St James' Park

Delima

19 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye we were at Arsenal v PSV the other week (in the away end) and alcohol was on sale there.

People were drinking in their seats in the last round of games, think it was the Feyenoord one the cameras caught it

25 minutes ago, 54 said:

Those drone shots that have been taken the last few days :pedro:

He's got some knob about him that lad. He said: mirror mirror on the wall, make my knob touch the floor, so his legs fell off. [emoji38]

Edited by magvicar

Be interesting to see how they go about doing anything with East Stand. Difficult to envisage how it can be done without a complete knockdown and rebuilt considering there's next to no scope to expand it's footprint and it's already cramped enough as it is.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/10/06/newcastle-united-st-james-park-expansion-65000-capacity/

They can squeeze an extra tier onto the East Stand, but only if St James' Terrace bites the dust.

Just build a new stadium man, it makes much more sense.

He’s done well to knock something up with literally zero new information (apart from - if you’re being very generous - the estimated potential new capacity number).

Just now, SteV said:

He’s done well to knock something up with literally zero new information (apart from - if you’re being very generous - the estimated potential new capacity number).

That's not even new info. Mehrdad said himself a while ago that they hoped to expand to 65K.

I still think the feasibility study may be used as the reasoning to move/completely rebuild, rather than a modest expansion.

On Wednesday the club moved up a gear, you could just feel it, and I bet NUFC gained a lot of new fans that night. Will a modest upgrade to a creaking stadium really cut it, as football enters a new age? Not for me it wont.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

That's not even new info. Mehrdad said himself a while ago that they hoped to expand to 65K.

I still think the feasibility study may be used as the reasoning to move/completely rebuild, rather than a modest expansion.

On Wednesday the club moved up a gear, you could just feel it, and I bet NUFC gained a lot of new fans that night. Will a modest upgrade to a creaking stadium really cut it, as football enters a new age? Not for me it wont.

I’d say a 25% increase on a stadium already above 50k, is a bit more than modest.

But it’s a valid point on whether that really allows us to compete (on a stadium level) with the likes of Spurs.

The never ending modernisation v history debate I suppose.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

I’d say a 25% increase on a stadium already above 50k, is a bit more than modest.

But it’s a valid point on whether that really allows us to compete (on a stadium level) with the likes of Spurs.

The never ending modernisation v history debate I suppose.

It's not just about adding capacity though, it's also about adding and improving facilities such as corporate, catering & accessibility, and pitch views too. I don't see how extending Level 7 to Gallowgate and a small, additional tier to the East Stand does that by any significant manner.

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I don't want to move like. No way. 

It's the location, rather than the stadium itself for me.

The city centre location is non-negotiable, be it on the current footprint, Castle Leazes or the Arena site. But everything else is up for debate, for me anyway.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

It's not just about adding capacity though, it's also about adding and improving facilities such as corporate, catering & accessibility, and pitch views too. I don't see how extending Level 7 to Gallowgate and a small, additional tier to the East Stand does that by any significant manner.

You would think they will desperate to include some additional corporate in whatever they are able to do.

Generally, I’d agree with your point though. We’d be sacrificing the ‘quality’ of stadium for location and heritage.

34 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I don't want to move like. No way. 

It's the location, rather than the stadium itself for me.

I always feel a bit of an outsider on this topic as a non-local but this is it for me.

They could knock down and rebuild the entire thing for all I care. It doesn't feel like so much history lost. Does anyone know the actual oldest part of what's currently in place? East Stand from the '70s?

Moving from the land itself though feels different. The closest I've come to acceptance is all the talk of Leazes Park, but feel an agreement should be in place that the old stadium site make up for the loss of green if so.

Moving much further just feels like a loss of something in my mind. 

6 minutes ago, wormy said:

I always feel a bit of an outsider on this topic as a non-local but this is it for me.

They could knock down and rebuild the entire thing for all I care. It doesn't feel like so much history lost. Does anyone know the actual oldest part of what's currently in place? East Stand from the '70s?

Moving from the land itself though feels different. The closest I've come to acceptance is all the talk of Leazes Park, but feel an agreement should be in place that the old stadium site make up for the loss of green if so.

Moving much further just feels like a loss of something in my mind. 

Sounds daft, but it’s the continuation of history. 

The East Stand is connected to the old Edwardian West Stand, as they were both in situ at the same time. And with the East Stand it has been developed to what we now know today. If the East Stand was knocked down, that connection would continue on to the new Leazes and Milburn. Sounds stupid, but there’s something in that continuation for me. It makes it real.

Moving just wouldn’t do it for me. Even if it guaranteed my ST back