St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I fucking HATE the whistles before the end mind.  Seeing a old man doing it somehow pissed me off even more

That one person who does the slide whistle EVERY goalkick.... 

22 minutes ago, madras said:

I noticed the clock on the TV now continues beyond 90mins, where as it used to just stop on 90.

Might be wrong but think it’s a rule that was introduced this season across all clubs. 

On 01/11/2023 at 13:36, AJ9 said:

Very surprised if the rail network could handle that to be honest, even then you’re talking about possible 2.5 hour journey if you factor in metro and trams either end. Coaches up the A1 would be shite as well. As much as I love Edinburgh I doubt that would be an option. 

I’m travelling from Edinburgh each game and it’s usually around 1 hour 30/40 min depending on stops. I’m not sure they’d even have the number of trains available even if the owners were to splash the cash and pay for one after the other for 4/5 hours before and after the game. You could send some via Carlisle and into Haymarket too I suppose. It’s probably the most realistic option if you are going to keep all ST holders going and avoid Sunderland though. 

2 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

I’m travelling from Edinburgh each game and it’s usually around 1 hour 30/40 min depending on stops. I’m not sure they’d even have the number of trains available even if the owners were to splash the cash and pay for one after the other for 4/5 hours before and after the game. You could send some via Carlisle and into Haymarket too I suppose. It’s probably the most realistic option if you are going to keep all ST holders going and avoid Sunderland though. 

Aye but that's you and maybe 30 others. Add 40,000 all going back and forth at the same time. 

11 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

Yeah I mean it would be a massive challenge logistically with trains, trams even before you’re getting into negotiating with the SPL/SRU about other sporting events going on in an Edinburgh. As much as I would love it tbh I can’t see that happening. 

11 minutes ago, OCK said:

Aye but that's you and maybe 30 others. Add 40,000 all going back and forth at the same time. 

There’s probably around 500 if you include Berwick too, but I agree it’s still fairly unrealistic. After Sunderland, if you’re wanting close to 50k in a stadium, it’s probably second option.

Just imagining football fans in the 80’s discussing the acoustic merits of a football stadium

”Ya Tarquin. I think it’s the sound deadening qualities of the donkey jacket that’s affecting noise projection”

What would people prefer, 20k at Darlington or Gateshead with 15-20k season ticket holders told to suck it up, or 51k at Murrayfield and ‘it’s a pain in the arse, but get there if you can’ and no ‘punishment’ if you decide to defer your ST until the work is completed?

I suspect the SFA wouldn’t allow it anyway. 

5 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

What would people prefer, 20k at Darlington or Gateshead with 15-20k season ticket holders told to suck it up, or 51k at Murrayfield and ‘it’s a pain in the arse, but get there if you can’ and no ‘punishment’ if you decide to defer your ST until the work is completed?

I’d absolutely love Murrayfield tbh but then I love Edinburgh and could get there and back easily in a day from the Highlands.

2 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

Money talks I suppose and I very much doubt the SRU who owns Murrayfield are in a position to turn down big money, but I don't see why we'd need to move whilst the work is being done anyway. The extension from 36k to 52k was pretty massive and we only lost a few hundred seats to accommodate a temporary floodlight pylon in the NW corner then.

Liverpool have managed to get Anfield from 44k to 54k without losing any capacity and their latest development going from 54k to 61k has only cost them 3k seats whilst the work is being carried out.

We'd only need to move if it was a demolish and rebuild on the same site, moving further across towards Barack Road/rotating the pitch as has been theorised. Which I don't think is ever going to happen.

If it's a phased Gallowgate/East Stand rebuild you would only have a reduced capacity for a short period. If it's a rebuild on Castle Leazes then no need for any reduction at all.

16 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

We'd only need to move if it was a demolish and rebuild on the same site, moving further across towards Barack Road/rotating the pitch as has been theorised. Which I don't think is ever going to happen.

If it's a phased Gallowgate/East Stand rebuild you would only have a reduced capacity for a short period. If it's a rebuild on Castle Leazes then no need for any reduction at all.

Not even sure there'd be a need for reduced capacity. I don't think Liverpool did, they built above and round with the stand staying open.

East Stand possibly.

Just now, madras said:

Not even sure there'd be a need for reduced capacity. I don't think Liverpool did, they built above and round with the stand staying open.

East Stand possibly.

We would likely need to demolish the east stand in its current guise, anyways I think this is all a long way off. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

We would likely need to demolish the east stand in its current guise, anyways I think this is all a long way off. 

I'm not so sure about that but it wouldn't be as large an extension as the Gallowgate.

One advantage of a temporary move to Edinburgh would be developing our supporter base there.

In theory we should be the best supported club in the Edinburgh area due to geography and history, although I imagine we're way behind the usual 3/4 clubs.

3 hours ago, madras said:

East Stand possibly.

Anfield is currently operating at about 4k under capacity because there is no Anfield Road open right now.

I think there's a chance you'd have to have a reduced capacity for a bit just because of the complexity of the build. But you could definitely limit the amount of time needed by building around the stand first - and would obviously time the final stages ideally for the off-season (which is what was meant to happen at Anfield).

Edited by ponsaelius

7 hours ago, madras said:

I noticed the clock on the TV now continues beyond 90mins, where as it used to just stop on 90.

Wish the ones in the corner on the advertising would do the same. 

Assumed the lack of reception in the ground was just cos it's not possible to service 50,000 phones on that small of an area, but had no problem getting reception at Dortmund when there were 81,0000 in the ground so it gives me hope that with the power of German engineering it may be doable one day.