St James' Park

Delima

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I reckon Stiffler does it on purpose now like.[emoji38]

Only found out it never had a R in it a couple of days ago.

For what it’s worth, St James’ Park was originally St James Park, and no one knows when it changed, but it hasn’t officially.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Same reason everyone thinks it is St James’ Park, because everyone pronounces it that way.

I think there's only you who "pronounces" it like that on here mate.:)

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

Same reason everyone thinks it is St James’ Park, because everyone pronounces it that way.

There’s a general lack of clarity on that tbf.  Though if it is meant to be the possessive then it definitely should be pronounced ‘Sint Jameziz’, regardless of whether or not there is an ‘ or an ‘s.

If only English had a genitive form …

20 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There’s a general lack of clarity on that tbf.  Though if it is meant to be the possessive then it definitely should be pronounced ‘Sint Jameziz’, regardless of whether or not there is an ‘ or an ‘s.

If only English had a genitive form …

Unless there were two people named James, whom both happened upon the park, and whom both happened to be saints, and the park was named after both of these beatific characters, then the correct written form is surely St.James's Park?

Yeah, the absolute correct written form is St. James's Park but St. James' Park is acceptable and you'd pronounce the 's anyway whether it's written or not. It's about possession. 

Exeter City's ground is just named after St. James (with no possession) so for them it's St. James Park. 

It's just a little confusing because James has an s on the end. If a stadium was named after a St. John then it'd be St. John Stadium or belonging to him would be St. John's Stadium. Belonging to many St. Johns would be St. Johns's Stadium (or St. Johns' Stadium but pronounced the same). Named after many St Johns would be your simple St. Johns Stadium.

Of course there's no such thing in the entire written English language as a plural apostrophe despite what's often written and doesn't annoy me at all. Not even one bit. I don't even know why you mentioned it. 

:milner:

Now if you don't mind I'd better deal with all these beautiful women who've suddenly appeared out of nowhere at my door. I was all set for a much quieter Sunday evening. 

Edited by number37

27 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Wonder if instead of the usual stadium expansion that we get in the U.K. such as the new Anfield road end, we might do something like Real Madrid and take all the roofs off every stand and totally reconfigure the seating layout.

https://x.com/JADanielsDesign/status/1712139455966941371?s=20

I think there is at least a possibility that everyone is thinking too small in terms of design and scope. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Wonder if instead of the usual stadium expansion that we get in the U.K. such as the new Anfield road end, we might do something like Real Madrid and take all the roofs off every stand and totally reconfigure the seating layout.

https://x.com/JADanielsDesign/status/1712139455966941371?s=20

For the sake of perspective, where's The Strawberry on there?