand out aside from The Royal Armories and the museum. Manchester's canny, but everything's really spread out. Newcastle and Liverpool both have that compact feel to them that I really like, Edinburgh's decent, London's what you make of it, and Brighton and York are great. More on cities next week.

I love Newcastle. Northumberland Street is a major downside but the rest, especially Grey Street, is beautiful. I'm going to Manchester in January as I'm going to Man City away (:anguish:) with a Man City supporting mate, him in the home end and me in the Toon end, and I doubt Manchester will be able to compare like.

Agreed. Leeds has no real focal point or anything that makes it really stand out aside from The Royal Armories and the museum. Manchester's canny, but everything's really spread out. Newcastle and Liverpool both have that compact feel to them that I really like, Edinburgh's decent, London's what you make of it, and Brighton and York are great. More on cities next week.

I liked Glasgow from the brief time I spent there the other month.

Guest firetotheworks

I was in Leeds for the Bradford game. It really lacks a core centre to it. Also thought the area where the Armories is around the canals is underwhelming; very unoriginal post-industrial development.

:thup: Cracking museum though.

Don't think the building in the picture is the problem, think it's the one further back that is the biggest problem as it's further forward and would be close to the footprint of an expenasion of the gallowgate. However Nexus are trying to get it moved further back because the current location would prevent an West end expansion from SJP Metro station.

http://i1.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article10164889.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/JS73415633.jpg

If either of the two proposals above are how it ends up then NUFC are screwed. Honestly, in 32 years of following NUFC I've seen plenty of heartbreaking moments....relegations, selling off local superstar players, blowing 12 point leads, Keegan being forced out etc etc but none of it hurts more than this. And that's because the damage done by ambitionless owners, inept managers & players, relegations & cup loses can all be repaired but this cannot be. Once it's completed it will be permanent. On of the most iconic city views is taken away forever and NUFC's status ceiling as a second tier Premier League club is cemented, destined to never again compete with the current top seven clubs in England. Hell, even Sunderland could eclipse us one day as they have ample room to expand to 60,000 and beyond.

When this abortion of a development is finished the vast potential that everyone feels has always been there, lying dormant, within NUFC is gone.